Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Makes me ashamed of our so-called intelligence service.
Newly released documents show that Canadian security officials suspected early on in the Maher Arar affair that their U.S. counterparts had shipped the Ottawa engineer off to a third country to be tortured.

Previously unreleased sections of the report by a public inquiry into Arar’s ordeal show that an official of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service in Washington wrote to his superiors in the fall of 2002 about so-called “rendering” to third countries by the FBI and CIA.

The CSIS officer reported that Arar’s detention and subsequent handover added up to just such a case — where U.S. authorities could not legally hold a terrorist suspect or wanted them questioned “in a firm manner.”

The deputy director of CSIS, Jack Hooper, stated in a memorandum dated Oct. 10, 2002: “I think the U.S. would like to get Arar to Jordan where they can have their way with him.”

The newly released documents also show that the RCMP was in contact with the CIA at the time.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2007/08/09/4405427.html

In the words of Bruce Cockburn... "If I had a rocket launcher..."
Actually, I'd like to see all those that bumbled in this be fired without compensation.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The 'intelligence community' is the same the world over, you think Canada's would operate any differently the say the US? Please..... ;)

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting that you practically want the guillotine for a kid accused of killing someone, but find torture of a Canadian humourous
What’s ironic is that those decrying the evil Taliban and demonize them see nothing wrong with sending someone to be tortured (or is it rendered?) -

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
What’s ironic is that those decrying the evil Taliban and demonize them see nothing wrong with sending someone to be tortured (or is it rendered?) -
that's because for some Arar isn't a real Canadian
you know the kind Don Cherry likes
Irish/Scottish and born in Kingston
oh and white too

hell, for some i'm practically an immigrant and should know my place and only speak the Queen's English

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
interesting that you practically want the guillotine for a kid accused of killing someone, but find torture of a Canadian humourous
I don't remember saying that but whatever. i don't know full details on Arar and I assume most don't either. There is stuff we don't know, I don't know why the US wants him, and I'm sure most don't either.

If he's innocent, then there is no excuse for him suffering...if he is guilty of something...then I couldn't care less...

I have no opinion on it really....just thought the term "have their way with them" was funny.

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
New RCMP boss helped censor Arar report (Globe & Mail)
“Given what we now know about what they are trying to suppress, it's obviously a concern that the person who is now accountable for the RCMP took such a limited view of the public's right to know about the errors and mistakes committed by the force,” said Lorne Waldman, a lawyer acting for Mr. Arar.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New RCMP boss helped censor Arar report (Globe & Mail)
That makes me feel so much better about the guy that is supposed to build up its tarnished image....

One of the guys that has lied Canadians is now in charge.... nice to see puppets in power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts