Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
The Santa Rosa chips are out and LED backlighting is in the works so yes there is something coming.

is it worth taking a REV A plunge...not sure. Current units with 3 gigs of RAM are pretty potent laptops.

IF it incorporates flash disc augmentation....that's a big deal.
Apple just bought millions of the flashchips - way more than needed for iPods so something is up.
Still a lot of new stuff that could be terrific...or cause issues.

http://www.physorg.com/news97924420.html

http://xtreview.com/review194.htm

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Seems to me all these improvements are marginal at best.
Nothing earth-shattering from a user point of view.

If you need to live on the bleeding edge of technology, then of course these new laptops are for you - for the rest of us an opportunity to get a super MacBook Pro at a better price.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
So if I order a MacBook Pro today would Apple ship the old version to me or make me wait for the new one-assuming the rumour sites are right and Apple releases the new stuff on Tuesday?
I don't think we'll see any new announcements until June 11th when Mr. Jobs does the keynote at the developer's conference.

A new MacBook Pro would be targeted at the developer's community.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
I concur - June looks like the right timing.

This IS a big deal if the flash ram aspect is announced.

It's still significant for battery life and power allowing a desktop to get into the performance zone of all but the top desktop boxes.

With SATA hard drive access through the busport .......big gun indeed.
Already is.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah, the LED and a possible new video chip would be the two big reasons for an upgrade IMO.

But like some of you have said, why change if you have a stable setup? I have my PowerBook setup just the way I like it. And I have a stack of non-universal binary games to play through still.

hmmm... I think I am going to keep my PB. I will wait for an integrated BR drive and a video chip that will allow me to play Oblivion in Boot Camp.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
KRS - read the Turbo memory link I posted. It's a big deal....not just for laptops.
Hard drive i/o is the biggest performance bottleneck and also a power drain.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
KRS - read the Turbo memory link I posted.
In this thread? All I see is two links about the santa Rosa chip set.

When I read up more about the flash RAM incorporated with the hard drive, I come across a lot of concerns about the finite number of read/write cycles one gets with flash memory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is it possible that the "way more flashchips than they need for iPods" (not exact quoting, too lazy to do that) are for iPhones?

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
KRS - it's there.

••

Flash? Not in those numbers for iPhones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts