Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Toronto crime rate among lowest in country: StatsCan
The Toronto area has the second-lowest crime rate of all large urban regions in Canada, behind Quebec City, according to figures released Wednesday by Statistics Canada.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2007/07/18/to-crime.html

Canada's crime rate lowest in 25 years: StatsCan report
Contrary to a common misconception about big cities, Melchers said, large urban areas such as Toronto are among the safest communities in the country.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/07/18/crime-stats.html

Time to get tough on crime (while it's still around) -

No, we will never eliminate crime but hearing Harper speak, you'd think that large Canadian cities are awash in violence...

I do predict that crime will raise - as we have had the biggest drop during Liberal years and Connies mostly 'eff up on this.
Harper's plan on crime will increase taxes but have little to no effect on preventing crime...

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I bet the family of Jane Creba and other victims of gun violence in Toronto would think a bit differently.

Frankly, having just lost a family member to a drunk driver, yeah, I think it is time to get tough on all sorts of crimes, from senseless ones such as drunk driving to malicious and violent ones such as murder and gun violence.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
As just has no idea what is brewing. Stats can be and ARE misleading.

Too many young Canadians will die at the hands of gang members as drug violence escalates. The only solution is to stop it now. Anything short of that will result in murders rising in every major city in Canada.

If you want to be with the AS crowd and stick your head in the sand, fill your boots.

But unchecked, it WILL go up. Watch it happen.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree about what should be done: enforce the laws we have, don't let criminals out early for any reason; get tough.
Sensible enough.
But let's not forget that socio-economic factors are also at work.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As just has no idea what is brewing. Stats can be and ARE misleading.
Ah yes, the doom and gloom scenario - courtesy of Harper...
Will this be a self-fufilling one due to his direction in the government after years of reduction during the Liberal years?

Too many young Canadians will die at the hands of gang members as drug violence escalates. The only solution is to stop it now. Anything short of that will result in murders rising in every major city in Canada.
Legalize drugs them.
Why is it that right-winger always dream of some big daddy fascist police state? Is there a genetic misfiring of the neurones in the brain chemistry that replaces common sense?

If you want to be with the AS crowd and stick your head in the sand, fill your boots.
Quick, turn Canada into a police state!

But unchecked, it WILL go up. Watch it happen.
Are you saying that it's not working now? With an ageing population, you'd expect less youth crime....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Ah, the old bait SINC with his name in the thread trick. How juvenile.

Ah yes, the doom and gloom scenario - courtesy of Harper...
Nope. Courtesy of me. You keep jumping to conclusions. I thought this long before I ever heard of Harper.

Will this be a self-fufilling one due to his direction in the government after years of reduction during the Liberal years?
I dunno. Will it? You're the know-it-all.

Legalize drugs them.
Them? Little rusty on the English are we? ;)

Why is it that right-winger always dream of some big daddy fascist police state? Is there a genetic misfiring of the neurones in the brain chemistry that replaces common sense?
Pretty poor English sentence structure, but the insult rings loud and clear. Is that common in your area? What province do you live in again?

Quick, turn Canada into a police state!
Not necessary. Just put a lid on young punks before they rule us.

Are you saying that it's not working now? With an ageing population, you'd expect less youth crime....
No, sadly it is not working now. Like I stated earlier. If we don't curb what is currently developing, sit back and watch it happen AS.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Vancouver is different, (or perhaps more accurate?)...

Wednesday, July 18
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - "Vancouver is bucking a national trend and it's not one to be proud of. While crime declined 3% across Canada last year, it actually went up in Vancouver. Police Constable Howard Chow says assaults were up nearly 7%, and property crimes continue to rise as well. Chow says 8,000 Vancouver homes are broken into each year, along with more than 16,000 cars."

Of course with our downtown east-side, all bets are off.

:(

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm glad that as the resident turdmonger, you live in that fantasy land of constant fear.

The report is hardly a vindication of your hard line on crime - what it does indicate is that like most generalizations that you make, they are not based in reality.

If there are some "pockets" of crime due to drugs, then the solution is easy enough - legalize drug use - heck let the government become the middleman, regulate quality and increase revenue.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the peak crime rate was during the Mulroney years?

The out of control crime myth is one that you like to project. Now you are inventing boogeymen in the form of drug pushers... Heck, the crime rate in your area is higher than Toronto.
Sorry SINC, but that hollow echo of Harper (you know the gangs, guns and crime) if we don't get aggressive on crime does not jive with the facts.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I'm glad that as the resident turdmonger, you live in that fantasy land of constant fear.

The report is hardly a vindication of your hard line on crime - what it does indicate is that like most generalizations that you make, they are not based in reality.

If there are some "pockets" of crime due to drugs, then the solution is easy enough - legalize drug use - heck let the government become the middleman, regulate quality and increase revenue.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the peak crime rate was during the Mulroney years?

The out of control crime myth is one that you like to project. Now you are inventing boogeymen in the form of drug pushers... Heck, the crime rate in your area is higher than Toronto.
Sorry SINC, but that hollow echo of Harper (you know the gangs, guns and crime) if we don't get aggressive on crime does not jive with the facts.
hmm, how to phrase this so Baloney's flotilla of lawyers don't come knocking on my door....?
let's just say Baloney himself didn't help lower the crime rate
is bribery still a crime?
yeah, that's bland enough to escape even the most rabid of his attack dogs

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
No, we will never eliminate crime but hearing Harper speak, you'd think that large Canadian cities are awash in violence...
That's unfair. When a white girl gets shot in downtown toronto, people scream at the politicians to "Do something!". Everybody to David Miller (Toronto's Mayor) up to the Prime Minister took the "Tough On Crime" stance.

I do predict that crime will raise - as we have had the biggest drop during Liberal years and Connies mostly 'eff up on this.
Harper's plan on crime will increase taxes but have little to no effect on preventing crime...
Crime rises as social programs are cut. Who's responsible for social programs in Toronto? Not the federal government. The Toronto City Council is the most inept, money wasting government ever. They are now in the process of slashing programs to balance the budget, all while expecting the provincial government to ball them out AGAIN.

FYI, the Toronto City Council is extremely NDP heavy, so you would think "social programs for all". Only problem is, their mentality of "Money Is Free, and We Should Spend As Much As Possible" has bankrupt this city.

No Money = More Crime. Thanks Toronto City Council!

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
So if you want to get tough on crime you're a turdmonger and live in a fantasy land, what are you if you want to get tough on GHG emissions?

And to me it seems that they are basing their statistics on charges laid, but what about all of the cases that are not solved, where are they factored in?

And one might think that TO's rate along with other major cities is skewed due to the number of immigrants they take in each year. What will happen when this slows?

·
Registered
144 Posts
AS is incapable of making a post referring to me without it containing an insult or a nasty name.

Very sad, don't you think?

Juvenile too.
We're all entitled to our opinions and beliefs and we shouldn't be subjected to personal insults and name calling on this board or elsewhere. With that I agree.

But in the same vein, I don't understand how you can say it's "very sad" and "juvenile" when you do the same...

http://www.ehmac.ca/560051-post11.html

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if you want to get tough on crime you're a turdmonger and live in a fantasy land, what are you if you want to get tough on GHG emissions?
No, if you constantly exaggerate or ratchet up the fear factor based on some paranoia then you are a turdmonger.
Enforcing present laws or assuring that the law is applied properly is different.

And to me it seems that they are basing their statistics on charges laid, but what about all of the cases that are not solved, where are they factored in?
You'd have a better point if you tried to include "unreported" crimes...

And one might think that TO's rate along with other major cities is skewed due to the number of immigrants they take in each year. What will happen when this slows?
Toronto is not a major crime area. The comment about immigrant seems like a cheap shot akin to the xenophobia expressed by turdmongers....

Crime out West is worse...

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's unfair. When a white girl gets shot in downtown toronto, people scream at the politicians to "Do something!". Everybody to David Miller (Toronto's Mayor) up to the Prime Minister took the "Tough On Crime" stance.
Public outcries do influence the talking points.

Crime rises as social programs are cut. Who's responsible for social programs in Toronto? Not the federal government. The Toronto City Council is the most inept, money wasting government ever. They are now in the process of slashing programs to balance the budget, all while expecting the provincial government to ball them out AGAIN.
I'm not sure that social programs are the only solution.
I think that there will always be a "threshold" of violence (human nature is what it is)

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
No, if you constantly exaggerate or ratchet up the fear factor based on some paranoia then you are a turdmonger.
And this doesn't apply to global warming how?

You'd have a better point if you tried to include "unreported" crimes...
So are you admitting that the statistics in the article are skewed? As long as the gangs stay tight lipped TO is safe because your statistics say so? We'll only count the collateral damage?

Toronto is not a major crime area. The comment about immigrant seems like a cheap shot akin to the xenophobia expressed by turdmongers....
No cheap shot, just some critical thinking, when immigration grows faster than crime rate, your per capita number gets skewed. I'm sure if TO's population growth slows those numbers will become more accurate.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts

1. our gov't still seems bent on believing that GHGs aren't a real problem in need of a solution even tons of evidence abounds
they talk instead of decades and meet with oil barons to ask their permission to try to do something for the environement - to wit the former minster of env., the not so great rona ambrose that practically denied GHG problems, but now she's in the 2nd row, and mute like a stepford wife

2. how many Canadians die and feel ill health due to pollution not to mention the fiscal and social cost relative to that of crime? yet crime gets poltician's attention and dollars
why for that matter are cigarettes still so readily available?
let people buy loose tobacco and make them on their own

3. how can one take a gov't seriously when they have someone in their cabinet that believes the world is only 6,000 years old?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.