Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. It's got to be the 52xx series and the 62XX series.

What about you folk? :mad:

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
Yeah, I once had a 5200 - what a dog. Still, I like the form factor...

In terms of usefulness as a computer, I'd have to pick the original Mac Portable (I own a non-working one). They should have called it the "Mac Luggable". 'Course, it did get something like 12-hours per battery charge (lead-acid motorcycle battery)

M

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
My Mac IIvi - a trusty machine (it's still going), but the shortest lived (it was discontinued in February '93 just four months after it was introduced). Some Apple techs I spoke to didn't even believe there was such a machine. Heh, I wonder if it would be a collector's item now.

·
Premium Member
30,965 Posts
5300 Powerbooks..c'mon baby light my fire - burning batteries, machines falling apart - literally- arguably the worst Apple product.
Quadra 950s because they had barbed wire inside.. I bled every time I fixed one and their immensely long and immensely expensive scsi cable tended to cook itself and break and it was really hard to diagnose.
The first generation 8100s..they got better but these were bears
The first generation 8500s and 9500s especially with OS 7.5.2 - first pci Macs - just unusable for the first 6 months.
6400/180s ..can we say slooooow for $4200 the biggest rip off ever
then early REV A Blues..just plain ornery :mad:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
30,965 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
5300 Powerbooks..c'mon baby light my fire - burning batteries, machines falling apart - literally- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, a 5300 never actually caught on fire in customers hands. In Apple's lab a battery overheated and started to burn - that was the extent of it. I believe there are a couple of Dell laptops that actually burned after being shipped to the customer.

The worst Mac model ever was the MacTV. Only 5MB RAM, 16-bit colour maximum at a time when 8MB was minimum, and most Macs could do 24-bit colour.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a IIvi years ago kicking around a used PC shop. The owner tried to snow me for $300.00 'cause he said it "....is a Mac and Macs are very expensive".....um yeah.

Anywho. I talked him down to $30.00 (long story). I brought it home and it needed a new PRAM battery. I used it at school (I'm a teacher) for my reports and general word processing.

Why then am I posting it here? Well, I read the history on this machine and wondered WHY Apple made this when the IIvx was twice as fast? The IIvi was an expensive bird compared to the long lasting IIci (in my opinion one of the easiest older Macs to work on and troubleshoot....heck, I had one acting a FileMaker Server for my students....it ran for 5 years without powering down! It was replaced by a PowerMac 8100/80).

So.

I too dreaded the killer 950 case as well as the PowerMac 8100 series. One had to memorize the sequence when removing the parts to get at the Ram. Sheesh. What a pain!

I never owned a 5300 series of PowerBook although I felt the first generation of Books were dogs.

Interesting stories from fellow Mac-heads.

Check this out:
http://www.nextro.com/nextro/japanese/IIcig3.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts