Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
981 - 1000 of 1016 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
Now I have not followed Walking Dead for the last few years, so maybe there is something they are expanding on from the current stories, just seems a strange place to take a tv show that is well suited to long story telling and character development.
The Grimes character was helicoptered elsewhere with grievous injuries a year ago and left the main series. This appears to be an effort to captalize on the interest of any fans who were in it just for Rick.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The Grimes character was helicoptered elsewhere with grievous injuries a year ago and left the main series. This appears to be an effort to captalize on the interest of any fans who were in it just for Rick.
..... and to get him the heck of the show for those who were loosing interest in the show because of Rick :lmao:

BReligion

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
..... and to get him the heck of the show for those who were loosing interest in the show because of Rick :lmao:

BReligion
I've gotta say that if you ran a timeline of Rick's leadership it looks like a constant stream of terrible errors and misjudgements, massive casualties and catastrophic loss. It became laughable to see the other characters talking about how much they needed his leadership.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I've gotta say that if you ran a timeline of Rick's leadership it looks like a constant stream of terrible errors and misjudgements, massive casualties and catastrophic loss. It became laughable to see the other characters talking about how much they needed his leadership.
Yup... I think that was a major major plot device for Rick obviously is "Heavy is the head that wears the crown". I think was the core of the Rick Grimes character and it was just over used for too many seasons.
He tried not to be the leader (S3 in the prison), when he just became Farmer Rick (which was stupid and boring), and again in Alexandria when he just wanted to be Officer Grimes again. I don't fault all of the characters completely for following. Anyone could have taken the leadership role or splintered off into their own group (say in seasons 1-6). Some did, most didn't... and struggle or not, he did as "leader" keep most of them alive for a long time. No one else stepped up to take Leadership and keep it.
Lots of past characters died because of their own stupid actions as well as his... but his guilt/vision/moral struggles were getting long winded after so long and with them splitting into the various city/states they did it didn't make sense to keep beating that dead horse.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
There were too many stories where one of his decisions would logically have ended in the deaths of everyone--but the writers saved the day. I think of all of the vanquished groups they welcomed with open arms--especially the seniors who were "rescued" from the Governor's colony. All dead.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
It’s like anything: the novelty wears off after ten years. I really don’t know what the writers of either show could come up with at this point that would seem intriguing and original and I don’t think there is enough interest in Rick Grimes anymore to make one standalone movie let alone three. I prefer a series that runs its logical course rather than beating a dead horse.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
Ultimately, the characters themselves are not interesting enough to carry the show past novelty. The longest running dramatic series succeeded on character development and the likeability of the actors playing them. Walking Dead, on the other hand, took its most likeable characters and killed them for the sake of shock value — which lasts a couple of minutes.

I agree that the Rick Grimes story now has the appeal of a dish of cold, leftover mashed potatoes. Who cares about that guy?

It’s like anything: the novelty wears off after ten years. I really don’t know what the writers of either show could come up with at this point that would seem intriguing and original and I don’t think there is enough interest in Rick Grimes anymore to make one standalone movie let alone three. I prefer a series that runs its logical course rather than beating a dead horse.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
I thought I'd drop by and share my thoughts on Season 5, Episode 15, "Channel 5"

...but then I read this, and realized, I couldn't do it any better....
I took a breather at Episode 9, "Channel 4."

I figure that the cost of producing these episodes must be half the cost of a normal show. These are appalling, episodes. Listening to "reporter lady" go on about her "stories" is bordering on the comic. But the sanctimonious nature of these characters is unbearable. How many times have we heard these same stories? How many more times will they be recycled as profound revelations?

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
As I slowly make my way through the remaining FTWD episodes, I note how often both series kill interesting dramatic arcs because they want to be "fresh" in their random storytelling. Killing Logan seconds after he commits to working with the survivors to produce gas is simply appalling storytelling. It lets the viewer know that investing any interest in a character or situation is a complete waste of their time.

The new female badass, Virginia, is a total bore--and a bad actor.

Tom's death and the aftermath were laugh-out-loud bad.

Will also add that the most moving moment of the season finale was the sad death of a horse.

Budgets for this series must be running low, because so many of these episodes involve long periods of time where people sit holed up in small quarters and talk a lot. It appears that the zombie apocalypse came about just so that people could engage in endless self-reflection.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdea...re-showrunners-andrew-chambliss-ian-goldberg/

Dissatisfied Fear the Walking Dead viewers have launched a petition calling for the firing of showrunners Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg. The petition, put into motion by “BRINGBACKFEAR TWD” on Change.org, calls for Chambliss and Goldberg to be removed and replaced by original three-season showrunner Dave Erickson, who co-created the series with The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman. The petition argues Erickson’s successors rebranded the spinoff for a new audience, a move that was a “huge insult to the original fans and to Dave.” ...

Network AMC has yet to address largely negative fan feedback that has plagued Fear all season. Unfavorable fan reactions to a recent episode went so far as to call the spinoff “unwatchable,” and more reactions to “Channel 5,” the penultimate episode of the season, had some commenters calling it a franchise worst.

On Rotten Tomatoes, a 60% critics rating gives Fear Season 5 the lowest TomatoMeter score of both shows. Its audience score, 28% from 105 user ratings, is similarly the lowest of the entire franchise. This is down from Season 4, certified fresh at 81% with an audience score of 62%. Season 3 won the highest approval with 83% from critics and 72% from audiences, topping its premiere season (77% critics, 60% audience) and its sophomore season (70% critics, 54% audience).

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
TWD 10th season opener was a muddle, but somewhat enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
It was better then. And now that family is gone except Alicia.
Don't get me wrong - I found the characters of Madison, Travis and Nick annoying in the extreme. Alicia had potential. I stated earlier in this thread that I'd be interested in seeing the show follow Ophelia's journey across Zombieland. But the writing has never been particularly good on this show (I see some folks raving about the Season 3 (?) episode "100", which I'll have to go back and rewatch before I retract my statement on the writing).

In any case, FTWD certainly hasn't gone in a direction that I enjoy...

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I found the characters of Madison, Travis and Nick annoying in the extreme. Alicia had potential. I stated earlier in this thread that I'd be interested in seeing the show follow Ophelia's journey across Zombieland. But the writing has never been particularly good on this show (I see some folks raving about the Season 3 (?) episode "100", which I'll have to go back and rewatch before I retract my statement on the writing).

In any case, FTWD certainly hasn't gone in a direction that I enjoy...

It always felt to me like a bad remake of a 70’s cop show for some reason. In any event, I watched the premiere of Season 10 last night and I think they did an admirable job with what they have to work with. Still hard to imagine Negan could be content with picking tomatoes though.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
Anyone see the trailer for the unnamed THIRD Walking Dead series? Nothing to inspire here, folks.

981 - 1000 of 1016 Posts