Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
961 - 980 of 1016 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about Negan. There's Hilltop and the Kingdom and the fishing village within a relatively small area. I wondered why he gave up so easily on such a small sampling of teritory before agreeing to go back to jail.

I can’t say I was impressed. The Whisperers lacked any mystery or menace, with one being taken hostage so soon. I agree that, oddly enough, the Negan parts of the story ended up being the most intriguing. But would he really want to come back to his cell?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about Negan. There's Hilltop and the Kingdom and the fishing village within a relatively small area. I wondered why he gave up so easily on such a small sampling of teritory before agreeing to go back to jail.
I haven't read them, but I believe I heard in the books he locks himself back into the cell to try to show trust with Rick (who is still around in the books). He doesn't leave Alexandria at all at that point in the story.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
Yeah he does. And he's having little talks with Carl, not his younger sister. In the comics, he's also pivotal in the Whisperers' storyline--and may be here as well.

I haven't read them, but I believe I heard in the books he locks himself back into the cell to try to show trust with Rick (who is still around in the books). He doesn't leave Alexandria at all at that point in the story.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
I never finished up the last two or three episodes of The Walking Dead as I kept falling asleep. The comic series finished in July with an anti-climactic death for Rick. Carl's still alive.

FTWD is renewed for the fall.

I watched some episodes of Black Summer, but found it flat. Weak characterizations, generally unoriginal situations and that oddball cheapness that expects the audience to accept mass extinction alongside relatively tidy neighbourhoods. Also tired of the colour-drained blue-grey video pallet. The series has the distinction of being filmed in Calgary, which doesn't quite pass as the USA.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I never finished up the last two or three episodes of The Walking Dead as I kept falling asleep. The comic series finished in July with an anti-climactic death for Rick. Carl's still alive.

FTWD is renewed for the fall.

I watched some episodes of Black Summer, but found it flat. Weak characterizations, generally unoriginal situations and that oddball cheapness that expects the audience to accept mass extinction alongside relatively tidy neighbourhoods. Also tired of the colour-drained blue-grey video pallet. The series has the distinction of being filmed in Calgary, which doesn't quite pass as the USA.
I tried watching Black Summer, made it through most of the series but it was awful and the characters incredibly frustrating. If the zombie apocalypse is happening there is no way I am walking around without a weapon of some sort, be it a gun, baseball bat, club, chair, anything. Mix that with characters constantly leaving doors open behind them. The one that really stands out was that guy who ended up Fire Station. Probably a pretty secure place, but he goes in leaving the door open behind him after and sure enough a zombie follows behind. He gets away in the station, gets an axe, has the zombies head lined up and still fails.

I also have trouble believing things like nightclubs or bars would be operating. They had that secret under ground club going on. I just do not buy it. I thought the show looked good and could have had an interesting story but it all just fell flat. I do think I liked it a bit more then Z-Nation though.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
I tried watching Black Summer, made it through most of the series but it was awful and the characters incredibly frustrating. If the zombie apocalypse is happening there is no way I am walking around without a weapon of some sort, be it a gun, baseball bat, club, chair, anything. Mix that with characters constantly leaving doors open behind them. The one that really stands out was that guy who ended up Fire Station. Probably a pretty secure place, but he goes in leaving the door open behind him after and sure enough a zombie follows behind. He gets away in the station, gets an axe, has the zombies head lined up and still fails.

I also have trouble believing things like nightclubs or bars would be operating. They had that secret under ground club going on. I just do not buy it. I thought the show looked good and could have had an interesting story but it all just fell flat. I do think I liked it a bit more then Z-Nation though.
I enjoyed Z-Nation, but other than the basic premise, these series could not be any farther apart.

The world-building is incredibly spotty here, as you say. The zombie apocalypse is too clean by half and nobody seems to have much trouble finding what they need.

·
Premium Member
17,987 Posts
I'm up to Episode 7 of FTWD. And still, the writers make terrible, stupid, illogical, banal decisions in character and plot.

Sigh.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
Not sure if these are writing errors or what passes for tension building among amateur writers. When Dr. Smith of Lost in Space did stuff like this, and the Robinsons forgave him, you knew it was part of a wink and a nudge at the audience.

I'm up to Episode 7 of FTWD. And still, the writers make terrible, stupid, illogical, banal decisions in character and plot.

Sigh.

·
Registered
807 Posts
FTWD was really good this (half) season.. Yes some stupid choices made with writing, but overall I really enjoyed it.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I enjoyed Z-Nation, but other than the basic premise, these series could not be any farther apart.

The world-building is incredibly spotty here, as you say. The zombie apocalypse is too clean by half and nobody seems to have much trouble finding what they need.
I will admit watching Z-Nation and yet hated it. Like a train wreck I could not look away. I was simply comparing it because they are both zombie shows and both in my opinion garbage. Z-Nation tries to be funny and humorous and in most cases I think it fairs... and yet I still watched.

I understand the world is fiction, but inside the realm they create I do like and expect realism, not shows fail miserably at that.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
I will admit watching Z-Nation and yet hated it. Like a train wreck I could not look away. I was simply comparing it because they are both zombie shows and both in my opinion garbage. Z-Nation tries to be funny and humorous and in most cases I think it fairs... and yet I still watched.

I understand the world is fiction, but inside the realm they create I do like and expect realism, not shows fail miserably at that.
Once I saw the Liberty Bell gag on z-Nation, they won me over. The last season lost me entirely. The reason I pointed out the different approaches is that Black Summer actually identifies itself as "Based on Z-Nation."

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
I used to be a big fan of the Walking Dead, but I think they jumped the shark about the time they killed off Glenn. There was something about the two horrific and graphic deaths in one episode that was just...too much. And then following that with life as usual episodes thereafter. My wife and kids were fans up to that point too, and that was about when they stopped watching. On Fear, I like Garret Dillahunt and Jenna Elfman, but it’s also not interesting enough to me to keep watching. Not even Dwight. Kind of like Star Trek: Discovery—there’s just something missing. They all started out with great promise too. There are few series that stay consistently good from start to finish, apart from, say, The Leftovers.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
I watched the last 8 episodes of FTWD over the past week. My goodness, that was weak, preachy stuff. The contrived plot devices, from rockslides to nuclear meltdowns and plane crashes were painful to behold. What's all this nonsense of having to get "over the mountains" by plane? They're in Texas!! And why can't they drive where they need to go? The stuff with the hot air balloon was bottom of the barrel--the worst green screening I've seen in some time. The hot air balloon didn't even have a source of heat or an opening on the bottom to catch the hot air.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I watched the last 8 episodes of FTWD over the past week. My goodness, that was weak, preachy stuff. The contrived plot devices, from rockslides to nuclear meltdowns and plane crashes were painful to behold. What's all this nonsense of having to get "over the mountains" by plane? They're in Texas!! And why can't they drive where they need to go? The stuff with the hot air balloon was bottom of the barrel--the worst green screening I've seen in some time. The hot air balloon didn't even have a source of heat or an opening on the bottom to catch the hot air.
It was pretty ridiculous but still leaps and bounds better then seasons 1 and 2 lol.

I am sure they did make mention either on the show, or on Talking Dead about their half assed rationale as to why they had to fly into the area. I think it was because the roads through the mountains were deteriorating or impassable or something.. of course there was only 1 way in/out. I don't recall for sure... but they definitely didn't address how Dwight got in.. oh oh maybe he secretly hitched a ride (stowaway) on the bottom of the helicopter that took Rick away in TWD and just let and parachuted in somewhere over Texas chasing Sherry.. or quickly escaped it when it landed to drop off the mystery Stormtroopers..yeah that's it lol

The hot air ballon was so stupid I ignored it. As I was watching the episode that they totalled the other planes propellers (which was a cool way to deal with a herd, I must say) I thought they were going to somehow retrofit some massive exhaust fan/blades from the power plant as the propellers for the plane.. which may actually have been more plausible then the balloon :lmao:

BReligion

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
The walker death by prop was the highlight of the season!

I also laughed at one line--when Dwight calls the creatures "walkers" and everyone else say "huh?"

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
BReligion, I mentioned theatrical releases involving Rick Grimes, to which you replied:

The "movies" will be aired on AMC as AMC Studios original content, no major motion picture studios...
I'm hearing now that the first movie will be going to theatres.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm hearing now that the first movie will be going to theatres.
Yeah I heard the teaser at Comic Con said in theatres.....Originally my comment was based off what what they (Gimple and Kirkman) had said at the time on Talking Dead when they announced it.... Not shocking that AMC and TWD has changed their minds :lmao:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ch-will-be-a-theatrical-release/#4304cc2be084

The last rumblings we were hearing about these Rick Grimes spin-off movies, the thought was that there would be three in total and they would probably just end up airing on AMC, serving as big-budget, double/triple episodes every year or so.

But now, this teaser makes a big point of revealing that The Untitled Walking Dead Rick Grimes Movie Project will be only in theaters, which is kind of a big deal.
and

https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_(Film_Series)

It was announced on Talking Dead on November 4th, 2018 that Rick Grimes and Anne would return for at least three AMC original films following their leave from the TV Series.

These films would air on AMC (rather than theaters) and be a direct continuation of Rick's story.

·
Premium Member
42,770 Posts
I think they'd better hurry up with those films, no matter where they are shown — those franchises are growing as cold as 10-year-old walkers.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I think what makes Walking Dead so great is the tv format. They have had time to explore characters far beyond anything you can do in a movie limited to a few hours. I feel a movie would just be some rushed story long tv episode trying to fit a beginning and ending in 2 hours. Now I have not followed Walking Dead for the last few years, so maybe there is something they are expanding on from the current stories, just seems a strange place to take a tv show that is well suited to long story telling and character development.

961 - 980 of 1016 Posts