Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone once told me to never, ever, ever, EVER purchase the first generation of an Apple product... and recently this has become quite clearly good advice... especially with regards to the new 15" powerbook and Panther. Takes a few revisions, but eventually their stuff just all-out rocks. With Apple, it pays to wait!

Robin

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Personally speaking, I think that advice is a load of crap for the most part. My brother bought a G5/1.6 GHz, and has NO problems it; installed Panther and has had NO problems with - both 1st-generation products. People make a big deal out of every 1st-generation product that comes up for simply no good reason.

I mean, yes, some 1st-generation products have their flaws here and there, but to avoid them completely simlpy doesn't make sense.

[ November 04, 2003, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Lars ]

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
You will have people on both sides of the fence but it's the case with most first-generation products. They always have a few more bugs than succeeding generations. Personally, I like to wait until second-generation before I buy anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its indeed a "general" statement and is not true in all cases, however its true enough of the time to make it a good rule of thumb.
IMHO unless you really need Panther, best to wait for 10.3.1, specially if 10.2.x works fine for you and your machine is not a toy but a required tool.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
Where would you place the new G4 iBooks, in that iBooks have been around for a couple of years, as have G4 systems. Is "throwing the two together" considered a true first-generation system? Just curious. Paix.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Good question Dr. G...

Panther 10.3 - first generation
G5 Towers - first generation
15 Alunimum PB - is considered first generation

iBooks, i don't know. They just changed the processor and slot loading drive, I think you have to change 50% or more. Then again these are major changes.

I would like to see how hot this new iBook runs. Don't forget, plastic melts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
never, ever, ever, EVER purchase the first generation of an Apple product
For what it's worth - I object to limiting this advice to "Apple" software and hardware. It is impossible to beta test computer products under every circumstance out there before releasing them in the market place. So yes you're taking a chance if you buy a first generation product of any sort. And I challenge anyone to prove that this risk is any greater on Apple products compared with those from other manufacturers.

Also, for what its worth, we need people to take that risk. If nobody buys the first generation of a product, there will be no second generation. If it seems like a decent product, take the plunge. Support innovation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My rev A iBook 300 runs just fine, thank you. No bugs at all.

I don't remember them being too problemsome and I hear the G5's are rock-solid (very few complaints).

I think it's bunk.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I'd say that, GENERALLY, you're okay with Apple's hardware -- although they have started to slip a bit over the past couple of years.

As for their OSes, you could upgrade to new versions of mac OS Classic without too much fear. With the young Mac OS X, however, 3rd party things have a tendency to get broken with new updates. on mission critical systems, I would definitely research your software and driver maker's support before upgrading (wise for anybody to do).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, for what its worth, we need people to take that risk. If nobody buys the first generation of a product, there will be no second generation. If it seems like a decent product, take the plunge. Support innovation.
Absolutely, if you have what it takes to fix your own problems and if you can afford the down time, by all means, beta testers are an integral part of anything new. Just make sure you understand that when you jump in early, you realize that's what you become.... ;)

Purchased the first model of the VW Passat in ~1991... Oh Boy!!!! There were parts failing on this buggy that never fail on Fords even :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
And there are always customers who can't afford to wait for the 2nd rev - perhaps they need the new features and they need them yesterday. Again, for their own sake these customers need to have above average troubleshooting skills. The new features may not work at first, but by working through the problems, these customers often get the features they need fixed and working by the time they need them. Some people, myself included, find it fun to be in this situation. Even if we don't need the new features, we want to see them in action and start using them, and are prepared to face restoring from backup. As far as being shipped a defective product is concerned - that's always a possibility for any revision and everyone should have a plan for that eventuality, eg. don't sell your old computer until the new one is burned in, and be prepared to be tough on the customer service reps.
So, "never, ever, ever" is much too strong in my opinion. It's a matter of personal taste. Yes, some people prefer to work on a Sun Ultra 60, while some will pre-order the next P4 with 2MB L2 cache. Experience will tell you which one you want to be. It's probably somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
never, ever, ever, EVER purchase the first generation of an Apple product...
Sorry dude, but this could apply to most commercial goods as far as I'm concern. There is always a risk in doing so. Does that mean you should not get it? Of course not. I bought the 1st gen Acura EL. Few issues, but not many. That was a way bigger financial risk too... What about consumer elecs?? lots of issues there, and this is with 2nd-3rd gen units. name the manufacturer and I'll find issues/challenges. I still buy the goods.

W/ respect to the ibook?? :confused: since there's a slight form factor change (new slot), I might consider it a new rev - but I'm far from convinced of that...

H!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I bought one of the very first iMacs, the 233Mhz Bondi Blue. I used it for two years and sold it to a friend whose two boys used it for three more years. My friend sold it to a mutual friend and now his daughter is using it. It has been, and continues to be trouble free after all those years. So much for the assumption that all Apple first generation products are bad. That iMac rocked!
:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
My first Mac was a Plus... Still in use for word processing by a brother in law who really can't afford anything else... Works great. Tonnes of games on it too.
That's the problem when people generalize, doesnt mean they are wrong just means they aren't always right

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
Heart, it does not seem that the new iBooks contain anything that has never been seen/used in other Macs, so it seems as if they have combined a variety of important upgrades all at once. The announcement seemed to take everyone by surprise, at least on sites such as MacSurfer and MacNN.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have a first generation flat panel imac, and though it has had no problems, it seems apple improves their rev. a's very soon after they release them. six months after i got my imac the 17" came out "damn it!". I want a G5 but I'll wait and keep an eye on the rumor sights before I make the plunge.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Statistically speaking first gen. products including cars, computers, etc. usually have the best track record for dependibility.

Consumer Reports did an article on this about 6 months ago, they stated that problems usually rise as product life increases, (although in Apple's case I dont believe this to be true).

They contribute this fact to the amount of effort that goes into making sure the first gen. product succeeds in gaining market share.

Parousia

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have had my G5 1.6 gHz for 2 months now and I love it. I'm running Panther as well, no problems. Before that I owned a G4 733 and it worked without a hitch also.

If you are wondering why I sold my dual 867 MDD G4...well I wanted to burn DVD's (400.00 upgrade) I wanted a faster computer (how do I put a price on this $$??) I also wanted to get the most trade in value for the G4. If I had waited untill next February or March I might have lost 400 or 500 trade in value on the G4. My G5 1.6 is much faster than the dual 867 MDD. I have tested programs with the same project files and the G5 beat the dual 867 each time. The G5 1.6 did not beat the dual 1.25 MDD at work in every test. But it equalled it in most and beat it in all the audio applications, which is what I mostly use my powermacs for. I know that a dual 1.42 MDD G4 will beat my G5 1.6 in photoshop and after effects, but I don't do that kind of work at home. For me the first generation G5 1.6 is fullfilling all my personal requirements. And can we talk about quiet...there is no comparison to the G4 MDDs. The G5 is just plain silent. Well...mine is since I changed the power supply cooling fans to ultra quiet VANTEC STEALTHs, I'm almost possitive that it's pretty close to my friends G4 CUBE, because he upgraded the CPU and had to add a fan to his, and the fan he put in is very noisy!

For every pissed off mac user/owner out there I can only say that I'm extremely happy that nothing has gone wrong with my G5 thus far or any Apple computer that I have owned.

So I have only one thing to say to people who fear buying a first generation mac product...I don't think I'll comment. But I think you can figure it out.

I have owned powermacs and powerbooks for 10 years and I have never had an apple computer give me any trouble ever! Never had to take a single mac in for repair.

Apples I have owned :

Quadra 900
Quadra 840av - still using today for word processing
Powermac 6100/66
Powermac 7100/66
Powermac 8100/110 - still using today for internet & word processing
Powermac G4 733
Powermac G4 dual 867 MDD
Powermac G5 1.6 - works great, my main machine
Powerbook 150 - still using today for word processing
Powerbook 190 - still using today for word processing
Powerbook 520 - still using today for word processing
Powerbook 5300 - still using today for internet & word processing
Powerbook 1400 - still using today for internet & word processing

The old macs are very slow but at the cottage or travelling with the powerbooks, they get the job done. Every time!

[ November 04, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Timothy J ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts