Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gone is the 500Mz iBook, Hello Powerbook. This thing really cooks, but barely gets warm, even after an hour's gaming. Ahhhh, life is good. :)

[ October 08, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Sinc ]

·
Registered
591 Posts
I also got the superdrive, no dead pixels.

I only have the stock 256 ram in it right now, the moment I get some more cash I'm going to max him out.

Have you folks 'named' your books yet? (throwback to another thread)

I dubbed mine [argento], the italian word for silver.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the new Powerbook club :) I picked my 12" iGhz up last week (Superdrive) & upgraded it's memory to 768MB + added Airport Extreme. This machine continues to amaze me. Great battery life, puts out less heat than my previous Ti/iBooks. Apple has done a marvelous job.

Cheers,
D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Maybe we should re-name this thread "The Silver Clubhouse" and see how big we can make it.... lol

waddayasay Sinc?

·
Registered
125 Posts
can I join the "Silver Clubhouse" despite being a pixel pariah? Or do all pixels have to be functioning in order to join your club?

One more thing - for the new owners of revision 2 Powerbook G4: when you close your lid, is there any "play" in between the lid and the palm rest? Or is it a tight fit? My powerbook seems to have a bit of play between the lid and the palmrest, so that when it's closed, if I were to shake it, it would start rattling.

I borrowed a friends revision 1 powerbook G4 a while back, and there was absolutely no play in between the lid and the palmrest, they both fit together very snug. So I'm wondering if it's just me, or if the revision 2 has a bit more play.

Adam

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Great battery life
What IS that batt life like?? I'm really starting to take a good look at this one. The sub notebook size is really getting me. I wish I was able to get my hands on this iBook that was selling out here... wanted to see whether or not I could deal with that 12" screen.

H!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Welcome to the Clubhouse Adam! All are welcome!
My 12" has 'play' as well, but at a closer inspection there are two small pads at the top right and left of the screen that is bridging the distance between the screen and keyboard.

Perhaps this is a fix to avoid the nasty defect in the Pismo that caused the keyboard to leave marks on the screen.

_F

·
Registered
591 Posts
Oh Henri , I don't know about Sinc's opinionon screen use and battery time.

I find the 12" screen a little 'little', it's clear and bright, but my last machine was a 14.1" Pismo so it takes time to get used to. I'm sure I will eventually.

I've only had one chance so far to test (actually prime) the battery. I used it pretty much solid presenting and then playing games for about 4.5 hours. I'd like to see in subsequent tests how these times hold out.

I'll report back when I test some more...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"The Silver Clubhouse" it is then fellows! I calibrated my battery as per the instructions in the manual. Haven't had a chance to try it out to see how long it will last, but it took me 4 hours to run it down during the calibration process and I did that mostly by running the CD to play Tiger Woods Golf. As for the screen, my old iBook was the same size so it is familiar to me. Come to think of it I never did have a problem reading the screen. I simply adjusted the type size a little bigger than I was used to on my eMac. Result is I can read it fine, just have to scroll more, but I bought a McCally two click mouse with scroll wheel to solve that problem. Besides, I kind of like the way this mouse glows red all over!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy Cow! I just visited the Apple site and looked up an AppleCare package for my Powerbook G4. Would you believe they want $539.00 U.S.? Sheesh, that seems a lot to me considering I paid about $239.00 CDN for my last iBook. Is it just me, or is this awful expensive (well over 30% of the unit's original cost) to others too?

·
Registered
292 Posts
i traded in my powerbook g4 ti550 for a 12" powerbook g4 867 and have been loving every minute of it..

don't be fooled about small screen size or heat issues, this gets no hotter then my ti550 ever did

i got the ram maxed out and airport extreme card installed

long live the silver clubhouse!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sinc I KNOW ! Even the educational cost for a Powerbook applecare is $499 CAN,

I'm hoping to find another 'used' applecare for sale....

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
AppleCare isn't cheap, but if you develop a problem, its worth every penny.

Can I join the Silver Clubhouse with my QuickSilver? Or is it only the Aluminum books that look silver colored?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well tonight I had the first awful experience with my new powerbook.

I was making a presentation connected to an LCD Projector, I stopped to use the white board so I closed my lid to put the machine to sleep to save battery power.

When I then went back to the machine to continue the 'digital' part of my presentation I lifeted the lid and ....

NOTHING HAPPENED!!

The machine did not wake up, I tried the mouse, the keyboard, NOTHING WORKED.

I then figiured the machine turned off so I hit the power key. NOTHING

I tried a restart key/power key
. NOTHING

SO there infront of 16 students I had to flip it over, find a coin, (the new battery doesn't open without one) pull the battery, re-placing the battery, then trying turning it on again.

FINALLY IT STARTED, nearly 10 minutes of frigging/waiting for the restart..... (which took a VERY long time)

I am a wee bit pissed.

I had plenty of juice left in the battery....if you were wondering...

Does anyone know what happened?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts