Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

The Shangri-la Clubhouse

13M views 133K replies 249 participants last post by  Macfury 
#1 ·
In that it appears that the Monster Thread has died a quiet but noble death, I propose that this thread take it's place. Hopefully, it shall contain all that was good about the Monster Thread -- a thread of peace and tranquility, of humor/humour, wit, satire,and silliness. It was an oasis from all the troubling news that is all too real in the world "beyond the horizon". It provided all who came a cool drink of water and a momentary respite.

Personally, the Monster Thread was a place where I could wish you all a peaceful good night, or greet you with a smile and a cup of freshly brewed coffee.

We cannot recreate the Monster Thread, just like it is not possible to recreate the original Woodstock. It is something that just happened, with no overt plan, no rhyme or reason. Yet, in my honest and sincere opinion, it served a valuable purpose for our community. Friendships were made in this thread, and only concerns and worries were lost, albeit momentarily.

Thus, I propose that this thread inherit all the good qualities of the Monster Thread, and, as the Phoenix before it, rise out of the ashes of technological "flames". I would also propose that the Shangri-la clubhouse have no leader (sorry Kosh for your one-term in office postion). Let it be free to wander where it might go, free from the talk of more serious and relevant matters that have their open debates in all the other threads.

RIP Monster Thread. You were of, by and for the people of ehMacLand.

In the words of William Wordsworth

"What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;

We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be."

[ February 15, 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Dr.G. ]

See less See more
#130,802 · (Edited)
In 9 days not sure what my internet status will be so someone else will have to take over.

What will be happening in 9 days... other than your internet status might be changing...??? 😏

Opps, I guess I should have scrolled down a bit further and I would have seen it confirmed what I thought maybe happening was going to happen...

Will your new house be ready or is this just an interim move???

It seems questionable if the paint in the new house would even be dry... 😏

Morning Marc...move date?....
Sept. 15th

- Patrick
=======

#130,803 ·
What will be happening in 9 days... other than your internet status might be changing...??? 😏

Opps, I guess I should have scrolled down a bit further and I would have seen it confirmed what I thought maybe happening was going to happen...

Will your new house be ready or is this just an interim move???

It seems questionable if the paint in the new house would even be dry... 😏

- Patrick
=======
Moving to a rental while our house is being built.

#130,804 ·
Morning all. A nice sunrise is forming in the East. Coffee is brewing.

#130,807 ·
Just got back in from a walk with the wife, beautiful morning.
I am often curious when I see the expression "the wife" used when wouldn't the proper grammar be to say "my wife"??? It seems that it is used very often, but maybe that depends on where one lives.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a nice morning walk with your wife.

BTW, do you live right downtown or very close to a city and if so do you have a park or something close by that you can walk in???
But then again, I guess a walk in a downtown City could be quite interesting and nice as well with lots of things to look at and see, but I have never lived anywhere close to a large city, or even a small one or Village for that matter.

- Patrick
=======

#130,808 ·
Moving to a rental while our house is being built.

Have you sold your current home already???

It is a nice looking house with a large yard so I imagine you should not have too much trouble selling it.
How is the Realty Market in Lunenburg and the general area these days???

Family home Realty prices in the local General Victoria area are crazy and the average family home is now selling for 1.25 million dollars!!! Gheese... There is also an awful lot of building going on and some of the building supply prices are just crazy, and a lot of trade jobs openings available and not enough trades people to fill the positions.

- Patrick
=======

#130,809 ·
Have you sold your current home already???

It is a nice looking house with a large yard so I imagine you should not have too much trouble selling it.
How is the Realty Market in Lunenburg and the general area these days???

Family home Realty prices in the local General Victoria area are crazy and the average family home is now selling for 1.25 million dollars!!! Gheese... There is also an awful lot of building going on and some of the building supply prices are just crazy, and a lot of trade jobs openings available and not enough trades people to fill the positions.

- Patrick
=======
Yes, the house sold to a couple from Toronto in three days. They wanted out of the city and move here. A smart move.

#130,810 ·
I am often curious when I see the expression "the wife" used when wouldn't the proper grammar be to say "my wife"??? It seems that it is used very often, but maybe that depends on where one lives.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a nice morning walk with your wife.

BTW, do you live right downtown or very close to a city and if so do you have a park or something close by that you can walk in???
But then again, I guess a walk in a downtown City could be quite interesting and nice as well with lots of things to look at and see, but I have never lived anywhere close to a large city, or even a small one or Village for that matter.

- Patrick
=======
If you are worried about grammar, don't end your sentence with a preposition.

#130,811 · (Edited)
If you are worried about grammar, don't end your sentence with a preposition.
Quite correct, if I was writing some sort of formal essay or dissertation and then that rule is usually absolutely correct— especially if one was speaking or writing Latin...
It's not really considered a writing error these days to end a sentence with a preposition, but it is considered to be a little less formal, and would certainly fit the format of casual emails or within a forum such as this. 😏

EDIT:
Gee, I see the old preposition rule is much more relaxed than I thought it was these days according to a lot of hits using a Google search, and not even Grammarly that I use caught any error in my post.

So it seems to be quite acceptable these days to use a preposition at the end of a sentence with casual usage eh???

- Patrick
=======

#130,813 ·
I didn’t think the common expression ‘the wife’ would elicit such a backlash, but such is the nature of things these days.
Yeah…now if you want to really have some fun…we could say that the term “my” has the connotation of ownership…….but let‘s not go down that rabbit hole.

#130,816 ·
Morning all. A sunny Fall like day here, so some OtHD coffee is brewing. Enjoy.

#130,819 ·
Silence is golden ................. duct tape is silver. :)

#130,820 ·
Morning all. Wild night with the storm and tornado warning....
You seem to be getting more than your fair share of storms lately, especially thunderstorms I understand... Tornado warnings must be rather scary... How does one protect themselves from such storms???

Basements if a house even has one doesn't seem to be a very good idea when you see pictures of houses completely collapsed.

- Patrick
=======

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.