Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

129561 - 129580 of 129811 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
G'Morning All
I'd like to inject a bit of humour here, just to balance off some of the miserable weather we've had lately.

Points to Ponder ( stolen from a very old newspaper)

What happens if you get scared half-to-death Twice?

If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously over-looked something!

Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

And that is... something
Morning Bill....how things? We are cooler here with a mix of sun and cloud. Sounds like you guys were hammered with wind, rain...and did I hear snow as well?

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Morning all. Coffee is brewing on this quiet first day of May. Enjoy.
Whatever happened to the May Day Festivities...????

Nearly all May 1 Celebrations seem to have died away or have been cancelled for the last several years, especially if they had any sexual overtones which are a bit odd as that is where how and why most of them started. 😉

- Patrick
=======

·
}<-('o')-
9,812 Posts
Hello Shang! May Day! May Day!

I'm not much for heights either.... I can't get close to the edge of anything without an overwhelming feeling of vertigo or strangely, my feet tingling... It's like they are telling me to GET BACK! GET BACK!

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
I don’t think it’s that bad. Kinda when you first step out on it, but you quickly realize you’re safe inside a very thick building. These bridges and others like them, the open air thing yikes. Not for me ;)

Reactions: Dr.G.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Whatever happened to the May Day Festivities...????

Nearly all May 1 Celebrations seem to have died away or have been cancelled for the last several years, especially if they had any sexual overtones which are a bit odd as that is where how and why most of them started. 😉

View attachment 93889

- Patrick
=======
Patrick with all the stuff going on I think people are confusing May Day with May Day

·
Canadian By Choice
117,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129,568 ·
I have done that a number of times, it isn’t too bad. Maybe at first…
Good for you. However, you shall walk alone if I am with you.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129,569 ·
Marc, I think you are going to confuse things further with your May Day comment... 😉

- Patrick
=======-
All I did was wish everyone a good first day of May with some freshly brewed coffee.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Patrick with all the stuff going on I think people are confusing May Day with May Day

And I wonder how many actually know the difference between and when to use MAYDAY and/or PAN-PAN???

Of course, neither are of any real value unless repeated three times in a row, so "May Day" should be quite clear as to its meaning in a normal conversation. 😉

- Patrick
=======

·
Canadian By Choice
117,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129,571 ·
Morning all. A quiet Sunday here. Coffee is brewing and thoughts of possible brunch possibilities come to mind. Enjoy. Stay well and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Morning all. A quiet Sunday here. Coffee is brewing and thoughts of possible brunch possibilities come to mind. Enjoy. Stay well and stay safe.
Morning Marc, a bit warmer here today but rain on the horizon. Wasn’t a bad night sport-wise for me as the Mets and Leafs both won

·
}<-('o')-
9,812 Posts
Good Morning Shang,
Another warmish and mostly sunny day here in Calgary.

It's hard not to get too ambitious in the yard/garden yet....Most everything is coming up and greening and the garden beds clear and warming up. BUT! But...we have learned time and time again that there is still a real chance of a hard frost or even freeze...and that would wipe out any seedlings/bedding plants and new growth...plus, the good bugs need the leaf litter to be undisturbed a bit longer. I am an organic gardener and the good bugs are part of my gardening team.

So patience is key.....(sigh).

I attended an online hummingbird seminar a few days ago - I'm going to try to set up to attract them to my yard ...I will have a lot of flowers to offer but I also but I have a few handicaps.... I don't live within a mile of a natural water source and I have two Magpie families that frequent my yard. Hummers usually scout locations within a mile of natural water sources and magpies are a predator to them.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Good Morning Shang,
Another warmish and mostly sunny day here in Calgary.

It's hard not to get too ambitious in the yard/garden yet....Most everything is coming up and greening and the garden beds clear and warming up. BUT! But...we have learned time and time again that there is still a real chance of a hard frost or even freeze...and that would wipe out any seedlings/bedding plants and new growth...plus, the good bugs need the leaf litter to be undisturbed a bit longer. I am an organic gardener and the good bugs are part of my gardening team.

So patience is key.....(sigh).

I attended an online hummingbird seminar a few days ago - I'm going to try to set up to attract them to my yard ...I will have a lot of flowers to offer but I also but I have a few handicaps.... I don't live within a mile of a natural water source and I have two Magpie families that frequent my yard. Hummers usually scout locations within a mile of natural water sources and magpies are a predator to them.
I always think of Magpies as Crows in formal wear......

·
}<-('o')-
9,812 Posts
I always think of Magpies as Crows in formal wear......
Hahah. Yep - They are all wearing little tuxedos....

Much to the chagrin of one of my less favourite neighbours, I feed them too. I really enjoy the whole Corvidae family of birds...had a wonderfully smart pet crow once when I was a youth and lived out in the country.

·
Premium Member
9,967 Posts
Hahah. Yep - They are all wearing little tuxedos....

Much to the chagrin of one of my less favourite neighbours, I feed them too. I really enjoy the whole Corvidae family of birds...had a wonderfully smart pet crow once when I was a youth and lived out in the country.
I have Jays, Cardinals and the occasional Nut Hatch.....and....the odd Eagle.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
I don't live within a mile of a natural water source and I have two Magpie families that frequent my yard. Hummers usually scout locations within a mile of natural water sources and magpies are a predator to them.
A nice large birdbath or small pond, maybe with a small solar fountain to help keep the water fresh certainly comes to mind. But keep the water fresh and clean. 😉

Some of our hummingbirds will often come and hover in the spray when we are hand watering in our garden with a spray nozzle attached. I don't think we have magpies here, at least I have never seen one.

What about feeding the magpies so that they might tend to leave the Hummers alone????

- Patrick
=======

·
}<-('o')-
9,812 Posts
A nice large birdbath or small pond, maybe with a small solar fountain to help keep the water fresh certainly comes to mind. But keep the water fresh and clean. 😉

Some of our hummingbirds will often come and hover in the spray when we are hand watering in our garden with a spray nozzle attached. I don't think we have magpies here, at least I have never seen one.

What about feeding the magpies so that they might tend to leave the Hummers alone????

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick,

I do have a large bird bath with a solar water wiggler to attract birds and discourage mosquitoes. I do my best to keep the water topped up and fresh as I know that dirty water (and feeders) can spread disease.

I do already feed the magpies with dog kibble, suet, some kitchen leftovers etc. My concern is that the scouting hummingbird might spy the feeding magpies and write my yard off as a desirable option.

That's cool that you have hummers hovering in the garden hose spray.

129561 - 129580 of 129811 Posts