ehMac banner

128341 - 128360 of 128632 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Morning all. Coffee is brewing .............. could Sunday Brunch be far behind???
Good Morning All, Sun is shining, birds are gathered at the feeder, no puns in sight!

Wonderful day!

Re: ‘Amputation hazard.

Just this past Friday, I had a demonstration of how powerful & frightening a snow blower can be!
While blowing out my driveway with my tractor, I accidentally "discovered" the local paper hidden in the snow.
Then suddenly with a loud "whumph!" the paper and all the bundled junk mail was converted to colourful fragments drifting down from the sky!

Tractor didn't even pause, hesitate, just a slight change of engine tone.

Broadcast the news far & wide!

I'll have that coffee now if I may Marc.

·
peek-a-boo
16,234 Posts
Little nicer weather today relatively speaking, the sun is shining and it’s less frigid starting tomorrow.

Reactions: Dr.G.

·
Premium Member
9,634 Posts
Morning all. Coffee is brewing .............. could Sunday Brunch be far behind???
Morning Marc, et al.....sunny and warmer...if you class -8 warmer....but we should hit +5 or 6 tomorrow or so. Will be watching the season finale of ACGaS tonight....what a short season.

With baseball camps forming can spring be far behind......long shot bets to make the series this year would be The Mets and Jays.....but it won’t happen.

Left over for tonight...I put together a roast chicken meal last night and we have some left....timer saver.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #128,344
Good Morning All, Sun is shining, birds are gathered at the feeder, no puns in sight!

Wonderful day!

Just this past Friday, I had a demonstration of how powerful & frightening a snow blower can be!
While blowing out my driveway with my tractor, I accidentally "discovered" the local paper hidden in the snow.
Then suddenly with a loud "whumph!" the paper and all the bundled junk mail was converted to colourful fragments drifting down from the sky!

Coffee coming right up, Bill. There are more song birds this time a year around the neighborhood bird feeders here as well. Nice to hear their songs.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #128,345
Little nicer weather today relatively speaking, the sun is shining and it’s less frigid starting tomorrow.
Good to hear, Steve. Hot coffee on the house for you today.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #128,346
Morning Marc, et al.....sunny and warmer...if you class -8 warmer....but we should hit +5 or 6 tomorrow or so. Will be watching the season finale of ACGaS tonight....what a short season.

With baseball camps forming can spring be far behind......long shot bets to make the series this year would be The Mets and Jays.....but it won’t happen.

Left over for tonight...I put together a roast chicken meal last night and we have some left....timer saver.
Morning, Rp. Warmer temps on the way here as well.
ACGaS? All Critters Great and Small? :) Yes, it was a short season. Is there a season #2 in the works?

A Mets vs Jays World Series would be great ................. or the SF Giants in place of the NY Mets.

·
Premium Member
9,634 Posts
Morning, Rp. Warmer temps on the way here as well.
ACGaS? All Critters Great and Small? :) Yes, it was a short season. Is there a season #2 in the works?

A Mets vs Jays World Series would be great ................. or the SF Giants in place of the NY Mets.
I wouldn’t discount the Giants.......and Yes there is a season 2 of ACGaS.....and like the SF Giants....a great series.

·
Premium Member
9,634 Posts

Wonderful day!

Morning Bill....slow day for puns....I never used to like them but I’ve groan to like them.

·
}<-('o')-
9,655 Posts
Good Morning Shang!

The weather here has finally improved to the point that I went for a nice long walk yesterday. How pleasant!

Marc, what are the names of your dogs in the last picture you posted, starting clockwise from Molly? Is that the extent of Doxies you currently have?

·
}<-('o')-
9,655 Posts
Bill - I enjoy feeding the outside birds too (but not the squirrels) ....During the cold weather it felt great to see all the birds gathering at the feeder and the suet block. I watched an amusing scene where a woodpecker was chipping away at a very frozen block of suet while the smaller birds were waiting for bits to fly in their direction. It almost looked cooperative!

·
Premium Member
15,407 Posts
ACGaS? All Critters Great and Small? :) Yes, it was a short season.
Thanks, Marc, I would never have guessed what ACGaS might have stood for.

But then again I'm not much of a TV watcher at all, but I sure did enjoy the original books and the original tv series back in the days when I used to read and watch tv.

That was in the days when I considered several tv programs were worth watching and enjoyable to watch. I gave up on most of the modern, recent stuff.

- Patrick
=======

·
Canadian By Choice
116,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #128,352
Good Morning Shang!

The weather here has finally improved to the point that I went for a nice long walk yesterday. How pleasant!

Marc, what are the names of your dogs in the last picture you posted, starting clockwise from Molly? Is that the extent of Doxies you currently have?
From left to right -- top row is Chip and Molly
From left to right -- bottom row Gracie and Stella.
Gracie is Stella's grandmother, with Chip and Stella having the same father. We bred Gracie and Stella.

Reactions: KC4

·
Premium Member
9,634 Posts
Bill - I enjoy feeding the outside birds too (but not the squirrels) ....During the cold weather it felt great to see all the birds gathering at the feeder and the suet block. I watched an amusing scene where a woodpecker was chipping away at a very frozen block of suet while the smaller birds were waiting for bits to fly in their direction. It almost looked cooperative!
Morning Kim....I have a set of Jays and Cardinals who frequent my backyard....we also have quite a number of eagles who fly around here....man those birds are huge!

·
Premium Member
9,634 Posts

But then again I'm not much of a TV watcher at all, but I sure did enjoy the original books and the original tv series back in the days when I used to read and watch tv.

That was in the days when I considered several tv programs were worth watching and enjoyable to watch. I gave up on most of the modern, recent stuff.

- Patrick
=======
Morning Patrick....the new series of ACGaS is quite good and is a charming update to the original. I think.

·
Canadian By Choice
116,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #128,356

- Patrick
=======
It is All Creatures Great and Small, but I joke with my wife and call them "all critters". I also call our dogs "the monsters" as in "I am taking the monsters out back now".

Reactions: Rps

·
Canadian By Choice
116,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #128,357
Before the Covid restrictions, a friend of mine was held in contempt of court while trying to explain why he should not be required to pay for an overdue parking meter fine in NYC (he has a bad heart and cannot move very quickly). The judge demanded why he called out "a hamburger and onion rings" ........... to which he replied "Because you said 'order in the court' " He was forgiven his fine and had to spend an hour in jail since that was the length of time it took to calm down the laughter in the court room. :)

Reactions: KC4 and Rps

·
Premium Member
9,634 Posts
Before the Covid restrictions, a friend of mine was held in contempt of court while trying to explain why he should not be required to pay for an overdue parking meter fine in NYC (he has a bad heart and cannot move very quickly). The judge demanded why he called out "a hamburger and onion rings" ........... to which he replied "Because you said 'order in the court' " He was forgiven his fine and had to spend an hour in jail since that was the length of time it took to calm down the laughter in the court room. :)
I got nuthin’😂😂😂😂

·
}<-('o')-
9,655 Posts
Morning Kim....I have a set of Jays and Cardinals who frequent my backyard....we also have quite a number of eagles who fly around here....man those birds are huge!
I enjoy Jays and Cardinals too.. We see the very occasional Stellar Jay around here but no Cardinals. Cardinals were frequent visitors to my feeder in Houston. Such beautiful birds.

Speaking of large birds, my sister and I were walking her two Weimaraners along a country canal right-of-way not far out of the city when we came upon the terrible scene of a Red-tail Hawk caught in the barbed-wired fence of an adjacent farm.

My sister managed to get her bird-dogs under control before they made the situation worse. While she held fast to the dogs at a distance, I slowly approached to see if it was still alive. It was.

The poor thing was hanging by one bloodied wing that seemed to be skewered on a barb right under the joint. Feathers were everywhere and blood was spattered about indicating that it had been struggling for a while to extract itself.

It's eyes locked on me and it weakly struggled for a few seconds as I approached. I could tell it was exhausted; on it's last bit of life. I've worked with large domestic birds before, but this was not the same. As I stood nearby and calmly spoke to it, I tried to understand the puzzle ..The wing caught on a barb was on the far side of fence, the other wing is stuck between the strands of barbed-wire emerging on the near side, one huge foot is dangling, the other seems to be clasped around the bottom strand of wire. Other problem? I had no tools or protective gear. I had what I was wearing and we were at least a 25 minute walk from anywhere including the vehicle we came in.

I slowly took my thin jean jacket off and approached, still talking, expecting it to panic, but it didn't. It literally watched me like a hawk. I became close enough to see and then kept watching, the bird's irises..still dilated (which is a good thing when working with birds - most birds will contract their irises to a pinhole before they strike/bite) so I continued to talk and slowly approach, spread jean jacket held out in front of me. Hiding my hands and fingers behind my jacket (no target to strike), I slowly covered the bird's head and wings. Then I grasped the top of wings and lifted the heavy bird so that I was supporting most of its weight. Problem- the one foot was still grasping the bottom strand of wire. I slowly let go of the uncaught wing and held the bird's weight with one hand as I moved the other one down to loosen the bird's toes. I noted that with the long talons, it's foot was as big as my hand.

Then I moved back to having a hand on each wing and guessed (correctly) that I needed to move the caught wing towards me and up to dislodge it from the barb. Once dislodged, I slowly lowered the bird down to the ground on the far side of the fence, leaving my jean jacket on top of it. I moved way back quickly and watched. No movement. Oh no - maybe I was too late.

We decided to walk away with the dogs to give it some time to rest without having us/a threat nearby. We returned in about 20 minutes to see that the bird had not seemed to move. I slowly approached to retrieve my jacket and the hawk startled out from underneath it and flew ..FLEW! a short way away. Yay!

In successive visits to the canal we would see one and sometimes 2 of these Red-tail Hawks and hoped that one of them was the one that we rescued from the fence.

·
Premium Member
9,634 Posts
I enjoy Jays and Cardinals too.. We see the very occasional Stellar Jay around here but no Cardinals. Cardinals were frequent visitors to my feeder in Houston. Such beautiful birds.

Speaking of large birds, my sister and I were walking her two Weimaraners along a country canal right-of-way not far out of the city when we came upon the terrible scene of a Red-tail Hawk caught in the barbed-wired fence of an adjacent farm.

My sister managed to get her bird-dogs under control before they made the situation worse. While she held fast to the dogs at a distance, I slowly approached to see if it was still alive. It was.

The poor thing was hanging by one bloodied wing that seemed to be skewered on a barb right under the joint. Feathers were everywhere and blood was spattered about indicating that it had been struggling for a while to extract itself.

It's eyes locked on me and it weakly struggled for a few seconds as I approached. I could tell it was exhausted; on it's last bit of life. I've worked with large domestic birds before, but this was not the same. As I stood nearby and calmly spoke to it, I tried to understand the puzzle ..The wing caught on a barb was on the far side of fence, the other wing is stuck between the strands of barbed-wire emerging on the near side, one huge foot is dangling, the other seems to be clasped around the bottom strand of wire. Other problem? I had no tools or protective gear. I had what I was wearing and we were at least a 25 minute walk from anywhere including the vehicle we came in.

I slowly took my thin jean jacket off and approached, still talking, expecting it to panic, but it didn't. It literally watched me like a hawk. I became close enough to see and then kept watching, the bird's irises..still dilated (which is a good thing when working with birds - most birds will contract their irises to a pinhole before they strike/bite) so I continued to talk and slowly approach, spread jean jacket held out in front of me. Hiding my hands and fingers behind my jacket (no target to strike), I slowly covered the bird's head and wings. Then I grasped the top of wings and lifted the heavy bird so that I was supporting most of its weight. Problem- the one foot was still grasping the bottom strand of wire. I slowly let go of the uncaught wing and held the bird's weight with one hand as I moved the other one down to loosen the bird's toes. I noted that with the long talons, it's foot was as big as my hand.

Then I moved back to having a hand on each wing and guessed (correctly) that I needed to move the caught wing towards me and up to dislodge it from the barb. Once dislodged, I slowly lowered the bird down to the ground on the far side of the fence, leaving my jean jacket on top of it. I moved way back quickly and watched. No movement. Oh no - maybe I was too late.

We decided to walk away with the dogs to give it some time to rest without having us/a threat nearby. We returned in about 20 minutes to see that the bird had not seemed to move. I slowly approached to retrieve my jacket and the hawk startled out from underneath it and flew ..FLEW! a short way away. Yay!

In successive visits to the canal we would see one and sometimes 2 of these Red-tail Hawks and hoped that one of them was the one that we rescued from the fence.
Good going...I hope the hawk fared well.

128341 - 128360 of 128632 Posts