Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article shows the big 5 record companies the digital revolution done right. It won't be the last time an enterprising indy label shows the big boys the way to work with the new digital age instead of fighting it. It's a great idea, and others are sure to follow suit.

The most interesting part about it, is the RIAA has pretty much painted itself in a corner about mp3s; it will have a hard time duplicating this effort without looking very hypocrytical.

Oops, I probably put this in the wrong topic. Sorry, mayor.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Go-Kart Records (and the iTMS) efforts must be very refreshing to most music lovers. The RIAA have made themselves look like fatcats trying to keep themselves at the trough. I feel that their litigation frenzy may have guaranteed their future demise. Adapt or fade away as it were. If it means that the distance between the artist and listener is lessened, then I'm all for it.

We are most certainly watching the transformation of an incredibly influential industry that has become a dinosaur in technological terms. I find it all very interesting despite the fact that it's so very long overdue.

-Howie

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Cool.

I've always been early in embracing tech and the pros that come with it. I like what's happening here, but do understand that this means that the bands are HOPING for some good exposure and thus maybe lading some touring gigs which will then enable them to make $$. All good.

The RIAA lawsuits go deeper than actual ©. Look @ the $$ that goes into promoting a record??? the ad $ etc.... Do ppl realize how much an ad costs to run in a mag?? Large amounts of $$.

I run an indie and manage a small hip hop outfit right now that is gaining some profile in Canada - and we are broker than broke. Touring the country cost so much $$ that oft, that is what keeps a band from getting their name out. That's touring the country - let alone the world! And most manager/established label reps will tell you, you should visit cities no less than x2 a year. Every 4 months if possible.

Now, let's give out our music for free or say for $2 or so. What about the recording cost? we should then eat that, no?? So we are right away in a losing venture. Does anyone know what studio sessions costs?? $$. What about the mixing and mastering? more $$. When a band is short on $ and lrg and talent, the label comes in and FUNDS the project, like an investor and thus becomes a part owner (how much is to you to negociate). Of course they get pissed when their property gets given away for free, would you not be?? This is why label jobs are evaporation. yes they once made tons of $$, but they also helped the artist make some $$ (not via record sales).

Will the distance between the artists and the fan shorten?? Sure - in the artist's immediate area. ESP in canada, this will pose a massive challenge. This is not the US where bands are selling gold records in their own state... far from being the case. Gold in all of canada is hard enough.

I'm with this new music economy, but things will change in the craziest ways. do not expect the same mrkt campaigns like you used to get. Expect less and less Superstars. the $$ will not be there - and believe me, some of the Superstars that we know now only got there because the label threw some $$ behind them and helped in creation development. It's actually kinda sad... :(

H!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts