Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Resident Hijacker
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Lion is out, I finally got around to installing Snow Leopard and that's when I discovered that my accounting software (QuickBook Accounts for Mac, the one that is actually a re-branded MYOB) needs Rosetta to run. Not a big deal, but evidently once I move to Lion, this will no longer work.

So I figure, now's a good time to change things over, get used to a new system, etc.

At my workplace, I use QuickBooks on Windows very heavily. I confess that I love it, well, as much as anyone can love accounting software. In fact, the books for my other companies are on the computers at my workplace so that I can use QuickBooks.

I actually really hate this MYOB-like thing I currently use. Find it clunky and awkward. It's just annoying to switch but it looks like the time has come.

Here are my thoughts on how I could go.
1) Vista/parallels and run Windows Quickbooks on Windows on the Mac. Advantages, familiarity, can actually do accounting on my laptop at work instead of a special Windows desktop. Disadvantages, most likely slow and will not necessarily work well.

2) QuickBooks for Mac, the US version. Advantages, it's hopefully reasonably similar to Windows Quickbooks, Disadvantages, will have to figure out how to set up all the Canadian stuff (HST, payroll). Fortunately, that's not a lot, but it pulls at the limits of my accounting skills.

3) Something else entirely. Advantages, unknown. Disadvantages, unknown.

I did a search and turned up not too much. A few people recommend MoneyWorks, but I know nothing about it. A quick look at the website reveals that it looks reasonable, how is it for a QuickBooks user to get used to?

If anyone knows anything, I would appreciate hearing it.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Make a Bootcamp partition....Install the Windows Version...

Advantages - Not slow (taking full advantage of Mac Hardware via OS X drivers)

Disadvantages - Booting into OS X and Windows could be annoying with holding the option key, or setting the startup disk via Windows or Mac

- reinstalling/repartitioning Windows could create Disk issues via Disk Utility

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
What about Moneydance? Or is that not a Canada friendly solution?

I don't use any accounting software at all, but I did notice that some were switching to Moneydance on another forum.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I use Bootcamp, that would be a separate Windows boot, yes? That would be a little annoying, in that I'd have to reboot every time I wanted to make an accounting entry or check something, and then have to boot back into Mac to do anything else.... still, it could work.

Tech Elementz, thanks. I'll give some of those a closer look, though a quick glance shows that some of them aren't actually full accounting software. My needs are pretty simple, but at the same time, I occasionally venture into fancy accounting tricks... be easier not to try and figure out how to adapt.

gwillikers, thanks, but that looks more like personal finance than accounting.

jeff70hem, do you know how that compares to QuickBooks?

·
Resident Hijacker
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if all else fails, use vmware. It isn't like you need any real performance for running accounting software.
Well, the POS Windows box I use to make QuickBooks go at work proves otherwise... of course, then I discovered there were like 12 software updates all trying to run simultaneously and that evidently bogged things down. It's much zippier now.

Still, that might just be the simplest thing to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mac Compatible QuickBooks in Canada

I use QuickBooks on Windows very heavily. I confess that I love it, well, as much as anyone can love accounting software. In fact, the books for my other companies are on the computers at my workplace so that I can use QuickBooks....

I actually really hate this MYOB-like thing I currently use. Find it clunky and awkward. It's just annoying to switch but it looks like the time has come.......

....I did a search and turned up not too much. A few people recommend MoneyWorks, but I know nothing about it. A quick look at the website reveals that it looks reasonable, how is it for a QuickBooks user to get used to?

If anyone knows anything, I would appreciate hearing it.
Hi there :)
Although we don't currently have a QuickBooks solution for Mac users in Canada (as ofcourse you know), we are working on options to help you run your business with QuickBooks regardless of the type of operating system you're on.

1. We are looking into QuickBooks Online for our Canadian users.
2. You can sign up to get notified when a QuickBooks solution for Mac is available in Canada. QuickBooks® for Mac | Intuit QuickBooks Canada
3. You can find work-arounds, in the event that you wish to install/continue to use QuickBooks on your Mac today, including VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop and some more info on the US Mac version (all on same link as above)

Not a perfect answer, but perhaps it helps a little?
@quickbooksca

·
Resident Hijacker
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there :)
Although we don't currently have a QuickBooks solution for Mac users in Canada (as ofcourse you know), we are working on options to help you run your business with QuickBooks regardless of the type of operating system you're on.

1. We are looking into QuickBooks Online for our Canadian users.
2. You can sign up to get notified when a QuickBooks solution for Mac is available in Canada. QuickBooks® for Mac | Intuit QuickBooks Canada
3. You can find work-arounds, in the event that you wish to install/continue to use QuickBooks on your Mac today, including VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop and some more info on the US Mac version (all on same link as above)

Not a perfect answer, but perhaps it helps a little?
@quickbooksca
Well, if you are who you claim you are, I have some questions, the first one being that if you put out a product for Canadian Mac Users, do you actually plan to support it?

Seriously. I shelled out $600 for that rebranding MYOB not knowing that it wasn't 'real' QuickBooks only to have you drop support next year. Thanks.

And honestly, if you have an online version (though personally I want my books on my desktop) and a US version, and Canadian PC versions, how hard is it really to make this work in Canada? You have all the domain knowledge in house. People have made the US version work in Canada by setting up a few things. There's no logical reason why this is so hard for you to do.

Also, there's a lot of reports that QuickBooks does not always run well Fusion or Parallels, and that Intuit offers no support. Fair enough, except that you guys are somewhat legendary in your lack of support for Canadian Mac users.

Our whole office keeps PCs around solely to run QuickBooks, which gets used more than any other piece of software. If it weren't for that, we could just go to Mac and make our life easier. And if we could use BOTH a Mac version of QuickBooks AND a PC version of QuickBooks on the same data file, the way just about every other major software company does things, that would be awesome.

Finally, regarding your PC version... when we upgraded to 2009, performance slowed dramatically. I run roughly 35 companies in QuickBooks, and switching from one to the next has gone from seconds to minutes, which actually does cause business problems for us. File sizes increases dramatically too. What's with all the bloat?

Thank you.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking that the QuickBooks Mac/Canada page, looks like these are the big differences...

Should I Use the US Version of QuickBooks for Mac?

The US product is created for American businesses, with a US sales tax model and other differences (e.g., states not provinces, zip codes not postal codes). Also, the US product:

* Won't calculate Canadian payroll taxes
* Won't handle CRA remittances
* Won't allow online banking with Canadian financial institutions
Well...
1) I don't calculate my payroll in QuickBooks. I do it online with CRA, set it up as a memorized transaction, and carry on from there.
2) I don't remit directly from QB. I do it manually and make the entry.
3) Don't use the feature. I enter my transactions as I go, and then reconcile manually.

So looks like if I were to use US QuickBooks, the main thing I'd have to do is adapt one of the US sales tax models to work like HST. This is not so tricky.

And seriously, these are the things that prevent a Canadian Mac version? That's it? If you have reasonably robust programming, this isn't a terribly difficult thing to overcome. Or you can launch a Canadian version that is slightly less feature-rich. I'll take it over the nothing and on-again/off-again support you used to offer.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
this is something (canadian quickbooks) that literally 5+ people ask me about every week. the fact that it doesnt exist is an egregious oversight and a huge slight to a country that has the 3rd or 4th (last time i checked) highest mac user base in the world

get your poop together...srsly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Mac Compatible QuickBooks in Canada

Hey Sonal,

Thanks for your questions. I’d like to preface my response by saying that while I will answer your questions to the best of my ability, some of these matters happened a few years ago and I may not be able to comment directly on them. In the same vein, some of the questions are tech support related and as I’m in the marketing and social media department, I would not be able to answer them without reaching out to support for clarification/verification.

Currently we support any software we produce for 3 years. That is our sunsetting window due to the great cost of keeping reps trained on older operating systems and older versions of QuickBooks. The software that is soon to be released will be a web based version of QuickBooks and not a true Mac desktop version. We will support it for all users, regardless of operating system, as long as your work station meets the system requirements.

The issue with creating a Mac version for Canada has not been an issue of difficulty as much as expense and available revenue. Until recently the Mac business market in Canada has only represented about 10% of total Mac sales. This has not been a large enough market to offset the development and tech support costs of a Mac version. Fortunately, lately, the increases in this market size as well as the availability of better technology have allowed us the opportunity to provide a solution for Mac customers. As the software world moves to more and more of a SoftwareAsAService (SAAS) based offering we believe that providing QB as an online offering is the best method for serving the majority of customers as well as making the offering country specific from a single source. So, if you are interested in being notified as soon as a Mac compatible offering is available, please do sign-up (link was in previous post)!

As far as the current solution of using a PC emulator on the Mac, there are also many customers that this works quite well for. We fully support the QB software on the emulator, but cannot support the emulator itself as these are not our products and we did not develop them. While some software is able to provide compatible file types on both a Mac and PC, the complex nature of the database structure as well as the millions of lines of code within QuickBooks make this an impossibility in this type of software.

Your question about file sizes increasing after upgrading to 2009 I have heard of before, so you are not alone in this instance. As I am not in tech support though, I cannot give you an accurate answer as to why. However, it should not affect the overall speed of the software, if a file is quite large it would be slowed down due to Windows restrictions more than QuickBooks related ones.

Here is a link to the available support article on improving system performance: Improve QuickBooks system performance - QuickBooks® Support | Intuit Canada And you can reach tech support at 1-877-772-9158 if you would like to discuss this directly.

I hope that answers some of your questions? And thanks for the update on Twitter. :)

@quickbooksca

·
Resident Hijacker
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As it happens, I come from both a software programming background and a software marketing background. (And in fact, once held a role very similar to yours.) I appreciate you trying to answer, but honestly, most of these are non-answers. I know, because it's exactly the kind of non-answer I would have given.

Your company purchased MYOB, used it as a Canadian Mac offering for a year or so, and then abandoned its users without providing any kind of an upgrade path... even though you already had a QuickBooks for Mac in the US. Any way you try to spin it, that just sucks. And this is not, as I recall, the first instance of QuickBooks simply abandoning its Canadian Mac users.

So to be honest, I fear for any Canadian Mac solution that you might put out, is simply going to be abandoned down the road. It's kind of ridiculous especially when from a technical point of view, it should not be difficult to create a functional (if less feature-rich) version of QuickBooks for Mac in Canada using your US model as a basis for this. Fewer features and less support for a Canadian Mac version is still preferable to absolutely nothing at all or simply walking away from users with no explanation, no support or no upgrade path.

You know, I get that sometimes you start off supporting something, and then later on you realize that it's not working out business-wise and you need to shut down that part of your business. But don't just simply vanish on your customers. Come up with a plan to keep them in some fashion or another. Yes, I understand that this plan may have to be a crappy plan, but it beats total abandonment.

Seriously, Intuit has pissed off a lot of Mac users over the years. Now that this market is growing, you may want to consider the effect of your burnt bridges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't relate to QuickBooks as I have never used it but I think any change away from it will probably be frustrating for you at first but will eventually prove to be worth it.

MoneyWorks also offer a Windows version.

I see that QuickBooks has noted they offer a cloud based application, in my opinion too expensive over time and most suppliers are using this method to lock you as a client.

Try the trial version, I am curious to hear your opinion.

If I use Bootcamp, that would be a separate Windows boot, yes? That would be a little annoying, in that I'd have to reboot every time I wanted to make an accounting entry or check something, and then have to boot back into Mac to do anything else.... still, it could work.

Tech Elementz, thanks. I'll give some of those a closer look, though a quick glance shows that some of them aren't actually full accounting software. My needs are pretty simple, but at the same time, I occasionally venture into fancy accounting tricks... be easier not to try and figure out how to adapt.

gwillikers, thanks, but that looks more like personal finance than accounting.

jeff70hem, do you know how that compares to QuickBooks?

·
Resident Hijacker
8,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's no way my workplace will move to MoneyWorks... even just upgrading Quickbooks was such a pain. (And given the slowness and bloat, we're not totally sure if it was worth it, but downgrading is just not possible.)

But for me personally, seeing as I have to change, it might be worthwhile.

Oh dear, you know life is a little sad when you have to play with accounting software....

I can't relate to QuickBooks as I have never used it but I think any change away from it will probably be frustrating for you at first but will eventually prove to be worth it.

MoneyWorks also offer a Windows version.

I see that QuickBooks has noted they offer a cloud based application, in my opinion too expensive over time and most suppliers are using this method to lock you as a client.

Try the trial version, I am curious to hear your opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
Hey Sonal,

Thanks for your questions. I’d like to preface my response by saying that while I will answer your questions to the best of my ability, some of these matters happened a few years ago and I may not be able to comment directly on them. In the same vein, some of the questions are tech support related and as I’m in the marketing and social media department, I would not be able to answer them without reaching out to support for clarification/verification.

Currently we support any software we produce for 3 years. That is our sunsetting window due to the great cost of keeping reps trained on older operating systems and older versions of QuickBooks. The software that is soon to be released will be a web based version of QuickBooks and not a true Mac desktop version. We will support it for all users, regardless of operating system, as long as your work station meets the system requirements.

The issue with creating a Mac version for Canada has not been an issue of difficulty as much as expense and available revenue. Until recently the Mac business market in Canada has only represented about 10% of total Mac sales. This has not been a large enough market to offset the development and tech support costs of a Mac version. Fortunately, lately, the increases in this market size as well as the availability of better technology have allowed us the opportunity to provide a solution for Mac customers. As the software world moves to more and more of a SoftwareAsAService (SAAS) based offering we believe that providing QB as an online offering is the best method for serving the majority of customers as well as making the offering country specific from a single source. So, if you are interested in being notified as soon as a Mac compatible offering is available, please do sign-up (link was in previous post)!

As far as the current solution of using a PC emulator on the Mac, there are also many customers that this works quite well for. We fully support the QB software on the emulator, but cannot support the emulator itself as these are not our products and we did not develop them. While some software is able to provide compatible file types on both a Mac and PC, the complex nature of the database structure as well as the millions of lines of code within QuickBooks make this an impossibility in this type of software.

Your question about file sizes increasing after upgrading to 2009 I have heard of before, so you are not alone in this instance. As I am not in tech support though, I cannot give you an accurate answer as to why. However, it should not affect the overall speed of the software, if a file is quite large it would be slowed down due to Windows restrictions more than QuickBooks related ones.

Here is a link to the available support article on improving system performance: Improve QuickBooks system performance - QuickBooks® Support | Intuit Canada And you can reach tech support at 1-877-772-9158 if you would like to discuss this directly.

I hope that answers some of your questions? And thanks for the update on Twitter. :)

@quickbooksca
what types of businesses are you basing that "mac business market" statistic on?

do you also not see how the lack of an industry standard accounting program might be one of the things that would keep businesses away from the mac platform?

customer-"i cant drive my car in the rain as it has no roof. please build a roof for my car"
company-"well we've decided not to build roofs because we've seen that people don't like to drive in the rain"
customer-"but...but..if i had a roof on my car the rain wouldn't bother me"

etc etc etc ad nauseum. its a mobius strip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Mac Compatible QuickBooks in Canada

Hi Sonal,

You are correct in that it is likely we could have handled Mac customers differently 6 years ago, but that was before my time at Intuit and I can't and should not comment on the decisions made at that time. We have been working to improve our relationship with our Mac customers (this little outreach being one thread in the tapestry), but as a business we are subject to the market and must make decisions from the view point of financial viability, or we would cease to be in business. As you know, software and technology industries change, yearly, monthly even, and our business plans change accordingly. So decisions we made in the past, while making sense then, may not seem to make as much now. We are constantly thriving to improve and become a better provider of accounting solutions given market requirements.

QB in Canada has been built off the US model in the past, but it still takes us a year to personalize the PC version for the Canadian market. We are not talking about a word program, but a complex interlocking of databases that MUST be correct and accurate as it deals with customers business livelihoods. A decision was made not to spend a year's worth of time on development and support training on Mac's for a market that would not buy enough copies to cover the cost of producing it. That is an unfortunate reality that we wish was not the case, but despite what Mac users may think, we are listening, we do care, we are planning ahead, and we are deeply sorry for the frustration felt today by our Canadian Mac users.

I would invite you once again to please sign-up to be notified as soon as a Mac compatible version of QuickBooks becomes available in Canada (with full support for all users.) QuickBooks® for Mac | Intuit QuickBooks Canada

·
Registered
90 Posts
I tried running QuickBooks under VMware on my iMac a few years ago because I was familiar with it from when I ran Windoze. It quickly became a PITA. It was slow and some features didn't want to work.

Like the OP, I was feeling a bit in limbo for a while. I tried the demo of Moneyworks but it just didn't make sense to me. After struggling for a while longer and finding nothing better, I bought Moneyworks, just because it was Mac native.

I'm glad I did. Once I started working with my own data, everything seemed to fall into place. I've been using it for three years now and there's no way I'd go back to QB, even if they offer a Mac version. It's not perfect, and there are few things I wish were different, but I find the Moneyworks interface a whole lot faster and easier to work with than QB ever was.

I'm a consultant and don't deal with things like inventory and restocking, so depending on your business, your milage may vary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what types of businesses are you basing that "mac business market" statistic on?

do you also not see how the lack of an industry standard accounting program might be one of the things that would keep businesses away from the mac platform?

customer-"i cant drive my car in the rain as it has no roof. please build a roof for my car"
company-"well we've decided not to build roofs because we've seen that people don't like to drive in the rain"
customer-"but...but..if i had a roof on my car the rain wouldn't bother me"

etc etc etc ad nauseum. its a mobius strip

Hey,

We have our own research, but this is publicly available Technology - The Globe and Mail (9.7%)

... as is this which focuses on the IT industry, a different metric, this looks at market share ranking Canadian Mac market share at 14.03% vs US Mac market share of 15.79%, but considering their population is nearly 10% that of Canada (312mm vs 34mm), while our market share penetration is high (according to this IT use study) that actual numbers of users is comparably very low. Top 10 Mac countries by market share (United States is #3) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I think I spoke to your 2nd point in my response to Sonar. We, as a business, are accountable to ALL our stakeholders; our employees and shareholders as well as our customers, and we cannot afford (in any sense of the word) to make decisions that are not financially feasible, even if some decisions might be unpopular among certain market segments.

Regardless, we want you to know that we hear your frustration, and we are working on a solution. If you would like to know more, please do sign up as previously requested, or you can follow us on any of the social networks.

@quickbooksca

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.