1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Ahhh, this thread brings a tear of joy to the eye. :)

It's quite simple. Robin Van Persie shows up in his Arsenal form (EPL leader 30 goals).. Netherlands wins.

If not, Huntellar shows up in his Schalke 04 form (29 Bundesliga goals)... Netherlands wins.

If not, Arjen Robben shows up in his Bayern Munich form (12 Bundesliga goals)... Netherlands wins. (Just don't get him to take any PK's)

If not, Wesley Sneijder shows up in his Internazionale form... Netherlands wins.

They all show up in form... they win each game 8-0.

In summary, Netherlands is winning this one. Defense is in great form and their attack is on fire. This tourney will make up for 2nd place finish at World Cup.

Too many times they've been the bridesmaid, this time they will be at the top of the cake.

In all seriousness, I really think this tournament is to be won if RVP shows up. He kind of fizzled in world cup. I guarantee Holland would of beat Spain if Marwijk put on Huntelaar instead of RVP.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
It's not the despair that kills me... it's the hope.

To be an England Fan...
If only they put that much effort into their player academies. :D

Foreign stars sell out stadiums and TV rights, but don't make for much of a development system like Eredivisie, Bundesliga or La Liga.

Most of my English friends have given up all false hope for this tourney. Not optimistic for Roy Hodgson's squad. Andy Carroll hasn't been lighting things up, and Mr. Rooney with his 2 game suspension might return to a situation already too late.

Oh, to be an England fan. :)

·
Hoes R US
1,925 Posts
I like the Euros better than the World Cup.

Here's my ranking -

1) Germany - led by Schweinsteiger and Klose - this is a powerhaus team of young and good mix of vets.
2) Spain - they're missing Pujol and Villa - not sure if they'll get over the injuries
3) Holland - Kuyt, Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie - should go far

My dark horse - Ireland - this team might surprise.

I'm non aligned at the outset but I'll cheer for whoever plays beautiful football.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Here is my ranking -

1) Portugal
2) Portugal
3) Portugal

My dark horse - Portugal - this team might surprise

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Very Sad: Dutch players hear racist chants

Euro 2012: Dutch players hear racist chants | Live football and soccer news | ESPNFC.com

Concerns over potential racism from fans at Euro 2012 came to the forefront Thursday when black players for the Netherlands heard monkey chants at an open training session, one day before the tournament opens.

According to a report in British newspaper The Guardian, hundreds of the 25,000 people in attendance in Krakow, Poland, targeted players Nigel de Jong and Gregory van der Wiel with monkey noises and loud jeers.

After hearing the chants, the players moved their drills to the other side of the stadium.

"It is a real disgrace especially after getting back from Auschwitz that you are confronted with this," Dutch captain Mark van Bommel told The Guardian. "We will take it up with UEFA and if it happens at a match we will talk to the referee and ask him to take us off the field."

·
Hoes R US
1,925 Posts
Not a lot of tolerance for colour in Ukraine either. There is some talk that officials may call off games if things get out of hand. I hope it doesn't happen.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
1-1 Poland v. Greece.

entertaining first game. i was worried Greece was going to play a tight defensive game, but Poland exploded from the start to dominate the early goings and were rewarded with a nice header. A couple of soft yellows and Greece was down a man, however they were able to rebound in the 2nd half and net the equalizer. Then Poland had their Goalie sent off and concede a penalty and it looked certain Greece would win the game, but the Polish backup keeper came in cold and saved the day.

good start to the tourney.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@EhMac... I'm guessing the Danes weren't informed that they were supposed to lose to the Netherlands ... Ouch.

Posted with Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
@EhMac... I'm guessing the Danes weren't informed that they were supposed to lose to the Netherlands ... Ouch.

Posted with Tapatalk
Holland played extremely bright in the first 75 and dominated the entire game. I thought they played really well, just a little loose on defence and Van Persie again not able to find his touch on the national team. I'd really like to see Huntelaar start.

Holland looked much brighter and in control than either Portugal or Germany are in the first half.

It's a tough group, and Denmark are a very strong team.

I'll remind everyone that in 1988, Holland lost the first game to Russia, and went on to win the Euro.

If they start the next two games like they started that one, the ball will only stay out of the net so long. I want to see Huntelaar in there and RVP get his form.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Too many old players.

Go Portugal Go!!!!
Huh? Out of 16 teams, Holland is right in the middle with average age of 27.13. Portugal is only one position ahead with average age of 27.08.

Either way, Holland has #1 scorer in EPL and #1 Scorer in Bundesliga.

Van Marwijk went with RVP in game one, and he could of scored 4 or 5, but couldn't find form. Van Marwijk is one of the best coaches, and will hopefully make proper adjustments for Germany.

----

PS, that is an easy Red Card for me for Postiga with that studs up tackle on the keeper. He had no chance of winning that ball.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
PS, that is an easy Red Card for me for Postiga with that studs up tackle on the keeper. He had no chance of winning that ball.
lol. no chance. barely a yellow TBH since he didn't even make contact.

the group of death is wide open. it will probably come down to the final match day for all teams, all though i think Germany is in the pole position.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not impressed with Germany's performance.
They were fortunate to hold I for the win. Portugal had a number of nice chances they weren't able to convert on in the layer part of the game.

Posted with Tapatalk

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts

the group of death is wide open. it will probably come down to the final match day for all teams, all though i think Germany is in the pole position.
Portugal should fire the coach for making them play defensively the whole game.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts

I think you need to re-watch the replay. It could of easily been a red, but I don't think there is a single ref on the planet who wouldn't call that a yellow.

·
Hoes R US
1,925 Posts
Ooh the Germans played a poor game and still beat Portugal. They will get stronger.
Shocked that the Danes beat Holland but it's not over for Holland yet.

Russians looked mighty fine yesterday.

I'm still not picking sides but this is a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Portugal should fire the coach for making them play defensively the whole game.
Bento should have been fired when he decided to ostracize the country's best defender (Ricardo Carvalho), but i won't blame him for today's tactics. it was an even game, and Portugal probably deserved a draw, but luck wasn't on their side.

If Pepe's first half chance goes in the net instead of off the bar maybe they even come out with a win.

thats football.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts