Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparantly, Moto has gotten the new revision of the G4 going a little faster than expected, as per The Register.

The new version, MPC7457 will be doubling the L2 cache to 512K (FINALLY) and the FSB to 200MHz, opening it up for DDR400 RAM. Whether the FSB is DDR remainds to be seen.

It is also built on a .13 micron process, which is a big step from the 1.8 process they have been using for the current G4s (and I had heard previously that the new G4 would only be .15 micron anyway).

It is speculated that the presumed upcoming 15.4" Aluminium PowerBook would sport the 7457, as well as revisions to the exisiting 17" and 12" PowerBooks. The heat dissapation seems to be what may keep the G5 out of PowerBooks for now.

No conclusive word on G5s in iMacs or eMacs for now, and I would presume that they would still use the new G3s[1] in iBooks for a while to come as well.

[1] The G3 is slated for some exciting upgrades in the near future as well, which will keep it viable for some time to come.

--PB

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
From the article, it says it maxes out at 1.3GHz... hahahahaha. Pathetic. So the Powerbooks are going to be in the range 1GHz to 1.3GHz? It looks like the year of the Notebook is going to be over quickly. If they actually get the chip to connnect to a DDR FSB, it may help a bit.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
This rumor also doesn't seem to match Motorola's info on the PowerPC 7457. Motorola says the L3 cache size Maxes at 2MB and the bus is 133MHz. The L2 cache size matches. Now that could be because Motorola has revised the chip since the info was released.

The other strange thing I've noticed about Motorola's site is they have put all their PowerPC info in an area of their site called 32-bit Embedded Processors Archive. That almost sounds like the G4 is not being developed anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That doesn't match the current G4s specs either, which as the G4 has up to a 167 Bus. Wierd.

I wonder if Apple will rebrand the MOjave PPC750 as a G4? That would be interesting.

--PB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts