Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

2161 - 2180 of 2207 Posts

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts

I remember hearing very long ago that American freeways have to have a one-mile straight stretch every five miles to help planes land in an emergency. I do not know how true that is, because snopes debunked a similar story.

However, snopes debunking was the myth that highways ere designed this way to help commandeeer highways during wartime to use as runways for the fighter planes. That myth of course sounds implausible since traffic cannot be stopped permanently during war.

But, to be used by any plane in an amergency, it does not sound implausible.

Interestingly enough, I was also reading about the construction of the 401 in Ontario (which led me to general highway construction rules in Canada). There the interesting thing is that no highway should be straight for more than 5 kms at a stretch - there should be curves after 5 kms - to prevent drivers from losing concentration and sleeping off while driving a boring arrow-straight highway.

Cheers

·
Canadian By Choice
117,371 Posts
I remember hearing very long ago that American freeways have to have a one-mile straight stretch every five miles to help planes land in an emergency. I do not know how true that is, because snopes debunked a similar story.

However, snopes debunking was the myth that highways ere designed this way to help commandeeer highways during wartime to use as runways for the fighter planes. That myth of course sounds implausible since traffic cannot be stopped permanently during war.

But, to be used by any plane in an amergency, it does not sound implausible.

Interestingly enough, I was also reading about the construction of the 401 in Ontario (which led me to general highway construction rules in Canada). There the interesting thing is that no highway should be straight for more than 5 kms at a stretch - there should be curves after 5 kms - to prevent drivers from losing concentration and sleeping off while driving a boring arrow-straight highway.

Cheers
Interesting. Paix, mon ami.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,371 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
Don, DON! What are you doing? How dare you suggest that human activity has any noticeable effect on the environment around us? You'll be run out of ehMac taking such an absurd position! :lmao:
Nobody ever said that, nor has anyone implied that climate does not change. Climate does change and quite dramatically. Almost all of Canada was under at least a mile of ice a mere 15,000 years ago and almost all of that melted long before man could possibly have had any impact on climate.

Where you Goreshippers run into extreme difficulty is trying to convince sane rational individuals that man adding an amount of CO2 equal to less than 10% of the amount created by nature is going to cause cataclysmic global warming. Especially given your failure to even establish that CO2 is the only factor controlling climate, or even a major factor.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Where you Goreshippers run into extreme difficulty is trying to convince sane rational individuals that man adding an amount of CO2 equal to less than 10% of the amount created by nature is going to cause cataclysmic global warming. Especially given your failure to even establish that CO2 is the only factor controlling climate, or even a major factor.
There ya go again. Tryin' to logic a Prog...

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Just down the street...

In Alberta, Canada, Cops Draw Shotguns On Woman Dressed as Stormtrooper to Advertise Star Wars-Themed Restaurant

They bloodied her nose, too.

CALGARY -- An employee at a Star Wars-themed restaurant had a memorable May the Fourth, after her costumed celebration and replica weapon drew the attention of police and ended with her nose bloodied. Now, the chief of police is calling for an investigation into the actions of the responding officers after video of the arrest surfaced.

While dressed as a stormtrooper, Ashley, 19, went into the parking lot of the Coco Vanilla Galactic Cantina in Lethbridge at the direction of her manager. She danced with blaster in hand on May the Fourth -- the day fans celebrate the film franchise as a play on the iconic "May the force be with you" line.

Lethbridge Police Service arrived with guns drawn and the stormtrooper dropped the plastic toy to the ground.​
You can never accuse the Leth Police Service of having too much common dog-fukc. Not to mention the idiots who called it in...

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
Rumor has it that potential cop recruits have to take an IQ test and if they score better than 90 they are automatically disqualified.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
This Woman Can Smell Parkinson's. It Might Help Lead To Earlier Treatment

Joy Milne (left) and researcher Perdita Barran. (Credit: The University of Manchester)

Parkinson’s disease stinks. Figuratively. But according to new research, it literally stinks too — to those who have a heightened sense of smell. Thanks to the help of one of these “super-smellers,” a team of scientists has identified subtle volatile compounds produced by Parkinson’s sufferers. These compounds could be used to make much easier, and earlier, diagnostics for the disease.

According to the CDC, Parkinson’s is the second-most common neurodegenerative disease after Alzheimer’s, and affects about 1% of the population at age 60, and 4% of the population by age 80. Current treatments can help alleviate some of the physical effects — like muscle tremors — though they don’t actually slow the progression of the disease. There is no cure.

Diagnosis is tricky, too: There’s no simple test. Once a patient has started to express some of the physical symptoms, it takes complicated brain imaging to confirm that certain brain cells — the neurons that produce dopamine — have been damaged or destroyed.

But a much simpler test might be on the way, according to recent research in ACS Central Science. Volatile compounds in sebum — the oily substance produced on your face and back — might soon be used to identify the disease.

Finding A Super Smeller
Lead author on the study, Perdita Barran, says she first learned about the “woman who can smell Parkinson’s” from her colleague Tito Kunath at the University of Edinburgh. He had given a public talk on his Parkinson’s research, and the woman was in the audience. As Barran tells it, “she got up at the end of [Kunath’s] presentation and said … ‘that’s all well and good that you’re doing this, but why aren’t you doing something about the fact that people with Parkinson’s smell?’ “
(....)
Joy Milne, a retired nurse living in Perth, a town near Edinburgh. Decades earlier, Milne had noticed a sudden onset of a strange odor in her now-late husband. He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease many years later.

Milne is what’s known as a “super smeller,” a person with exceptional sense of smell. And they’re more common than you might think. Barran explains that many of them are professionals, called “noses,” working in the perfume or food and drink industries. As it turned out, to a super smeller like Milne, Parkinson’s disease has a distinct odor. More importantly, the odor is present long before physical symptoms appear.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
Doing the math on Wuhan. The propaganda mill has claimed all along that the virus is highly contagious and 5% of those who catch it die.

Hubei Province which surrounds Wuhan has a population of 60,000,000.
While 'highly contagious' is a rather vague description, surely that would mean at least 10% of the population got the virus. Especially as the Chinese did nothing to stop its spread for nearly 3 months.

So 60,000,000 x 0.1=6,000,000
If 5% of those infected die we should have
6,000,000 x .05 = 300,000 dead

Yet best guesses place the real toll around 5000

So at least one of those two original claims has to be bogus.

Even making the ridiculous assumption that the Chinese somehow limited the spread to Wuhan itself with its population of 11,000,000, that should still have produced 55,000 deaths, which puts the claimed lethality of this virus a full order of magnitude greater than reality.

That's awfully simple math to have been totally ignored for this extended time frame. Especially given the all out assault on our human rights that has resulted from those obviously bogus claims.

So CM and company have willingly surrendered their most basic freedoms based on outright lies. Of course if you love communism, thanks to Covid panicdemic we now have it right here at home.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
So CM and company have willingly surrendered their most basic freedoms based on outright lies. Of course if you love communism, thanks to Covid panicdemic we now have it right here at home.
In matters of public health emergencies, of course I'm willing to "surrender" my "most basic freedoms" in order to do my part in protecting the society in which I live. That's not communism, that's being a decent human being.

(In fact, my lifestyle has change very little - I work from home; we're in a small town; our son is home-schooling like his classmates now, which is the largest demand on our time). We can still go outside (forest out our back door), go to our cottage (10 minutes from our door and we're at our private lot on a lake), enjoy nature. Sure, there are lots of folks with very outgoing, active lifestyles, and lots of folks who can't work from home, and I feel for them. But I personally don't feel as though I've been terribly affected by the measures taken by the municipal / provincial / federal governments).

The political response to this pandemic may perhaps turn out to have been exaggerated / too much / overreaching. I suggest that given that nobody knew anything about this novel coronavirus (it's right there in the name), that erring on the side of caution was the right thing to do.

Once this is over, and the body count is tallied (accurately, one hopes - since we're now learning of cases of coronavirus from the early Fall of last year that were only detected due to a retesting of patient samples), there will be an accounting. The entire planet's reaction to the coronavirus is going to be the subject of public health policy studies for decades to come.

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
You're not protecting anyone by hiding away. Don't mistake relinquishing your freedom to government as an act of decency.

In matters of public health emergencies, of course I'm willing to "surrender" my "most basic freedoms" in order to do my part in protecting the society in which I live. That's not communism, that's being a decent human being.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
You're not protecting anyone by hiding away. Don't mistake relinquishing your freedom to government as an act of decency.
I moved back to Canada to care for my elderly parents, with whom we live.

If I am exposed, carry the virus home, they - particularly one with a depressed immune system - may die.

Seems like I'm doing the right thing for my family, thankyouverymuch.

But please, do go on (and on) about how you're no longer "free".

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
You're protecting your parents because you choose to. Anyone with an iota of personal responsibility would choose to do the same, whether or not the government was imposing on people's freedoms.

Choose what you want for yourself, but don't impose it on others who are no threat to your elderly parents.

I moved back to Canada to care for my elderly parents, with whom we live.

If I am exposed, carry the virus home, they - particularly one with a depressed immune system - may die.

Seems like I'm doing the right thing for my family, thankyouverymuch.

But please, do go on (and on) about how you're no longer "free".

2161 - 2180 of 2207 Posts