Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a 40 gig hard drive for my Beige G3 and I have just finished installing it, But not without a lot of aggravation and the whole afternoon trying to get the master and slave relationship to work properly.
(I bought the drive at Business Depot for $159. with $75. in rebates, It'll work out to $105. including taxes, It's a Maxtor 7200 rpm 40 gig)

The first time I had tried, I had the CD drive setup as a slave drive and the second hard drive as a master, Trouble with that is that the CD drive wouldn't boot with the OSX CD in it.

Everytime I tried to boot it up, I kept getting error messages that would type themselves on a white screen over and over on boot up.
After awhile the computer would fail to startup any further and then reboot with the OS from the Boot drive, The only wrinkle was that the CD drive was not in the Apple system profiler anymore and the second drive wouldn't show up either.

Well after spending the afternoon doing different configurations with the jumpers, I decided to just use the CD rom drive as a Master drive and the second drive as Slave.
I'll leave it as a backup drive for now, I'll think about installing OSX tommorow.

D

[ June 05, 2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought there was a thread a little while ago about the version of G3 ROMs that supported slave drives.

The readers digest is, if you don't have the right ROMs, then there's no support.

You may want to do a search on that...

John

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Revision B Beige, So it does support slaves, It's just been a pain to set it up with a desktop computer.

If I had a mini tower Beige, Then it would have been an easier installation.

D

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still getting errors from a cold start, The CD drive and the second drive aren't booting.
If I rebuild the desktop then they appear to be fixed.
I think I'll probably have to ditch the second drive, It could be causing corruptions.

D. :eek:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just removed the second drive and zapped the pram 3 times, The computer is working nice and quick now.

No more error messages at bootup, Everything including the CD ROM appears to be working fine, I guess just one hard drive on the Revision B Beige is enough.

I guess I really should have posted this in the Mac help forum.

D :cool:

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the problems have been resolved, The root of the problem was the fact that the boot drive was connected to the wrong ATA slot on the motherboard, I finally fiqured it out when I was reading through the Apple self help pages.

D :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts