Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hold your mouse over the banner ad. :)

Vista Desktops Under $1,000 - Apple Mac mini (1.83-GHz Core Duo): Full Review - Review by PC Magazine "banner" ads...

Actually... they have 3 or 4 different banner ads scattered about. Quite cool! :D Very well done!

Taking the Mac-Intel Plunge: Our Guide To Getting You Started - Apple Boot Camp (Beta) - Review by PC Magazine
That one should have the "side bar" ads... like the "seedier than a truck-stop bathroom" ad. :)

Apple TV - Thief!
For what I would call "box" ads. There's another version of "my turf" and "upgrade nightmares". Flip back and forth between pictures to find the Mac ads.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
"Welcome to my turf - PC Magazine! ...... can someone get him outta' here?" ;)

If you flip around a few other PCMag pages, you'll find some of the tall-box ads where PC is bashing himself against the side of the box, trying to get away from Vista.

·
Registered
221 Posts
is the mac Genius Ellen Feiss form the the old swicher ads?
ellenfeiss.net

might be the lack of sllep but they do look alike

·
Registered
376 Posts
I like the pcmag.com one. But as for the others...

Leopard is delayed. Assuming they make October, it won't be anywhere near five years, but still, it's kind of hypocritical to mock another company's delayed product in an ad for a competing product that is delayed...

OS X comes in two versions, not one.

Anyone upgrading from a PPC Mac to an Intel Mac may find that their "Classic" software doesn't work anymore. OK, that's hardware. But for software, is there any word on whether 10.5 has "Classic" support? I haven't heard any leaks or rumours, but can I take this ad as a guarantee from Apple that 10.5 will still support "Classic" on PPC Macs?

·
Registered
515 Posts

Leopard is delayed. Assuming they make October, it won't be anywhere near five years, but still, it's kind of hypocritical to mock another company's delayed product in an ad for a competing product that is delayed...

Anyone upgrading from a PPC Mac to an Intel Mac may find that their "Classic" software doesn't work anymore. OK, that's hardware. But for software, is there any word on whether 10.5 has "Classic" support? I haven't heard any leaks or rumours, but can I take this ad as a guarantee from Apple that 10.5 will still support "Classic" on PPC Macs?
True, Apple had to delay Leopard, but they actually had an excuse. And four months is a better delay than three years. :)

As for OS X versions, I think Apple's just using semantics. As an end-user there's only ever one to buy. Most probably don't need Vista Enterprise at all, but virtually every version in the Wheel o' Vista is intended for users, not servers!

And while backwards compatibility on OS X isn't seamless, at least it's reasonable to assume much of your Tiger apps (and many earlier ones) will run in Leopard and that your core computer functions will work. I've heard of some Vista upgrade experiences: basic things like video cards may have bad drivers, and apps that were just released a few months before need updates to keep working.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

No, OS X for the end user comes in only 1 version. If you noticed, the wheel didn't contain any of the various Windows Server versions.

As for 'Classic' support. OS X was introduced in 2001, which is now 6 years ago. As much as I enjoy some software that just can't be found today, I don't want valuable development resources being spent and or causing delays to the release of my current operating system, or to the next operating system. I believe that Apple did a great thing by providing support to 'Classic' software for as long as they did.

Which compared to what is happening in the Vista world. The number of current on the shelf products that still don't have Vista drivers is staggering. I know that is not Microsoft's fault, most of the companies who are playing catch up have had approximately 18 months to be ready but it is still frustrating for the end user.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I love the PC-Mag site. Those adds are cool and inventive. Best of all, they're on a PC site, not a Mac site. :clap:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts