Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Along with my 17" powerbook I've also ordered the 10gig ipod.

I've never seen or used one, but for a mp3 player it seemed like a good price ($500) and pretty nifty...all the other mp2 players out there look so complicated and ugly.

I just wanted to get a thread started on if people were happy with theirs, how they liked using them...likes and dislikes. Also...I hear rumours that the 10gig is changing style? Any idea what that's all about?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I picked up an iPod (against better financial judgement at the time) when they first came out. I have been incredibly happy with mine.

I use it for many things. It stores all my contacts, it holds my iCal stuff. It acts as a portable FW harddrive for stuff I transport back and forth from work. As an added bonus, it also stores and plays MP3 music!

I didn't like the headphones though (The earbuds never really fit in my ears) so I picked up some cheap $15.00 headphones as a substitute.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweeeeet!

You raised a good point. I didn't find documentation that was really clear about this...what file formats CAN you send to the ipod?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
You can copy anything you like to your iPod--video files, documents, you name it. I often use mine to back up my data, too. It is, in essence, a portable hard drive...and that's what makes it so much more useful than other MP3 players.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pamela:
Sweeeeet!

You raised a good point. I didn't find documentation that was really clear about this...what file formats CAN you send to the ipod?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yup the iPod is indeed useful. You can even use them as a bootable hard disk in case of failure on your main drive to restore, install and configure.

Just be careful as they have a limited life when used with that kind of wear and tear on the interal hard drive.

Welcome to the Macintosh Community. You are now running the best platform found anywhere in the world. BSD Unix interfaced with the power and simplicity of the Mac OS! Nothing sweeter.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I JUST bought a 20Gig model for a steal a couple of days ago and I'm hooked.

This little jewel has already paid for itself. I installed not only music but all the latest software updates from Apple so I can install them on client stations with limited internet bandwidth.

Today I went to a customer's place where they have a mix of both PC and Macs and they were drooling over it.

I love my iPod and I highly recommend them. I'm busy ripping my favorite CD collection as we speak. This is just TOO convenient, now I know why so many are addicted to this.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does the connection work? usb firewire? Does that mean I could hook it up to a pc? or does the pc have to have the right software to be able to recognize the ipod?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The iPod uses FireWire and their is a Windows version of the iPod that has the hard drive on it formatted as a Windows Fat32 Drive, and MusicMatch Jukebox. I don't know if you can go back and forth between the two systems though...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew I was going to get that answer...about there being a PC version of the ipod. I should have been more specific about what I am using it for.

I will have a mac...and on occasion I would like to be able to transfer a file or two to a person with a PC computer from my ipod. Does anyone think this is possible? Or like I said before...do you have to have special software or something...

thanks for replying chealion ;)

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
It uses FireWire, which is much faster than pokey old USB. As for hooking it to a PC, there's a firmware patch that can be applied to convert a Mac iPod to Windows, but once that's done you can't go back (and who would want that, right?). Having said that, most data on a PC can be copied onto a CD, tossed onto the Mac and then copied to the iPod. No biggie.

Your original post had some addtional questions that I forgot to answer. Yes, there has been talk of a newer version of the iPod, to be released imminently (or so say the rumour sites). The consensus seems to be that it will be a bump-up in storage and a downshift on price (e.g., the 10 gig takes the old 5 gig price point, the 20 gig takes the 10, and a new 40 gig model takes the old price of the 20. Mind you, this is just idle speculation...

Enjoy your new iPod...and make sure you post your impressions after you've had a chance to use it for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pamela:
How does the connection work? usb firewire? Does that mean I could hook it up to a pc? or does the pc have to have the right software to be able to recognize the ipod?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I don't know if you can go back and forth between the two systems though... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read an article not long ago that said you can buy a Windows version of the iPod and later switch it to a Mac version...but that you cannot switch it the other way.

Although...the switch would likely erase the iPod drive by re-formatting it, so you would have to reinstall everything.

As for my iPods...I just bought my 2nd iPod (so my partner could have one too). We are both extremely happy with them. They are fantastic devices.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
You can switch back to Windows with third party tools.

The main thing that bothers me about the iPod is that the battery is not swappable. If the battery dies while you are using it, you're done. Combine this with the reasonably widespread battery problems and I decided to wait. I've been using my RioVolt (CD based) for a year and a half, and couldn't be happier...

I had made a good deal on a nearly new 20GB iPod (I wonder if it was the same one that MacGenius mentioned?), but decided to wait and see if Apple acknowledges the current battery problems and/or fixes them on the new ones... All the rumour sites indicate that a new lineup is coming, so it hopefully won't be too long.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
What battery problems are you referring to? I have had my first 5GB iPod since the original one was first available and never had a problem.

In fact, I listened to it almost non-stop on two transatlantic flights and a week of infrequent use...on a single charge. So, I have never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I ordered the 10gig ipod with my 17" powerbook, so I hope whatever changes happen, happen soon because my order has to ship together. I'd hate to get stuck with an old version and the new version comes out like a week later?!

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
What battery problems are you referring to? I have had my first 5GB iPod since the original one was first available and never had a problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you go to any of the iPod forums (Apple, iPodLounge, iPoding, iPodHacks, etc...) there is quite a bit of talk about the battery issues.

It seems like most of the issues occur with the newest firmware version. The main two issues are: short battery life and quick battery drain when not being used. If sounds like it isn't uncommon for the battery life to drop to the one to two hours and if the iPod is not used the battery will go dead in two days.

Apple hasn't acknowledged the problem, which has annoyed many owners. The homebrew fixes vary, from completely draining the battery to doing a manual reset before you store it to disassembling the iPod and removing the battery to perform a reset...

This combined with the fact that you can't *easily* replace the battery when it dies has kept me sitting on the fence and continuing to listen to my trusty ol' RioVolt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts