Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm now running on a Sawtooth dual 1.3GHz G4

The processors (from Giga Designs) run great, installed without incident, hasn't crashed (yet), and is FAST! According to the thousands of test submitted at Xbench's site (Xbench is a test application), it's faster than most stock dual 1GHz Quicksilvers, and faster than the average stock Mirror Door Drive G4.

I performed some comprehensive testing, posted here.

I crunched the numbers to go the used Mac route, but I think I got a better bang for the buck this way, extended any previous investments in my Sawtooth, and would have had trouble not only finding the right Mac to buy but a sale at a decent price of my Sawtooth -- and for these events to occur at the same time! :eek:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Impressive results! That's one heck of a G4 you have there now.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah man! me veddy veddy happy!

The other thing I like about it is that -- contrary to what your average PC dude might think -- my Mac has been upgraded out the wazoo thankyouverymuch!! :D

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Just out of curosity, planning any other upgrades? ;)

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that's just about it for this warhorse. I don't see G4 clockspeeds getting much beyond 1.5GHz. My ATI Radeon 9000 Pro serves my gaming needs sufficiently (although I like gaming, I'm not a hardcore). And my RAM is maxed. A Superdrive would be nice some day... but if anything, I just may need more drive space. Yeah... that just might be next. :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
728 Posts
congrats on your upgrade. i too recently upgraded my sawtooth and it was one of the best purchases i made.
i will strongly suggest adding a super drive and an extra hard drive, both have become indispensible in my revived mac.
the DVD burner has been so much fun, made every penny worth the while. my next step will be eye tv.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Rollee!

I'm working on getting a sideline business going, which would require video editing. If it happens, and some amount of momentum can be built, then a second mac WITH a Superdrive might come into the fold. With iLife 04 allowing networked burning (sorta), that will allow me to author DVDs from any station.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts