Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the kind permission of hizhonnur and based on an rather wide ranging thread between Dr. G and myself the idea of ehMac awards came up. After all there are almost a thousand members now.
Here's the gist.
The Logo
An Inuit carving ( hence the Soapstone awards) as a symbolic ehMac award - perfectly Canadian - look around for a good picture that's appropriate for this.

The idea
"The Annual ehMac SoapStone Awards"
aka "The Soapies"
Every holiday season for the month of December when most are giddy anyway we vote on a few categories to be determined in this thread.

After the categories are determined.
Nominations open, ( yes you can nominate yourself ) accompanied by a brief reason or example ( ie spelling, good advice, best joke etc that prompted the nomination)

Nominations close Nov 30th or earlier if the nomination thread is not added to in a week.

The Mayor and I will not be open to be nominated but all other members are and both nominations and votes will carry through to the end.
Nominees may campaign for votes or not as they see fit.

Voting from Dec 1 to 11th ( allows for those going away for the holidays ). Dec 12th we will announce the recipients and award the icons for the year.
Acceptance threads encouraged - oh BTW we need an applause emoticon.

Each recipient gets a special icon to use online for a year. ( I hope this is technically feasible...Mr Mayor??)
This will be easier to execute with the new software upgrade but let's get it started.
We'll try for 3 serious and 3 humorous categories.
Here are a couple of examples and these may not be in the final choice but we need more ideas for categories in this stage -

Funniest

Worst Speller ( the Mayor has VOLUNTEERED for this award )

Best Tech Advice

?????
???
???

We'll keep it light and fun but it will be a recognition for those that put time and effort into it on the serious side and a gentle poke in the ribs on the lighter side.

Other suggestions concerning the awards or procedure welcome

Category Suggestions with short explanation....let's hear them. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
How about "Most Long Winded", the member with the highest word count takes it home! Although, without Macdoc to compete, I fear Macnutt may be a shoe in.......

:D

--PB

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Ah, 'twas only said in jest.

I like that arguement award idea. I second that one.

What about best contributor, the winner being the member who contributes the most all around?

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Sounds cool.
I am all for the awards.

I wish to be nominated for "best speller" for my frequent ability to know when and where to use your/you're and there/their/they're. ;) Tee hee hee

And I just looooooooooove these new emoticons. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Good idea, I won't win any this time around, but with gordguide back, PosterBoy's got some competition for answering the technical questions ;)

Another possible award topic could be the best UT player...

Nominations? If I have to nominate anyone, it has to be everyone... you make these things so hard :D ;)

Well g/l to all those nominated! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:
Another possible award topic could be the best UT player...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I second that! We'll call it the "I have no life, so I'll call my ehMac buddies to play UT" award. Ha, that one will be mine! ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Shoot, eliminating Macdoc really does open up the field in most prolific use of words per post.

We need more categories (I don't like award competitions where the number of awards is less than the number of potential awardees - the Music Business is really good at this rule, the Nobel Prizes are the worst
).

Here's a few:

1. Most inane quote (can be taken out of context) (in memory of Trevor Morris)

2. Person most likely to be the last to upgrade to OS X

3. Most applications in dock (me, me, me)

4. Most likely to be Steve Jobs brother/sister, separated at birth

5. Shortest half-life in an Unreal Tournament fragfest

6. Most likely to visit a communist Carribean Island

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm killing myself laughing at you guys this is great.

I do need some solid categories however so let's summarize.
?Check mark equals in for sure.
? mark equals under consideration
?? = almost decided on..

? Best technical advice is a natural category.
? Best UT player also a good idea.

?Best argument ( shared award? ) or perhaps best debater a single award-

??Funniest - overall - sort contributing the most humour to the ehMAc community

? perhaps an OSX category - best OX supporter, best OSX ideas something.....come on

?? Best overall contributor - I guess this falls into one of the BIG awards - I think this is a go unless somone comes up with a better set

Okay need a bit more input for the categories.....something maybe most politcally savvy, or most left wing and most right wing - something in that.

Do we need to split the technical award in any way?

Best welcomer?? The person who takes the time to respond to new users etc. I think only the Mayor would know on this

More please
:cool: -
anyone find an appropriate Inuit carving picture?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Canadian By Choice
117,646 Posts
Used to be jwoodget wrote "Most inane quote (can be taken out of context) (in memory of Trevor Morris)". Whatever happened to Trevor Morris? I know that he was somewhat caustic at times, but he did have some interesting perspectives on Life.

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
he did have some interesting perspectives on Life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so did adolf hitler. doesn't mean he was good for society.

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sniper that was little over the top :rolleyes:
Trevor might have been mouthy and opinionated but he certainly shows no sign of being a mass murderer or political phenomena. :eek:
Hitler was very much a product of a strange historical opportunity.. a charismatic meglomaniac in the right place and time to offer a way out from under the Treaty of Versaille and the disaster that the was the Weimar Republic. Had the allies and especially the French not completely crippled Germany with reparation demands and appropriations it's unlikely Hitler would evr have been more than a house painter.

Anyway Trevor added a bit of spice to the community which I didn't mind and I think Dr. G found amusing as well. You volunteering to fill in for him?
;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,646 Posts
Macdoc, I wouldn't say that I found Trevor M. "amusing", although interesting and very opinionated would be an appropriate description. Still, whatever happend to him?

And would SOMEONE tell me how to post a picture on to this forum????? Macdoc deserves to see what happened to his award after my two doxies go to it prior to shipping!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macdoc:
Sniper that was little over the top<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree. that was the idea; satire.

i do, however, still believe he was a drain on the ehmac community, and didn't bring anything good to the table that our other members don't already bring.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,646 Posts
The fact remains -- Where is he??? Has he died? Has he been banned from the group? Has he been driven out of ehMacLand into the land of Nod???

·
Registered
363 Posts
i believe the good mayor decided it was best to expunge him

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright alright caught me witht he satire radar off.

Can we get one ot two more categories for ehMac awards.??
Most warped viewpoint?
Most politcally savvy??
Most controversial??

If I get these done then we can look at a couple of "monthlies".. Best post. etc. after this which will keep it current and get more people awarded ( especially while GordGuide is away ;) since his encyclopaedic knowledge is rather intimidating )

So far we have for sure

:D Best overall contributor
:D Best technical advisor
:D Best UT player

Some form of these or the few mentioned earlier as possibles - let's finalize these and get on with some nominations.

Best argument ( shared award? ) or perhaps best debater a single award-

Funniest - overall - contributing the most humour to the ehMAc community

An OSX category - best OX supporter, best OSX ideas something.....come on

·
Registered
175 Posts
How about something like "Member who started the longest running thread" or something like that? Additionally I think that the best argument is a good idea, and it should be a shared award. Funniest...? Sure why not... although maybe hard to judge.

Hey look at that I have over 100 posts now! woohoo!

·
Registered
363 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alesh:
How about something like "Member who started the longest running thread" or something like that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how aboot one for member who made the most redundant suggestion. :D

just kidding, alesh.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts