Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Feb. 3rd, 1959, 22 year old Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens, aged 17, died in a crash shortly after take-off from Clear Lake, Iowa, the pilot of the single-engined Beechcraft Bonanza plane was also killed. Holly hired the plane after heating problems developed on his tour bus. All three were travelling to Fargo, North Dakota, for the next show on their Winter Dance Party Tour which Holly had set - covering 24 cities in three weeks, to make money after the break-up of his band, The Crickets. :-(

The Day The Music Died

·
Premium Member
42,492 Posts
"Will I what....? You knowwwww what I like!"

·
Registered
40 Posts
It does make one wonder what our current music scene would be like had the plane not crashed with all that talent onboard. In my mind, Buddy was a musical genius and I still listen to his music to this day.

Joe

·
Canadian By Choice
117,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does make one wonder what our current music scene would be like had the plane not crashed with all that talent onboard. In my mind, Buddy was a musical genius and I still listen to his music to this day.

Joe
An interesting point to ponder, Joe. :clap:

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts

Joe
I think the reason is he was always contemporary in his approach. He grew up in a Western era, not country. Listen to new country today, and for that matter early Beatles, Holly's approach is stamped all over their work. If you are talking about people who influence others ... very Past to today.... then Tom Petty is also one of Holly's contemporaries, and one of his own as well. I think why Holly's music endures is that it can be played by almost anyone on anything. I even do a rendition of That'll Be The Day on my banjo.....that type of talent making songs anyone can sing or play was his true genius.....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the reason is he was always contemporary in his approach. He grew up in a Western era, not country. Listen to new country today, and for that matter early Beatles, Holly's approach is stamped all over their work. If you are talking about people who influence others ... very Past to today.... then Tom Petty is also one of Holly's contemporaries, and one of his own as well. I think why Holly's music endures is that it can be played by almost anyone on anything. I even do a rendition of That'll Be The Day on my banjo.....that type of talent making songs anyone can sing or play was his true genius.....
:clap::clap::clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts