Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a longtime developer for the Mac, Rogue Amoeba has something to say that I don't disagree with. I have two colleagues who've each purchased a MacBook Pro, and are freaking about the widely-reported fragility of the keyboard. They're saving up their pesos to buy the nearly-$4000 peso extended warranty before their 1-year warranty ends, just in case. Tomorrow morning another colleague is dropping by my office to ask advice as to what model to buy (he has to do it *now* for budgetary reasons), and I'm probably going to send him to one of the local retailers who *might* have a 2016 model in stock...

Were I in the immediate need of a new Mac laptop, I honestly would have a very difficult decision ahead of me. Keyboards matter immensely to someone who writes for a living...

On The Sad State of Macintosh Hardware

·
Registered
641 Posts
To be fair, Intel is clearly not helping the situation. Intel has repeatedly delayed and pushed back the planned new generation chips. AIUI, a number of the versions that they have released are not available in volume. Both of those things are killers for Apple.

Also, times have changed. Moore's law had a long run but now the size of an electron is a limiting factor. Clock speeds are not going to be doubling anymore. Spectre and Meltdown hammer home the risks of the wildly complex designs that the industry is saddled with. The best current systems are not that much ahead of, say, 5 years ago.

Craig
(Of course, the above does nothing to explain the sorry state of the Mini. I've recently read speculation that there will be some kind of 'little brother' to the coming Mac Pro. I'd really like that but who knows.)

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Apple is doing a terrible job on the MacOS hardware side. Notwithstanding any issues associated with their recently failed components (e.g., MacBook Pro Keyboards) and design failures and total lack of commitment to the platform in the past 5 years, my main complaint is the outrageous cost of the machines! My current MacBook Pro is a loaded (1TBSSD.etc...) unit that cost around 3.2K tax included. If I loaded a new MacBook Pro using the same approach, it would cost me around $6.5K. That's an astronomical increase for a machine that essentially hooks up to nothing without the aid of a pile of peripherals. Normally, I change my machine every three years. Not now. I can't justify the cost. I've never complained about cost before, but wow. Apple's way too engaged with every other aspect of their business (quite poorly in many of them, where they're getting their butts kicked) most of which they're arriving late to the party.
Come on Apple!! Do you really want to treat a 30+ year Mac nut this way! There are a ton of us, and you're frustrating the crap out of us.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Apple is doing a terrible job on the MacOS hardware side. Notwithstanding any issues associated with their recently failed components (e.g., MacBook Pro Keyboards) and design failures and total lack of commitment to the platform in the past 5 years, my main complaint is the outrageous cost of the machines! My current MacBook Pro is a loaded (1TBSSD.etc...) unit that cost around 3.2K tax included. If I loaded a new MacBook Pro using the same approach, it would cost me around $6.5K. That's an astronomical increase for a machine that essentially hooks up to nothing without the aid of a pile of peripherals. Normally, I change my machine every three years. Not now. I can't justify the cost. I've never complained about cost before, but wow. Apple's way too engaged with every other aspect of their business (quite poorly in many of them, where they're getting their butts kicked) most of which they're arriving late to the party.
Come on Apple!! Do you really want to treat a 30+ year Mac nut this way! There are a ton of us, and you're frustrating the crap out of us.
completely agree - Tim Cook is way too caught up in politics.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Not sure I agree with you on price, for a couple of reasons. One, there were a couple of articles when the iMac Pro was announced that showed the price was quite reasonable compared to building your own with similar specs (and not even trying for the same form factor.)

The other, while I agree that Macs tend to be pricer (bear in mind I've never owned a MacBook besides an Air, just desktops) they also have a far, far longer useful life. My previous iMac was replaced after 7 years. upgraded the RAM over time, and eventually needed a Thunderbolt external drive because the internal had passed its prime.

My current one cost about $2200, and expect an equal lifetime for it. May just be me however.

Agree on the quality and neglect though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts