Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

781 - 800 of 838 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
In theory, only if all church goers agree to isolate for the require time period (14 days?) and that includes all members of their households, no exceptions. AND, if taxpayers are willing to foot the bill for the enforcement/monitoring process as experience has shown the donor system fails spectacularly.

So, still a pretty big NO.
No???? But what if they could prove that God would protect them? What it they did not need to have taxpayer money for the testing and monitoring? They could enter the church on day one, throw all their money into the air. What God wants, God will take. The rest that falls to the ground will be used for this testing. Would that be acceptable?

·
peek-a-boo
16,426 Posts
No???? But what if they could prove that God would protect them? What it they did not need to have taxpayer money for the testing and monitoring? They could enter the church on day one, throw all their money into the air. What God wants, God will take. The rest that falls to the ground will be used for this testing. Would that be acceptable?
True. If they could prove that god will protect them, then all bets are off. Then they wouldn't need taxpayers money to monitor them as well. Win win! Well except for the proving the god part I guess.

Such is life :)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
True. If they could prove that god will protect them, then all bets are off. Then they wouldn't need taxpayers money to monitor them as well. Win win! Well except for the proving the god part I guess.

Such is life :)
Picky, picky, picky.

"Ayn Rand supporters will also claim that libertarians must have commitment to truth and knowledge. She strongly condemns anything that is mystical, or simply based on faith instead of hard evidence. She argues that religion itself is a product of a bygone age where humans had little knowledge of events, and would use God to explain these events. Libertarians could also argue that what makes humans special is our ability to use reason to innovate, create and advance human civilisation. Therefore faith, as such, could be considered as detrimental to human life: by its very definition it is the negation of reason."

Is Libertarianism and Religion Compatible? - Being Libertarian

·
peek-a-boo
16,426 Posts
She strongly condemns anything that is mystical, or simply based on faith instead of hard evidence...
oh. Damn. You got us there. That's a really tough one to wriggle out of.

There must be a way :)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts

In the Book of Macfury it is written "I am the way" ............ "all who follow what I say will be considered 'the chosen ones' who will be seen as always correct." This is why I don't bother arguing with Macfury. To be against him is to be against God, and I do NOT want it to be written that I fought the Law of Macfury and his Law won. Bonne chance, mon ami. Paix.

I Fought The Law Bobby Fuller Four STEREO HiQ Hybrid JARichardsFilm 720p - YouTube

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Well, let's continue with a thought experiment. Theoretically, if they agreed to quarantine themselves for two weeks following a service, would that be acceptable?
Nope, because there’ll be another service again next week, which they’ll feel entitled to attend again, because screw the rules. It won’t end until someone shuts the church down indefinitely, which they should should absolutely do. The right to hold superstitious beliefs does not override public health orders.

·
peek-a-boo
16,426 Posts
In the Book of Macfury it is written "I am the way" ............ "all who follow what I say will be considered 'the chosen ones' who will be seen as always correct." This is why I don't bother arguing with Macfury. To be against him is to be against God, and I do NOT want it to be written that I fought the Law of Macfury and his Law won. Bonne chance, mon ami. Paix.

I Fought The Law Bobby Fuller Four STEREO HiQ Hybrid JARichardsFilm 720p - YouTube
  • Matthew 12:30-32: "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. And so I tell you, any sin and blasphemy can be forgiven. But blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
Whoa unto those who blaspheme against "the Spirit" as this is the unforgivable sin.

I will tread carefully.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
Nope, because there’ll be another service again next week, which they’ll feel entitled to attend again, because screw the rules. It won’t end until someone shuts the church down indefinitely, which they should should absolutely do. The right to hold superstitious beliefs does not override public health orders.
Another infidel unbeliever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is written in The Book of Macfury that "I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols and false beliefs. The one who believes in me, even if he or she is incorrect, will be considered wise and correct. Stupid is as stupid does."

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
Whoa unto those who blaspheme against "the Spirit" as this is the unforgivable sin.

I will tread carefully.
Very wise, Steve. As it is written in The Book of Macfury, "To tread carefully means to be very careful in what you do and say, so that you don’t make a big mistake and go against what I say or do. You have freedom of thought and action so long as you think and act as I do. So let it be written, so let it be done." So endeth the lesson.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Another infidel unbeliever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is written in The Book of Macfury that "I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols and false beliefs. The one who believes in me, even if he or she is incorrect, will be considered wise and correct. Stupid is as stupid does."
And inside every prog is a libertarian just bursting to emerge and embrace the truth!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
And inside every prog is a libertarian just bursting to emerge and embrace the truth!
Careful. Remember as it is written in The Book of Macfury, ""I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of correctness." "

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
Yes, if if they agreed to be quarantined and tested, that would be acceptable to me. However, how many would want to self-isolate for that period of time? If you came to visit me, you would have to self-isolate or we would all have to self-isolate in our home. Hope you like dogs. :)
Well of course, I love dogs!

But essentially what it comes down to is not whether they have the right to infect others within their own congregational bubble. It's what you believe they need to do following that crowded service to protect others outside of their congregational bubble.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts

But essentially what it comes down to is not whether they have the right to infect others within their own congregational bubble. It's what you believe they need to do following that crowded service to protect others outside of their congregational bubble.
Pretty much. If they want to infect each other, that’s one thing. If they want to throw caution to the wind and risk infecting everyone else, that’s a problem. It’s like if I wanted to exercise my right to sneeze mask less on a transit bus. The right of my fist ends where the right of your nose begins.

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
Pretty much. If they want to infect each other, that’s one thing.
This is the crux of it. I believe that their right of religious assembly should not be abrogated. It's what they do afterward to avoid giving an illness to others that is important. I think a better way of handling ths would be to say that they can have a full-house religious assembly if they want to, but the result of that is a set of requirements they must take on to prevent the potential spread of illness.

Reactions: Dr.G.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
This is the crux of it. I believe that their right of religious assembly should not be abrogated. It's what they do afterward to avoid giving an illness to others that is important. I think a better way of handling ths would be to say that they can have a full-house religious assembly if they want to, but the result of that is a set of requirements they must take on to prevent the potential spread of illness.
Fine in theory but difficult in practice. Too hard to monitor. Why don’t they just do church online for now like the other religions do? These fine folks remind of the anti-masker crowd who think their somehow immune because of their faith. Shut the church down if they can’t or won’t follow the rules. This isn’t about liberty or freedom.

·
peek-a-boo
16,426 Posts
Fine in theory but difficult in practice. Too hard to monitor. Why don’t they just do church online for now like the other religions do? These fine folks remind of the anti-masker crowd who think their somehow immune because of their faith. Shut the church down if they can’t or won’t follow the rules. This isn’t about liberty or freedom.
Exactly. This issue was never about freedom. We have countless examples, as I’ve already pointed out, of how this goes down with these fake freedom people. If these church goers proved they would fully isolate after taking these risks then perhaps they would have been allowed.

So it’s hard to imagine why this dead horse is being... oh wait ;)

·
peek-a-boo
16,426 Posts

The title of this thread, is racist.

Calling it the "Chinese coronavirus" accomplishes only one thing, it legitimizes hate towards innocent people who are now terrified of being brutally attacked.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts

They have to power to infect others, but not the right. Glad you like dogs.

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
Protesters last year were not prevented from exercising the right to congregate and their health was impossible to monitor. Somebody made a calculation as to which charter rights to uphold.

Fine in theory but difficult in practice. Too hard to monitor.
Of course it's about liberty and freedom. Even shutting down stores when the owner wants to keep them open is about liberty and freedom. You may not think that going to church in person is important. Others hold it as among their most cherished values. Most churches calculated that the risk to their membership was greater than the value they saw in in-person services and shut down voluntarily. Only a very few didn't, because of what they valued. Opening liquor and pot stores during the worst of the pandemic also indicates a calculated risk and one that authorities were keen to take.

Why don’t they just do church online for now like the other religions do? These fine folks remind of the anti-masker crowd who think their somehow immune because of their faith. Shut the church down if they can’t or won’t follow the rules. This isn’t about liberty or freedom.

·
peek-a-boo
16,426 Posts
The protestors were outside, not inside a building which is vastly different, and most of them were wearing masks. But this is rather obvious isn’t it. Perhaps if the church wanted to hold a service outside and everyone wore masks, then sure, compare that!!

I think you’ll find that if you make a sensible analogy, it’ll sound less troll like.

Still not a rights issue, but a public health one.

781 - 800 of 838 Posts