Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

25221 - 25240 of 25261 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
One of my first jobs out of high school was working on a huge printing press that printed those bags. Next to us was the machines that cut the rolls we printed. They used the same poly film from extrusion to cut unprinted bags for garbage cans as we used to print grocery bags. (Not the black garbage bags, I don’t know what film that is) That was a number of years ago, I’m sure there are changes in poly composition now. We had two main types, the poly, and high density. The high density was our favorite because you’d put one roll on the press and it’s go for 2 hours. Often grocery store orders were for 10 million plus, so that’s a lot of bags. I think it was only recently that that film was added to the recyclables.
Interesting, thanks.

as I said maybe it’s my age but somehow my family got along fine with them in the 60s/70s.
I feel they didn't pack the bags the same, or they were more generous with the number of bags they would use. And/or maybe the quality was better.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I don't know about you, but I used their paper bags precisely once and haven't forgotten to bring my bags with me since. I find them awkward to carry, and they ripped easily. Mind you part of that might be that the cashier loaded them as though they were plastic bags.

Handy to use for getting the charcoal bbq lit though.
Never had an issue with the paper bags, though I am buying for one so my grocery loads are not large. I like the overall feel of paper bags better, not sure why.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
Interesting, thanks.

I feel they didn't pack the bags the same, or they were more generous with the number of bags they would use. And/or maybe the quality was better.
certainly the art of bag packing is probably fading. I think when I started using cloth I was more concerned about it compared to the days of just ramming stuff into as many plastic bags as needed as quickly as possible. As for paper bag quality? No idea. I feel like the ones of old were thicker but that's closing in on what, 40 years? My memory isn't that good. There is a sort of charm to using one or two if I just go over for a small number of things though.

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
My Sobeys does not offer plastic, only paper and the reusable. Small town with the owner who you will see stocking shelves so probably more in touch with the community then your average owner in larger cities. I don't give it much thought, I just take whatever is cheapest and go about my day. Usually my shopping is an after thought on the way home from work, if I am at home first I just bring a reusable one. Never felt put out by anything they have done when it comes to bagging.
Sobey's in Toronto charges 10 cents for its paper bags in Toronto, vs. the nickel they once charged for the plastic.

·
Premium Member
42,493 Posts
I don't know about you, but I used their paper bags precisely once and haven't forgotten to bring my bags with me since. I find them awkward to carry, and they ripped easily. Mind you part of that might be that the cashier loaded them as though they were plastic bags.

Handy to use for getting the charcoal bbq lit though.
Just one frozen or refrigerated item, and the condensation finishes them off in a minute or two. The result for me is that if I happen to be walking past a Sobey's and realize I need an item or two, I keep walking until I find a store that will offer a bag that will last until I get home.

We used paper bags primarily when I was a kid, and that's why the stores switched to plastic. They would double bag, but they often kept soaking and ripping through. Also, they made lousy garbage bags for the same reason. Just a few eggshells and the bottom drops out.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
Sounds like some real deep seated trauma! ;)

At my sobeys they actually still have those produce bag rolls. If I need to use one of their paper bags (I wasn’t aware they charged for them?) and I have something wet I’ve learned to use one of those in a pinch. I actually got the idea from a cashier who used one for me at the cash on some ice cream and some other frozen thing.

but choice is grand here I have 3 within a 5min walk. I can choose between the two with no poly bags, or I can go to the Loblaws that gives free plastic bags but they’re the most expensive grocery store here go figure.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
This should make it incredibly clear that it is all about oppression and turning Canada into a police state. Adolf would be proud, Stalin even more so! For Mussolini an exquisite wet dream!

C'mon a SWAT team to arrest a pastor for the crimes of; Preaching the gospel, running a soup kitchen, and publicly shaming Gestapo like thugs for being thugs. On a warrant obtained in a secret hearing!

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
Sounds like some real deep seated trauma! ;)

At my sobeys they actually still have those produce bag rolls. If I need to use one of their paper bags (I wasn’t aware they charged for them?) and I have something wet I’ve learned to use one of those in a pinch. I actually got the idea from a cashier who used one for me at the cash on some ice cream and some other frozen thing.

but choice is grand here I have 3 within a 5min walk. I can choose between the two with no poly bags, or I can go to the Loblaws that gives free plastic bags but they’re the most expensive grocery store here go figure.
I just discovered yesterday at Safeway they’re charging 15 cents each for paper bags.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
Rebel News. ‘Nuff said.
Does anyone still pay any attention to that attention whore?

Wow 15cents! Did you stomp out and loudly proclaim “I shall take my business elsewhere!” As though they really care? ;)

15 cents is darn communism! :)

Brought to you by a couple nips of a nice 20yr scotch.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
This headline has to make conservatives squirm a bit; Kenney is now less popular than Trudeau....in Alberta!!

New poll: only 7% of responses “very satisfied” with Kenney

Interesting that you would post a bad link.

As to Kenney, he has gone 100s of miles out of his way to piss off his base, so yeah most Albertans are pissed off with him. OTOH I am sure the Kool-aid Klatch has to love all the restrictions, but then they are only about 7% of the population. Course he does allow a Food Truck Fair in Grimshaws home town and no problems whatsoever if you claim to be part of the Burn-Loot-Murder bunch. It's just those nasty freedom types that have to be stomped on.

Anyways we saw about 8500 deaths during the first wave. Add in masking and the second wave was around 13,000 deaths nation wide, pretty obvious masks did nothing to save lives. So why not add in even nastier lockdowns? Maybe that will help push the third wave over 20,000.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
More evidence of corruption in the Police State of Alberta. Guards at Spy Hill Jail have refused to release, Artur Pawlowski and his brother in defiance of a judges order.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
This headline has to make conservatives squirm a bit; Kenney is now less popular than Trudeau....in Alberta!!

https://kimsiever.ca/2021/05/New p...2QqbnTo_tH3HhpcMhCOaUyrkXVpPZvS4pvO8A7YEbUTGY
Doug Ford is taking a beating in the polls as well, and rightfully so. Both he and o’Toole are stupidly banging the ‘Trudeau didn’t close the borders fast enough’ idiocy even though it seems, most people with a few more neurons firing simultaneously can figure out Doug Ford really blew it by waiting too long, effectively making it all worse, and having to impose stricter and longer lockdowns as a result. But there are still a number of people who can’t seem to read basic math and will insist it’s all because of travelers. Incredibly, the lockdown has begun to bring the numbers down.

So the only ones drinking Kool-aid, well ha. Proofs in the pudding as they say.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
I doubt anyone really cares that much about that distinction, Kenny is a lying snake and a lot of people clearly already knew. What is it with conservatives and their preoccupation with who is, and isn’t a ‘real conservative’?

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
Interesting that you would post a bad link.

As to Kenney, he has gone 100s of miles out of his way to piss off his base, so yeah most Albertans are pissed off with him. OTOH I am sure the Kool-aid Klatch has to love all the restrictions, but then they are only about 7% of the population. Course he does allow a Food Truck Fair in Grimshaws home town and no problems whatsoever if you claim to be part of the Burn-Loot-Murder bunch. It's just those nasty freedom types that have to be stomped on.

Anyways we saw about 8500 deaths during the first wave. Add in masking and the second wave was around 13,000 deaths nation wide, pretty obvious masks did nothing to save lives. So why not add in even nastier lockdowns? Maybe that will help push the third wave over 20,000.
Bad link? Worked just now again when I tried it. Maybe it’s your device.

·
peek-a-boo
16,610 Posts
Bad link? Worked just now again when I tried it. Maybe it’s your device.
The link worked just fine. Are we now going to pivot from the absolute disastrous incompetence of Jason Kenny to, if he's a real conservative or not? You can almost set your watch to it.

I wonder what sort of conservative Doug Ford is.

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
Jason Kenney, Doug Ford and the Truedope are all globalist puppets. There is a reason that I call Conservatives Conmen, and Truedopers Liebarrels. They don't give a damn about Canada or Canadians, their loyalties are only to the Rothchilds, Rockefellers, Gates, Soros... and their agenda of eugenics.

All sorts of strings to control them, bribery, blackmail, threats to their families safety....

25221 - 25240 of 25261 Posts