Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

25201 - 25220 of 25244 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,759 Posts
With the TrueDope's ban on plastic grocery bags finally hitting us locally, I thought it might be a good time to post this:

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
I use my plastic bags two to three times. First for groceries, next to reuse for groceries, finally as garbage bags. Without them, I would need to buy plastic garbage bags.

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
Are plastic bags really an issue for us here? The cartoon does make a great point there is plastic in just about everything we purchase. Are not the big polluters the unregulated countries like China, Pakistan and India where all the junk is coming from in the oceans? Or are Canadian and US waste companies also disposing in the ocean?

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
It's probably worth pointing out that there are many types of plastics, Polyethylene is only one (and there are many varieties of that.) IIRC, the shorter the polymer chain, the greater chance of pollution by micro particles of plastic. So it may be a good "first pass" at reducing plastic pollution on a macro and micro scale.

That said I'm not a chemist and I didn't even play one on TV. I would be interested in reading up the composition of grocery bags vs. garbage bags. I wonder if garbage bags would degrade more quickly etc.

·
Premium Member
17,759 Posts
I use my plastic bags two to three times. First for groceries, next to reuse for groceries, finally as garbage bags. Without them, I would need to buy plastic garbage bags.
That describes my use as well, although recently have not been reusing for groceries due to the need to stockpile. Since I use them to line the small garbage pail under the sink, when I run out they will no doubt be replaced by bags that are more profitable for the creme de la elite. But also much slower to break down.

BTW Dog owners typically carry a few in their pockets to deal with that form of waste. Also handy for picking up the innummerable face diapers that the true believers insist on dropping in parking lots, or on streets and sidewalks.

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
why would it be more profitable for the uh, "creme de la elite"? Are these the people who drink lattes? Maybe use grey poupon on their hot dogs? I would think supplying all those grocery stores that many bags would be serious bread and butter for those companies. But Id be interested in seeing some numbers! And you need to use compostable bags for dog poop, or at least here you do.

·
Premium Member
17,759 Posts
The fact that your the only place on the planet requiring compost able bags for Dung pick up does not make it universal. Does Dougie require those for picking up face diapers as well?

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
Did you forget to show some numbers as to your big conspiracy about bag companies making more money by not supplying grocery stores with plastic bags?

Im waiting. But certainly not holding my breath. I see you’ve sprayed a bunch of nonsensical conspiracy crap around here lately.

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
Oh and face diapers. Huh. Don’t tell me you’re one of those whiney little weanies crying about putting on a damn mask for the good of others are you? Waaaah I have to wear massask my fweeedumbs are being hurt!! I’ve seen those numbskulls on Facebook too, always posting the same youtubes with some ‘doctor’ with slick monetized youtubes with ‘the truth they don’t want you to hear’

people are so gullible these days.

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
It's probably worth pointing out that there are many types of plastics, Polyethylene is only one (and there are many varieties of that.) IIRC, the shorter the polymer chain, the greater chance of pollution by micro particles of plastic. So it may be a good "first pass" at reducing plastic pollution on a macro and micro scale.

That said I'm not a chemist and I didn't even play one on TV. I would be interested in reading up the composition of grocery bags vs. garbage bags. I wonder if garbage bags would degrade more quickly etc.
One of my first jobs out of high school was working on a huge printing press that printed those bags. Next to us was the machines that cut the rolls we printed. They used the same poly film from extrusion to cut unprinted bags for garbage cans as we used to print grocery bags. (Not the black garbage bags, I don’t know what film that is) That was a number of years ago, I’m sure there are changes in poly composition now. We had two main types, the poly, and high density. The high density was our favorite because you’d put one roll on the press and it’s go for 2 hours. Often grocery store orders were for 10 million plus, so that’s a lot of bags. I think it was only recently that that film was added to the recyclables.

I’m down with the reduction in plastics. The packaging we have on products is just ridiculous, and we all know it. Governments are often afraid to go after that, they’re pro business after all. I’ve switched over to cloth bags and the reusable produce bags a long time ago. Produce keeps better in the reusable ones. I really wish there would be far more regulation to plastic use on packaging. As for grocery, I think the solution may be still in charging for the plastic bags. They’re there as an option but maybe 10cents or more might convince people.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Oh and face diapers. Huh. Don’t tell me you’re one of those whiney little weanies crying about putting on a damn mask for the good of others are you? Waaaah I have to wear massask my fweeedumbs are being hurt!! I’ve seen those numbskulls on Facebook too, always posting the same youtubes with some ‘doctor’ with slick monetized youtubes with ‘the truth they don’t want you to hear’

people are so gullible these days.
Yup, he’s one of those WLW’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
42,471 Posts
That describes my use as well, although recently have not been reusing for groceries due to the need to stockpile. Since I use them to line the small garbage pail under the sink, when I run out they will no doubt be replaced by bags that are more profitable for the creme de la elite. But also much slower to break down.
Large grocery store chains love to charge for individual bags because it externalizes a cost they once had to bear themselves and turns it into a profit centre, so I discount their support for these proposals straight off. It's like the light bulb suppliers and retailers supporting LEDs because the profit margins were huge compared to incandescents.

I occasionally used some of those reusable plastic "totes" with stitching that were being given away, but using them a few times I found the handles breaking and the corners ripping. They become filthy quickly and don't survive well in the washing machine. They contain enough plastic to make hundreds of regular grocery bags and they're not accepted for recycling--all trash.

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
I highly doubt anyone cared or gave any credence to the grocery stores support for and apparent ensuing 'profit centers' in the first place, so that's a completely moot point. In fact the sobeys behind me banned this 'profit centre' some time ago so guess they weren't down with such profits. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Large grocery store chains love to charge for individual bags because it externalizes a cost they once had to bear themselves and turns it into a profit centre, so I discount their support for these proposals straight off. It's like the light bulb suppliers and retailers supporting LEDs because the profit margins were huge compared to incandescents.

I occasionally used some of those reusable plastic "totes" with stitching that were being given away, but using them a few times I found the handles breaking and the corners ripping. They become filthy quickly and don't survive well in the washing machine. They contain enough plastic to make hundreds of regular grocery bags and they're not accepted for recycling--all trash.
I hate to say it, but you may have a point there, Macfury.

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
It's funny. I have probably about 20 some odd cloth grocery bags Ive collected over the past say, 20 years. And more recently the reusable produce bags. They're easier to use because the handles on them are awesome. They survive the washing machine pretty great, even the ones approaching near 20 years old are still going strong.

So it's kind hard for me to imagine really, what the hell the fuss really is about. I haven't seen anyone declare 'It's my freedom to want plastic bags' yet (unless you're in Sobeys I guess) so I haven't yet figured out what the issue really is. I think Sobeys does offer paper bags. Someone told me they hated them and it made me wonder, all those years growing up with grocery paper bags, how on earth did we ever, ever survive such hardship?
;)

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
It's funny. I have probably about 20 some odd cloth grocery bags Ive collected over the past say, 20 years. And more recently the reusable produce bags. They're easier to use because the handles on them are awesome. They survive the washing machine pretty great, even the ones approaching near 20 years old are still going strong.

So it's kind hard for me to imagine really, what the hell the fuss really is about. I haven't seen anyone declare 'It's my freedom to want plastic bags' yet (unless you're in Sobeys I guess) so I haven't yet figured out what the issue really is. I think Sobeys does offer paper bags. Someone told me they hated them and it made me wonder, all those years growing up with grocery paper bags, how on earth did we ever, ever survive such hardship?
;)
My Sobeys does not offer plastic, only paper and the reusable. Small town with the owner who you will see stocking shelves so probably more in touch with the community then your average owner in larger cities. I don't give it much thought, I just take whatever is cheapest and go about my day. Usually my shopping is an after thought on the way home from work, if I am at home first I just bring a reusable one. Never felt put out by anything they have done when it comes to bagging.

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
My Sobeys does not offer plastic, only paper and the reusable. Small town with the owner who you will see stocking shelves so probably more in touch with the community then your average owner in larger cities. I don't give it much thought, I just take whatever is cheapest and go about my day. Usually my shopping is an after thought on the way home from work, if I am at home first I just bring a reusable one. Never felt put out by anything they have done when it comes to bagging.
AFAIK, this goes for the whole Sobeys chain, not just select towns, unless I have that wrong. Ive tended to go to sobeys over the loblaws here, though the fiesta farms here is just incredible.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
My Sobeys does not offer plastic, only paper and the reusable.
I don't know about you, but I used their paper bags precisely once and haven't forgotten to bring my bags with me since. I find them awkward to carry, and they ripped easily. Mind you part of that might be that the cashier loaded them as though they were plastic bags.

Handy to use for getting the charcoal bbq lit though.

·
peek-a-boo
16,511 Posts
maybe that’s the idea! I dislike them as well as I often walk to my grocery store, (except for the big hauls every few weeks) their big failing is no handles.

as I said maybe it’s my age but somehow my family got along fine with them in the 60s/70s. I think grocery carts were common if you walked, I even had one early 80s when I first left home.

25201 - 25220 of 25244 Posts