Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

been using PCs since about 1989... a coworker turned me on to the newer Macs and their incredible Unix-based, OS/X operating system... the more I read on Mac forums like this, the more I am sold on switching to the Mac_World...

I will be moving house in the near future and want a notebook for mobility aspects assoicated with the move... I have 4 basic choices in mind and they are (all with government discount and in US $'s):

12" IBOOK - $1760
800 MHz, 60G HD, 640 M RAM, BT, Airport, APP, .MAC, MS Office

14" IBOOK - $1848
1 GHz, 60G HD, 640 M RAM, BT, Airport, APP, .MAC, MS Office

12" Powerbook - $2252

1 GHz, 80G HD, 512 M RAM, SuperDrive, APP, Airport, .MAC, MS
Office and Quicken

15" Powerbook - $3090

1.25 GHz, 80G 5400 RPM HD, 512 M RAM (on 1 chip), Superdrive, APP,
.MAC, MS Office and Quicken

My current computer use is not "poweruser" by any means, however I want to leave open the idea of future multimedia apps, editing movies, etc... Also, a guy at the Apple shop told me that IDVD is a nifty little, integrated product (in ILIFE), and IDVD only works with their SuperDrives... Also, my next job will be doing Java development in a Unix environment - and I want to play with XCODE on Mac OS/X (and I know that can be done equally well on an IBOOK)...

Now, I have poured over this forum and other Mac forums, and have read about recent Powerbook and IBOOK purchasers experiencing problems... Powerbook dead pixel and latch problems, and IBOOK logic board problems... I wonder if the percentage of defective Apple notebooks is as high as it appears if you read the forums... is it 5%, 10%, 15% of the notebooks being sold - or is it MUCH lower and it only seems higher as I am reading mostly about folks with problems... Also, it is very interesting to read about Powerbook Titanium owners not complaining of similar manufacturing defects - and it is unfortunate for Apple to be having this sort of problem for such a premium, kewl, feature-filled, and exciting product... Also, it is intersting that PowerMac G5 users aren't reporting manufacturing defects like the ones that new Mac notebook users are reporting... Guess it is easier to make desktops than ultra thin and feature laden notebooks...

Also, I have read that it is a good idea to wait on new Mac purchases until we hear what is announced at the massive Mac Conference in early January to hear about near future product offerings - new ILife version, Powerbooks with G5s in them (and we thought that the G4 runs hot!!), new IPODs, etc, etc...

If you reply I would like to hear what you have and if it is one of the newer models, if you have had problems...

thanks for all the great info in this forum... I have learned tons of OS/X and Apple related info - and I don't even have one yet! I am typing this from my 4 year old, trusty Dell Dimension 550 MHz PC running MS XP Pro (while listening to The Boss/Springsteen on my headphones - "When I'm Out In The Street..."...

Happy Holidays!!,
Southside

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Welcome to ehMac and to Mac,

I have a 12" Powerbook G4, rev. A, 640MB RAM Superdrive. I love it to bits (pun intended). Great for mobility, satisfactory for video editing, even better when connected to my 19" monitor. Great little machine.

The new 14" ibook is also something to look at. These were not available with a G4 when I bought my PB. Looks like great value.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Welcome, southside!

Considering the time of year, I shouldn't be surprised more replies haven't been forthcoming.

Sharing business space with one of Canada's leading Apple resellers for the past year, I'm privy to a little more information than some. From my perspective, the ratio of defective to perfect units has climbed over the past while, but is STILL at a very low rate. I doubt Apple's ratio is any worse than other leading manufacturers, rather still better than the rest.

If at all possible, I'd strongly recommend aligning yourself with a well known, reputable Apple reseller in your locale. Having purchased numerous Macs since 1997, I've found after sales service critical in providing the great experiences I continue to have with all 4 of my current systems.

Regarding your specific requirements, I'd suggest considering the largest screen size possible and setting aside a portion of your budget for additional RAM. Have your preferred retailer provide the RAM, as Apple's is a little pricey. Video editing obviously places more demand on a system than virtually anything else, suggesting the higher speed processors and larger drives would be best suited for this purpose. Whether or not a Superdrive is needed is really dependent on how you'll be dealing with file back up, the respective file size and type.

Best of the season to you... we'll be anxious to hear of your new purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
MacWorld SF is only a couple of weeks away. I'd wait if I were you though the rumours claim no new hardware announcements.
Apple has been know to pull off some surprises in the past so you never know.
My feeling is there won't be any G5 laptops until at least late next summer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks KPS, Mississauga, adagio for your replies,

I am not sure what resellers we have besides COMPUSA on Oahu... reason I wanted to buy via Apple.com on the NET was that I wanted to customize what I get (1 512 M RAM chip, faster 80 G HD) and still get the US government discount... haven't seen resellers that offer that on the NET - most have various package deals that feature good buys on additional RAM, carrying cases, etc... but not exactly what I am looking for...

Also, since I will be moving to the mainland this summer, there won't be much time to deal with a dealer on this end...

spent a couple minutes at the Apple store in Oahu today... mostly on the 15" Powerbook - sweet, sweet machine! asked if they had any after Christmas sales, and as expected the answer was "no"... guess I can't expect the same type of discounts as offered in the PC world...

again many thanks!
Southside (typing while listening to more Bruce Springsteen on my headphones, "Loving You Is a Man's Job")

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you are going to do some java dev, I think the PB is a better bet because of the dual screen capability.

Defective products always seem to be numerous while in fact they rarement are more than 2/1000 in a normal company and I guess its even less at Apple. They seem to be more present only because people are more easly tend to complain than say great things about a product. In my case, I had no problem with my PB 12'' 1Ghz.

The only thing that bother me is that I should have taken a G5 instead of the PB. After a few weeks I noticed that I carry my PB much less than what I thought I would have done in the first place. But hey, who knows if its not going to change next spring!

Good luck and trust me, mac are excellent java dev station! (I hope you are using intellij, its years ahead of xcode and the others... )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mantat,

Intellij - never heard of it... tell me more... checked out their Web site... seems pretty pricey... is it worth it? why is it so much better than XCODE?

thanks,
SouthSide

·
Registered
435 Posts
Southside:
intellij can speed up your programing speed by a big factor. Here are some of the reason:

- refactoring: if you change the name of any variable/class/method, the software can update all the calls in your code in a moment.
- template: you can create live template. By that I mean that you can for exemple create a template that will insert code before and after the current code selection. This is great for creating testing code when you are looking for speed enhacement.
- code completion and instant importing: intellij will notice when you call a class from another package and will ask yo if you want to import it.
- and a crap load of other feature....

Just give it a try! Every single person I know who have tried it has become a user. The only downside is that the software is a little bit slow if you have an old machine but the few second you will have to wait will be transformed in hours of saving...

give it a try and tell me what you think...

I just wish I could get a cut from all the new client I have given them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts