Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
It's considerable more than the price of the MS scroll optical mouse that has excellent software and sure doesn't break. I must say this doesn't do a lot for me tho it will likely look better in real life.

vs

The red glow on the MS Optical and the matte slip free surface shows attention to function over looks......the way it should be. :cool:

and the MS has a long cord for iBook owners. ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It looks nice, but still seems a little too flat for my comfort. I like nice rounded mice. ;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I like it so far... Although I did buy a Kensington more recently (@ the Apple s store in NY) - only to find to hella gutless. Way too light/bordering on flimsy to me. I like the Apple OEM or maybe have gotten so used to it, that I appreciate it's weight.

This looks good though...

H!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I use a Macally USB optical internet mouse. I love the way it glows bright red and I can detach and choose a new color to match my Powerbook or my eMac at will. I do however, think them to be over priced at $49.95. I will watch for the new style to appear on store shelves. A firsthand look always beats promo pictures.

·
Registered
160 Posts
MacDoc shows his true colours! He's a Micro$oft lover! Shame Shame!

Just kidding, it's the same mouse I use. I have 3 of them. :D

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
I think weight is important too - the MS Optical 2 button is light but well shaped.
I STILL enjoy using the heavy Apple ADB II mouse and the light ADB one sucks.
The MS Explorer has excellent weight down low and just tracks very well and smooth as a result and has a built in thumb rest too - somthing most other mice lack..

I use a gel wrist pad with the 3m Precision pad surface for all our opticals finding it the best of the bunch. Around $15-25 for the integrated pad and wrist rest. Very comfortable

This is the one I use tho there are others around. I find the shape of the surface best as it's wider than many and I have dual monitors. :cool:

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
I wish ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
"I use a gel wrist pad with the 3m Precision pad surface for all our opticals finding it the best of the bunch. Around $15-25 for the integrated pad and wrist rest. Very comfortable"

i find that hard to believe. comfortable? sure. but functional? don't know about that. optical mice work best with a solid colour underneath, and not some cheesy star scene designed by wanna-be old hippies.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Do some research.
Optical mice work best on a somewhat varigated surface that's how they track.
3M has the best surface by far, for both optical and ball.

"Generally with ball mice, you need a little texture to ensure the ball can grip the surface, while optical mice tend to work best on smooth surfaces that have neither too much or too little of a pattern"
from game review

"The IntelliEye sensor performs best on surfaces with detail to track."

·
Registered
268 Posts
my research is well tested, thank-you very much, not via some copy writer's statement on a product review website, but down in the trenches in countless studios across the city. i've always found the surface grip of 3m pads to be great before they lose their "newness" (usually about 5 months with heavy use), but nevertheless terrible for optical tracking. the sensor doesn't know what to do with all those chemtrails and comets, and tends to make the cursor jump around the screen. 3m should make a new pad with a (gasp!) solid colour, and they should make it much bigger too. the gel pad gets in the way when you want to get down near the bottom of your screen. better yet, 3m should sell solid colour rolls of that surface for purchase by the metre. sure, with the price they sell those mouse pad combos for, entire rolls of that stuff would cost the consumer a small fortune, but how cool would it be to cover your entire desk with it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's why I keep coming back to ehMac, not for the friendly advice or the support of a Canadian Mac community. I come back for the bickering.

/End sarcastic comments

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Say, that's a nice mouse! Apple SHOULD build one like that!

MacDoc, I am sorry, but a friend of mine offered me his MS Optical Explorer device for cheap (he got tired of the feel of it... and the buttons DO feel a little flimsy...). I jumped on it! So, I won't be getting that sweet kensington trackball from you. I'm sorry! :(

·
Registered
762 Posts
I use a Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical 4 button mouse on a leather (Roots) mouse pad, works perfect. Recently I picked up a slab of thick leather and cut it into mouse pads for the rest of the family.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks like I'm going to have to be the one who leaps to the defence of Apple's one-button mouse. The thing I like most about it is that I can put my clicking finger anywhere that feels comfortable, and I don't have to worry about accidentally clicking on the wrong side. In fact, I usually hold it in such a way that my finger is on the right side of the mouse, which of course would never do on a two-button mouse, where most of the work is done on the left side. I suppose it could be reconfigured, but that would just add to the confusion. In the end, though, I guess we all have to do what works best for us. And it's great to have options.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Forgive my heresy, but I still think that Microsoft's scroll/optical mouse is the best model out there. There have been rumours that Apple might be planning to spring some kind of rotary device in place of the scroll wheel (I think this was covered on Macrumours a while back), but nothing yet, just a goofy bluetooth implementation of their one-button mouse.

What _is_ it with that company and the mouse products they make? I seem the recall that the puck mouse had a similarly lukewarm adoption rate among users.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Some interesting background re this "new mouse" and Macmice.com-

http://www.jackwhispers.com/

and

http://www.macintouch.com/mactable.html

Gist of reports is that guy behind MacMice, Mactable, DVForge is a bit "unscrupulous", to put it mildly, and you can find the same mouse, from original supplier, for much, much less. Humming "Notorious"...
BTW, I have many of the various mice, trackballs, tablets available for Mac-optical, cordless, etc. but still love my dirty old ADB II best ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts