Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

941 - 960 of 961 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #941 ·
On a related note, how about an RBI opportunity percentage. That would be the batting average when another player is already on second and/or third.
I think you could get this from the pitchers end as they do track that somewhat. But essentiall every hitter can provide his own RBI , or a slugging of 1. For me, LOB would be able to calculate this.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #942 ·
Interesting.

If I was a manager, I'd like to know a player's batting average when someone's already on base. In other words, do they tend to "choke" when someone's on base, or do they tend to "rise to the occasion". This type of average would be just as valid for players on weak teams as those on strong teams.

If you just look at RBIs, then there are some players that have a distinct advantage because of the team strength and/or their position in the batting order. That makes it much harder to make a useful comparison between players.
To add to this...it is technically possible that a run can score without a hit, but would not be an RBI..such as a walk and 3 stolen bases. There are two views on this. One is there are players who get on base, the other there are players who bring in runs.....what I am after is the possibility of a run for a player during an appearance...since ABs have such a fine definition.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Yabbut, RBIs also depend on the on hitting capabilities of the whole team. A good hitter on a poor hitting team will naturally have fewer RBIs than an good hitter on a good hitting team, no matter how you slice it. That really isn't a good way to compare individuals on different teams.

On a similar vein, looking at numbers left on base doesn't cut it either when considering players on different teams. A good hitting team will have more opportunities to have players left on base, so it's natural to expect any player on that team to have a higher number of left on base numbers.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #944 ·
Yabbut, RBIs also depend on the on hitting capabilities of the whole team. A good hitter on a poor hitting team will naturally have fewer RBIs than an good hitter on a good hitting team, no matter how you slice it. That really isn't a good way to compare individuals on different teams.
Rob, there is truth in what you say...but remember you can get on base with out having a hit...so the question is what are the chances of batters getting on base so the batter at home can get an RBI.... my view is to get a metric based on plate appearances and any run scored no matter how....so I am going to call it the RP...run potential. Every team, no matter what sport, has a player that the teams just knows will come through...a Richard or Gretz of baseball if you will.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Nah, I don't agree. You're still not considering the rest of the team. A good team will make every individual on that team score higher, since every individual has more opportunities for most criteria.

.... and if it was me, I'd take Messier over Gretzky any day of the week. When it came to the playoffs, Messier played like a demon possessed, while Gretzky just looked ordinary.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #946 ·
Nah, I don't agree. You're still not considering the rest of the team. A good team will make every individual on that team score higher, since every individual has more opportunities for most criteria.

.... and if it was me, I'd take Messier over Gretzky any day of the week. When it came to the playoffs, Messier played like a demon possessed, while Gretzky just looked ordinary.
Rob, that’s the beauty of sport….debate. I can see your view, and would agree on Messier, but when one tries to place the value on a player by a number it certainly opens up for debate. Baseball is all about stats…some people agree with them others don’t… so I’m working on a stat that you don’t agree with, which is perfectly fine…after all, it’s the discussion on threads like this that counts. When I have my material in order I’ll post it here before sending it on to SABR for their discussion….they might agree with you.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
What! Throwing in the towel now, not throwing down the gloves?

... and they call this a Canadian forum, hrrmmmph!

Reactions: Rps

·
Canadian By Choice
117,369 Posts
My SF Giants have the best record in baseball so far this year. :)

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #949 ·
My SF Giants have the best record in baseball so far this year. :)
Yeah it’s curious, but remember there are 4 other teams with 25 wins...I think theirs will be the toughest division...but it’s early yet. What is astounding is the number of injuries teams are getting.....and it’s sooooooo early in the season. I’m wondering if it’s a by product of the short year last year? I am thinking teams haven’t put in the prep like they have in past years due to Covid.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,369 Posts
Yeah it’s curious, but remember there are 4 other teams with 25 wins...I think theirs will be the toughest division...but it’s early yet. What is astounding is the number of injuries teams are getting.....and it’s sooooooo early in the season. I’m wondering if it’s a by product of the short year last year? I am thinking teams haven’t put in the prep like they have in past years due to Covid.
We shall see. Still, my team still has the best record and that helps in the long run of a season.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #951 ·
We shall see. Still, my team still has the best record and that helps in the long run of a season.
Agreed, but I have always held the opinion the goal of baseball is to win series to individual games....the season is o long trying to win “games” can be unrealistic....but you could win all your series. When you have to win games anything can happen and you don’t want to be in a run near the end of a season and you have to win games....but winning series is doable.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,369 Posts
Agreed, but I have always held the opinion the goal of baseball is to win series to individual games....the season is o long trying to win “games” can be unrealistic....but you could win all your series. When you have to win games anything can happen and you don’t want to be in a run near the end of a season and you have to win games....but winning series is doable.
Remember, the genetic code of the Giants in 1951 still run strong in their DNA.

The Shot Heard 'Round The World - Bing video

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #954 ·
I think we can put the “deadened ball” theories to rest after last night’s scores....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,369 Posts
I think we can put the “deadened ball” theories to rest after last night’s scores....
Yes, the Braves went wild with homers and runs.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,369 Posts
Yankees outlast White Sox
The two starters made history
"Left-handers Jordan Montgomery and Carlos Rodón began the season near the back of their respective rotations, but they pitched like aces on Friday. Both pitchers set a career high in strikeouts -- Montgomery fanned 11 in seven scoreless innings while Rodón struck out 13 in six innings. They combined to give up six hits and did not walk a batter.

According to ESPN Stats & Info, this is the first game in baseball history in which the two starting pitchers each struck out at least 10 batters without issuing a walk or allowing a run."

Yankees outlast White Sox: Four things to know about one of the most exciting games of 2021 - CBSSports.com

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #957 ·
Yankees outlast White Sox
The two starters made history
"Left-handers Jordan Montgomery and Carlos Rodón began the season near the back of their respective rotations, but they pitched like aces on Friday. Both pitchers set a career high in strikeouts -- Montgomery fanned 11 in seven scoreless innings while Rodón struck out 13 in six innings. They combined to give up six hits and did not walk a batter.

According to ESPN Stats & Info, this is the first game in baseball history in which the two starting pitchers each struck out at least 10 batters without issuing a walk or allowing a run."

Yankees outlast White Sox: Four things to know about one of the most exciting games of 2021 - CBSSports.com
Saw it on MLB.....was a good game if you like defence .....I think this season the more notable thing was the 2-1 score.

Reactions: Dr.G.

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #959 ·
Reactions: Dr.G.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,369 Posts
This will be interesting to see how the season goes....Tony is the definition of old school...I think Connie Mack is safe as number 1 ........
Still, John McGraw did it all in one less season.

941 - 960 of 961 Posts