901 - 920 of 934 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #902
Sad news today in the Baseball world with the passing of Don Sutton.....another Dodger legend gone.......

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
Sad news today in the Baseball world with the passing of Don Sutton.....another Dodger legend gone.......
:( He was a great pitcher.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
From the Washington Post

"Hank Aaron dies at 86. He used his Hall of Fame baseball career as a platform to champion civil rights.
Throughout his 23-year career, spent mostly with the Braves in Milwaukee and then Atlanta, "Hammerin' Hank" was admired as a model of steady excellence on the diamond, even though he lacked the swaggering charisma of Babe Ruth or the exuberant flair of his contemporaries Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente. He smashed Ruth's all-time home run record, finishing with 755, in defiance of threats to his life and never forgot the jeers he received while playing in the South during the days of segregation."

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #906
All I can say is another one gone! I guess that is the price for living as long as we have...our heroes go one at a time. He was a great player, and from all accounts a good person.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
All I can say is another one gone! I guess that is the price for living as long as we have...our heroes go one at a time. He was a great player, and from all accounts a good person.
:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
17,744 Posts
From the Washington Post

"Hank Aaron dies at 86. He used his Hall of Fame baseball career as a platform to champion civil rights.
Throughout his 23-year career, spent mostly with the Braves in Milwaukee and then Atlanta, "Hammerin' Hank" was admired as a model of steady excellence on the diamond, even though he lacked the swaggering charisma of Babe Ruth or the exuberant flair of his contemporaries Willie Mays and Roberto Clemente. He smashed Ruth's all-time home run record, finishing with 755, in defiance of threats to his life and never forgot the jeers he received while playing in the South during the days of segregation."

Ironic that less than 3 weeks before his death he took the vaccine hit to prove to blacks how safe it was.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
Ironic that less than 3 weeks before his death he took the vaccine hit to prove to blacks how safe it was.
Good for him. He was a great man as well as a great baseball player.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
This just reported by the Washington Post -- "Baseball Hall of Fame voters again reject Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Curt Schilling, keeping them out of Cooperstown
No players on this year's ballot reached the 75 percent threshold to gain induction, an uncommon but unsurprising outcome, with Bonds, Clemens and Schilling each previously falling short. This year's ballot highlighted the challenges that voters face when dealing with baseball's steroid era, as well as other character concerns in potential Hall of Famers."

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #911
I actually like that the HoF has years with no inductees. On the other hand, I think those guys plus Rose should be in.....let the argument begin.....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
I actually like that the HoF has years with no inductees. On the other hand, I think those guys plus Rose should be in.....let the argument begin.....
I am OK with Rose getting in, but have doubts re those who took steroids.

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #913
So as another season of baseball approaches ...here comes the age old question...should the league institute an actual salary cap, continue with the luxury tax, or....as I lean towards....don’t have any limits on team salaries......unleash the hounds.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
So as another season of baseball approaches ...here comes the age old question...should the league institute an actual salary cap, continue with the luxury tax, or....as I lean towards....don’t have any limits on team salaries......unleash the hounds.
Yes, caps and limits would help the game. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #915
Yes, caps and limits would help the game. We shall see.
I’m not so sure it does Marc. The current tax is a form of cap...and its rules can easi undermine its intent..... if market teams will always have the upper hand. I think caps make the teams business lazy. Baseball‘s cap woes began because it allowed ego owners in who knew little of the business....the league had some sense about it but the Phillies owner went on a salary ramp after Pete Rose and opened the flood gates again. Too me who loses in this are the fans....ticket prices. To truly bring down the ticket cost the teams should be run as a regular business without a cap....if one team goes down due to incompetence the whole league would wake up. The next thing MLB could do is stop publishing salaries.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
I’m not so sure it does Marc. The current tax is a form of cap...and its rules can easi undermine its intent..... if market teams will always have the upper hand. I think caps make the teams business lazy. Baseball‘s cap woes began because it allowed ego owners in who knew little of the business....the league had some sense about it but the Phillies owner went on a salary ramp after Pete Rose and opened the flood gates again. Too me who loses in this are the fans....ticket prices. To truly bring down the ticket cost the teams should be run as a regular business without a cap....if one team goes down due to incompetence the whole league would wake up. The next thing MLB could do is stop publishing salaries.
I agree about how the fans get shafted. When my son lived in TO he went to see the Jays. They had good seats which cost him a fortune

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #917
I agree about how the fans get shafted. When my son lived in TO he went to see the Jays. They had good seats which cost him a fortune
Well we need to enjoy the game this season as I think there will be a lockout in 2022!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
Well we need to enjoy the game this season as I think there will be a lockout in 2022!
I had not heard of any lockout!!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,022 Posts
Toronto finishes the pre-season with an American League-best 16-9-2 record. We shall see how this translates in the regular season.

901 - 920 of 934 Posts