Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, i just stumbled on a HDD that crapped out on me, and had totally forgotten about it. (it was tucked away in this little basket of mine). I recalled asking them on twitter what to do, and just put it aside as I had an older smaller HDD sitting around, and since it's all backed up, it was just 1-2 hrs out of my day. This failure happened Jan 2012

So I decided to call them this week and lo and behold, HDD was still under warranty and for $11, they're FedEx'ing a new HDD with a prepaid box to send them the old one in. Exact same one: 500G 7200. This totally made my day.

Just got a notice that it's on it's way - all in 24-48 hrs.

Maybe I will do the small SSD bootable/application drive w/ this as a data drive.

It was a pretty painless and smooth experience over the phone. I like to point that out when it happens since cust serv/phone support can be pretty bad in this day (i'm talking about you ADOBE)

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Never had issues with Seagate RMA service. They used to provide advanced replacement for free if you give your credit card number. They have since stopped doing it and started charging 11$ for the advanced replacement.

So i usually just send the drive in instead and wait for a replacement (8$ usually) I always keep a box around for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
i recommend you test the reconditioned drive you get back.. as I had them fail within 3 months..

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Never had issues with Seagate RMA service. They used to provide advanced replacement for free if you give your credit card number. They have since stopped doing it and started charging 11$ for the advanced replacement.

So i usually just send the drive in instead and wait for a replacement (8$ usually) I always keep a box around for this purpose.
I've never had an issue with Seagate RMAs. Their drives, on the other hand...

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
thats the reason I switched to WD Black for laptop drives and Enterprise for Desktop..
WD= Western Digital..
that said - i have a had a DOA with WD on one desktop drive and a few failures with the laptop drive, but still less than seagate..

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would imagine that HDDs are prone to failure - period. But this was more a comment on the fact that the RMA/cust serv experience was a pleasant change and contrast to some recent dealings I had - notably with Adobe.

I'm sure that tons of companies slide us refurb's as replacement - notably ROGERS.

I've been a OEM, Seagate, WD person. Although I'm not so crazy about my WD external.

·
Banned
285 Posts
I've had issues with both their drives (lots of them), and with RMAs (but only a few times). I don't care at this point if they will replace them when they fail -- and it's more often than not a when and not an if! I can honestly never trust my data on them again -- their quality control is non-existant it seems, they ship drives with bad and un-updatable firmware way too often for my liking. I have a stack of about 5-6 dead Seagate drives sitting on my work bench right now. I made the critical mistake of buying 12 of their problematic 1.5TB drives for my main RAID storage setup .... never again.

·
Premium Member
15,515 Posts
I would imagine that HDDs are prone to failure - period. ...
I'm sure that tons of companies slide us refurb's as replacement - notably ROGERS.

I've been a OEM, Seagate, WD person. Although I'm not so crazy about my WD external.

As far as I recall, Seagate, WD and Hitachi all state, or used to, that any on warranty drive may be replaced with a similar refurb unit or larger replacement drive, which is a pretty up front disclosure.

And I have never had any problems with my WD external desktop drives, and any original brand HDDs that have failed, regardless of brand and out of warranty, with any of our desktop Macs, get replaced with WD Black HDDs. No question about that at all!! ;)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as I mentioned, this was more about a pleasant RMA experience. Again, failure happens. I had 2 Mac laps go on me, one off Apple care as well. But hell, it served me well for a long time. Off to the next.

As far as I recall, Seagate, WD and Hitachi all state, or used to, that any on warranty drive may be replaced with a similar refurb unit or larger replacement drive, which is a pretty up front disclosure.

And I have never had any problems with my WD external desktop drives, and any original brand HDDs that have failed, regardless of brand and out of warranty, with any of our desktop Macs, get replaced with WD Black HDDs. No question about that at all!! ;)
I'm not surprised.

H!

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
I've had issues with both their drives (lots of them), and with RMAs (but only a few times). I don't care at this point if they will replace them when they fail -- and it's more often than not a when and not an if! I can honestly never trust my data on them again -- their quality control is non-existant it seems, they ship drives with bad and un-updatable firmware way too often for my liking. I have a stack of about 5-6 dead Seagate drives sitting on my work bench right now. I made the critical mistake of buying 12 of their problematic 1.5TB drives for my main RAID storage setup .... never again.
this is getting way off topic, but i can't stop myself from commenting.

Not because you bought 12 of their 7200.11 drives means Seagate drives are not reliable at all.

My company deals with alot of enterprise class storage systems.. Dell Equallogics, EMC VNX, etc. You pretty much only see Seagate drives in SAN/NAS storage. Yet, their failure rate is pretty low. We probably sold way over 500 seagate drives in the past 3 years, and that excludes all the ones that were already in production before i came to this company. So there are over 1000 seagate drives in production right now and there are about 5 drives that failed in the past 3 years.

And btw, you know you get what you paid for right? Who told you to go cheap and get desktop drives for your storage server?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
My company deals with alot of enterprise class storage systems.. Dell Equallogics, EMC VNX, etc. You pretty much only see Seagate drives in SAN/NAS storage. Yet, their failure rate is pretty low. We probably sold way over 500 seagate drives in the past 3 years, and that excludes all the ones that were already in production before i came to this company. So there are over 1000 seagate drives in production right now and there are about 5 drives that failed in the past 3 years.
Any idea why this is? I've had good experiences w/ WD RE drives - certainly more so than Seagate Constellations. Obviously a small sample size, but still curious.

·
Banned
285 Posts
this is getting way off topic, but i can't stop myself from commenting.

Not because you bought 12 of their 7200.11 drives means Seagate drives are not reliable at all.

And btw, you know you get what you paid for right? Who told you to go cheap and get desktop drives for your storage server?
Yes it was my bad for buying cheap Seagate drives for my storage system, but as I said never again for me regardless of their intended usage. My problem is that they let through three completely different sets of drives with horrible firmware to the public in the last several years and I got stung by two out of three of them. You would have thought I would have learned after the bad batch of 500G drives, but nope .. I bought into it again and ended up with even more bad 1.5TB drives.

And this is the exact root of my issue with seagate ... their quality control is horrible. Maybe it's different with their higher end drives, but price shouldn't be a factor in quality control. Did they know they shipped a boatload of bad drives? Absolutely. Did they recall them or provide proper replacement programs for them? Only through large vendors like Apple and Dell, if you bought them from a distributor you were on your own, and dealing with their RMA dept was less than satisfying to say the least. When they send you back a failed drive and tell you that it is fine (even though it audibly clunks, fails SMART, and has hundreds and hundreds of bad blocks, a number hat kept continuously growing) that's not great ... but when they send back that same drive twice, it's unacceptable.

It's good that you have had good experiences with their higher end drives, I certainly have not had similar experiences with their consumer level drives. Seagates are the only drives I've owned since the old IBM De{sk|ath}Stars that I've had such high failure rates with. Now there's (another) recall/replacement program of 1TB Seagate drives through Apple ... there seems to be a pattern happening here ... while some of their drives/models seem to do well there are certainly a fair number of lemons as well.

I initially replaced some of the failed Seagates with Hitachi's and WD greens (after performing the WDIDDLE fixes) and have had zero issues with them, even though they are also cheap desktop drives, and now as the last of the Seagates die I have been replacing them with WD reds and all the new drives I've added to my Norco chassis are all WD reds.

Hard drives do die, that's the reality of it, but the percentage of Seagate drives I personally have had die on me have been ridiculously high and they were ALL drives that seemingly shipped from Seagate with known problems. Again just not acceptable, regardless of what they were used in.

·
Banned
285 Posts
Any idea why this is? I've had good experiences w/ WD RE drives - certainly more so than Seagate Constellations. Obviously a small sample size, but still curious.
I think it's because of the quality control ... some batches are good, some batches, not so much. I'm wondering if they don't filter down some of the known crappier ones through cheaper resellers and reserve the good ones for bigger enterprise clients/resellers ... who knows. I've seen lots of others in the same boat that swear by them but I personally know lots of users in both the low end and enterprise that are like me and won't even consider them any longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts