Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed a proficiency test in Indesign for a job I applied for. (it was on a PC:ptptptptp ) So, I met with a lady from the HR deptartment and she was my contact. Should I write a thank you letter to the HR person? I haven't heard anything yet about an interview...

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i don't know about a "thank you" letter but a follow up call asking about your status as candidate would be a good idea
it shows initiative and that you want the job
HR people are usually deluged with snail mail

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
I don't know about a follow up call, as HR people are usually also deluged with those. If they're filling 20 jobs, and each has 100 candidates, imagine how many calls they might have to field.

No doubt if you aced the test, you'll hear from them in due course.

How complicated was the InDesign test? I hope it was at least on a fast PC.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I knew it was on a PC. (I did ask a caller, but they did not know) It was really difficult re-learning the quick key commands. It was on a IBM laptop and that stupid Window's button kept screwing me up. I think I over thought the design problem, but, as someone told be the could not be finished in the time alotted
Maybe I'm making excuses...

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I don't know about a follow up call, as HR people are usually also deluged with those. If they're filling 20 jobs, and each has 100 candidates, imagine how many calls they might have to field.

No doubt if you aced the test, you'll hear from them in due course.

How complicated was the InDesign test? I hope it was at least on a fast PC.
a well mannered phone call would make someone stand out as being very interested in the job

one of the best lessons I ever learned in the art of a job interview was to "ask for the job"

if for some obscure reason that phone call had the reverse effect and hurt the chances of getting the job, i would consider that firm to not be worthy as they don't appreciate initiative

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
I completed a proficiency test in Indesign for a job I applied for. (it was on a PC:ptptptptp ) So, I met with a lady from the HR deptartment and she was my contact. Should I write a thank you letter to the HR person? I haven't heard anything yet about an interview...
Was the proficiency test in a room with other applicants? If so, leave HR alone. They're busy people. Along the same lines, many places now explicitly state in job ads that they do not want to be contacted other than for the application. That's a big hint.

If it was more personal than a testing classroom, then a quick email thanks/"inquiry on the interview process timeline" is relatively safe.

Phone is riskier because it forces your time into theirs.

A letter is more personal but going out of style (I find snail mail irritating unless it's in a box in which case I hope for something exciting :) ). Choose a written letter based on your judgement of the individual's personality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts