Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't tried this yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have an iPhone with 6Gb of data, but don't have a data plan on my iPad. I also have a cottage that I use that doesn't have internet. I get great 3G reception on the iPhone and can tether to my macbook very easily. Since I got my iPad I find myself using my laptop less and less for web surfing, email, etc (stuff when I'm not working).

Would I be able to tether my iphone to my macbook via bluetooth or USB cable and then share that internet connection via wifi and connect it to my iPad this way. I haven't had a chance to test this as it just occurred to me that this might work.

thoughts?

·
Frequently Befuddled
843 Posts
I think it should work.

All you need to do is configure the Macbook to share its internet connection over wifi -- it should not matter if the internet connection is coming in via ethernet or tethered via bluetooth or usb.

Then as far as the iPad is concerned, getting wifi from your Macbook is no different than any other wifi connection.

I say go for it!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, I'm looking forward to testing this tonight when I get home from work. I will post my results

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I've done this before - and it works well. The 3G gets a little bogged down when it's pulling down through the phone and then through the laptop and then out the Wifi, but it works.

I did this in Montreal when I was traveling and the hotel wanted $15/day for Wifi. I just Tethered my iPhone to my MBA and pumped out the Wifi to my partner and I's iPads. It was great!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know it works, did you use it through bluetoothor wired. If you tried both,did you notice a difference?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
One of the major reasons people jailbreak their iphones is for the MyWi app. Simply hit one switch on your iPhone and it turns in to a wifi hotspot for all your devices to share.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Good to know it works, did you use it through bluetoothor wired. If you tried both,did you notice a difference?
I used it though wired, but there's no reason the BT wouldn't work - just configure the MacBook to share the BT connection vs. the USB one.

I picked wired over Bluetooth 'cause the Tethering takes a hit on the iPhone's battery life - since the 3G modem is constantly running.

One of the major reasons people jailbreak their iphones is for the MyWi app. Simply hit one switch on your iPhone and it turns in to a wifi hotspot for all your devices to share.
MyWi is great - I had it on my JB'd 3GS. My iPhone 4 hasn't been jailbroken yet, that's why I had to use the MacBook as a Middleman.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree, mywii is great, but my significant other doesn't want me to jailbreak her phone and she's the one with the good data plan.

·
Registered
222 Posts
An alternative to jailbreaking the iPhone is to jailbreak the iPad and use the itether app to tether to iPhone via Bluetooth. Does the trick for my iPad.

G

·
Do it with a USB wired connection. Bluetooth is much slower (at least for me) even without the extra layer of sharing involved. I've done it like iPhone->USB->MBP->Wifi sharing->(to several other devices) and it worked fine and was pretty snappy for the most part.

G

·
Also worth noting that doing it this way get's around any 3G related restrictions for apps ... the iPad has no idea it's on 3G .. it's just on a wifi as far as it's concerned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts