Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed on my recent Fido bill that they added a line for tethering on the invoice. So pretty clear that wil not be free post-2009. Do recent Rogers bill also have a line for tethering on the invoice?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Noticed on my recent Fido bill that they added a line for tethering on the invoice. So pretty clear that wil not be free post-2009. Do recent Rogers bill also have a line for tethering on the invoice?
...at which point i will gladly give up my 6gb dataplan for a less costly one. tethering is the only way in hello i'd ever reach the 6gb limit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
...at which point i will gladly give up my 6gb dataplan for a less costly one. tethering is the only way in hello i'd ever reach the 6gb limit.
As will I... I went with it primarily with the hopes that this option would be available and it finally is. They take that away then I will probably revisit my entire plan as I wouldn't even come close to 500 MB a month without it.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I wonder how big the placeholder is for the monetary charge? I would think at least 9 places - someone is bound to rack in a million dollar charge in the first month...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the 6GB plan, and the reason I got it was the hope that I would some day be able to tether with it. I've never crossed the 1GB limit. Most months I use about 300MB. So if they decide to charge, looks like I'll either drop down to a cheaper plan, or... Jailbreak it, which I would not like to do. I've thus far kept my iPhone & TV pure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will Fido and Rogers be able to tell if you're tethering if you don't use the built-in tethering feature of 3.0.

Meaning if you were able to snag NetShare before Apple pulled it from the App Store and tethered that way, would they know?

With a 6GB data plan, I'm not really interesting in paying extra money to tether considering I barely use 100MB per month on the iPhone.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I suspect that they'll charge an extra $10 to tether... but everything's all speculation until December. Just enjoy your 'unlimited' tethering for now and quit whining until the time comes to whine.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I called Rogers customer service about this. If you have a 6GB plan, then it will continue to be included at no extra charge. They said in these words, "data is data".

I'm sure the pressure will increase as Bell/Telus move to GSM... in three years I could just switch, and will use the free socks proxy method via jailbreak until then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.