Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Terribly slow mac mail!!!😫

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  macintosh doctor 
#1 ·
I have rebuilt each and every one of my mailboxes in Mac Mail and repaired my harddrive and used Onyx all to no avail in trying to speedup my mail. I have an early 2008 iMac operating El Capitan 10.11.6. I am wondering if the microprocessor can keep up with the requirements of the OS?

It has reached the stage where I can type almost a complete line of text before it shows up on the screen. Terribly frustrating!

Any suggestions on how to speedup Mail gratefully accepted.

Cheers

#2 ·
Is it just mail that is slow? How much RAM do you have? When was the last time you did a clean install of your OS?

#3 ·
I would also ask how much free disk space you have.

Is your mail stored on your computer or is it an iMap account. If the latter the issue could be with whoever runs the server where your eMail is stored, or it could just be that your internet speed is slow.

#5 ·
I also have been finding Mail slow since upgrading to El Capitan. Not as slow as you, but a definite annoying lag between typing and the characters showing on the screen. I find it gets worse over time and shutting down mail and re-opening it fixes the problem temporarily. But then it starts to get slow again. I have a newer Mac, late 2013, with 16GB of RAM and 160GB of free disk space. I plan to do a fresh install of the OS but haven't had the time to do so.

#6 ·
I plan to do a fresh install of the OS but haven't had the time to do so.
In the interim, try just shutting down and then boot up using Safe Boot Mode.

You might want to do any possible maintenance checks or repairs while you're there, and then just reboot normally.

That alone should purge some surplus junk and help speed things up.

PS: Is the OP ever going to post back or did their hard drive or Mac just up and die????

#9 ·
has any one suggested to re index your mac?
simply open your system prefs
open spotlight
then privacy
then add your HD to the list
close the prefs
then re open and remove your HD
wait about 5 hours and it should solve the issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.