Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a site to go to that might have a good number of commands that one can type into the Terminal window to perform various tasks? I'm not sure where many of you get yours- unless you have some genius mind that just spits it out from former DOS experience (?).

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Start with these:

apropos search string

finds commands based on "search string"

such as network, disk, files, etc.

Then use:

man command name

to get the manual page for that command...

example: man man ;)

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KPS- your reply is a bit foreign to me. What exactly do I type in the Terminal and, do I hit Enter after what?

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
Actually, I'd guess most of us are getting these from fiddling with UNIX at some point or another.

A Google search on "UNIX Commands" revealed many promising sites. Off the top of the google list was this one, which looked like a pretty good beginner site:
http://www.nmt.edu/tcc/help/unix/unix_cmd.html

Note while the basic UNIX commands are identical across the board, different flavours of UNIX have variations. Checking the man page (as kps instructs) will show you what you can and cannot use. I doubt this will be an issue for you, but it's good to know in case you start seeing "command not found" errors.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Seriously if what KPS is saying is foreign to you, don't mess inside the Terminal. If you want to know how to use it... find yourself a good UNIX primer.

I use a BSD System V Release 4 manual that dates back to the ealy 90's it still applies... UNIX is awesome, but definately non trivial in terms of using.

·
Registered
346 Posts
O'Reilly, a reputable publisher of computer books has

Learning Unix for Mac OS X by Dave Taylor and Jerry Peek.

I think it is a good first book for learning about the Unix underbelly of OS X. It doesn't waste your time and you quickly learn some terminal commands.

If you already know Unix then

Mac OS X for Unix Geeks by Brian Jepson and Ernest Rothman

talks about how OS X differs from other Unixes.

- Terry O'Leary

I am just learning about OS Xs Unix myself. I have an Umax C500 Mac clone with a 240Mhz. 603e running Mac OS X. It has no monitor, keyboard or mouse yet I am using it as a web server and mail server.

My website is at jterry.no-ip.com/~websites/

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Here are some links to help you get started with the CLI

From my fave book publishers, O'Reilly Command Line Series.

Here's another one from Spike.org

Online man PAGES

Lastly...here's one I wrote a few years ago specifically for OS X users...a little out of date now. Basic Unix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts