Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
feels like another revolution in storage size! where were you when you saw your first 1GIG drive??? Now we're onto terabytes! :eek: two years of continuous music? one month of video?! crazy man. I can't figure out if it's actually one drive or not though...

http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10118

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Wow, that's insane. And when I think about it, my 30 GB hard drive still has 17.8 GB free! :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just think - soon we can all throw away those pesky vhs tapes! i want my eyetv!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
isn't that really just 3 or 4 hard drives together in a case? i wonder noisy and how much heat it generates.

·
Premium Member
31,002 Posts
You can put 1.2 Terrabytes in any G4 MDD tower. In theory 1.5 if you use the spare optical bay :eek: :cool:
That's 100 hours of video :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sure you can fit all that in a mac - but you can carry around a 5.25" case a lot easier than a 75 pound MDD Mac!!

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
but it's not a 5.25" case! it weighs almost 12 pounds! and it's $1200 usd !

i was in my high school tech class when i saw my first one gig drive. the teacher told us the capacity of the drive how many floppies it would hold etc. seemed impressive at the time...then he gave me crap for saving a massive 5 mb Photoshop file to the 1 gig server...

now i'll waste hundreds of megs of space without blinking....i can't even be bothered to tick off the LZW compression in the TIFF save dialog...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my mistake! i missunderstood :

unique innovation that packs an amazing 1 terabyte of storage space in a manageable 5.25" form factor.

it's actually :

6.3 x 3.4 x 10.6 in. / 173 x 88 268 mm (LxWxH)

12 POUNDS!? That's a hernia waiting to happen!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
The first GB drive I saw was at a company called Canadian Market Quotations - a stock market analysis and communications company. They had two 1GB drives (one for redundancy) in a dedicated room - they were multiple platter and packaged in towers each the size of a fridge.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Purchased a 1 gig drive in 1992. It was and still is a working Quantum drive. I don't use it anymore but the last time I plugged it into my 8100 via scsi port it spun up and worked. That was about 2 years ago. And the price I paid for the privalidge of 1 whole gig of space...$2300.00. I'll never forget the price because it was a hell of a lot of money, almost the same price as the Quadra I bought a couple of months before. Oh how times have changed. 40 gig drive inside a cigarette case sized iPod!

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
iChard,

"12 POUNDS!? That's a hernia waiting to happen!"

Perhaps it's time to get away from the computer for a while....

;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.