Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for a program that i can use to gauge the internal temp of my iMac.

I recently added a 7200RPM HD, and i have been told my others that internal temp could be a concern.

I just felt the back of the machine, and it is very hot.

Also, does my iMac have an internal fan? I can't hear one, so i assuming no.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The original iMacs were well-known for their great heat production, and no, does not have a fan. However, your hard drive will not overheat your iMac, so you don't have anything to worry about. Despite being 7200-RPM, the top of the drive many get a little warm, but not to the extent that you will need to worry about overheating.

I don't know any applications right off the to of my head for checking the temp. inside your iMac, but I know there are a few out there. Try www.macupdate.com and search.

EDIT: May I suggest ThermoInDock Lists the temp. of your Mac in the dock. Siffy indeed. ;) (-- this measures your CPU, proccessor temp. only - not the inside of your Mac--)

Download it! http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6112

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lars!

I am running it right now, and i am listed at 30 Degree's Farenheit.

Thats seems a little low.

Any other suggestions?

Peter

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maximusbibicus:
Thanks Lars!

I am running it right now, and i am listed at 30 Degree's Farenheit.

Thats seems a little low.

Any other suggestions?

Peter
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got the same result, - 1 C. Be advised that this measures your processor only - not all the heat your Mac is producing.

It still seems inaccurate, but I do know that processors themselves do not (at least not in older Macs, new ones are a totally different story) produce that much heat.

Check out this application instead - System Manager X 1.1 Lists your temp. plus much more.

Download it! http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=14227&db=mac

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really like that one either.

I used to use a program called Gauge Pro, or at least i think thats what it was, and i found it to be excellent. Constantly updating, and in the ballpark temp wise.

Anyone else have any expirience with one of these programs?

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts

I used to use a program called Gauge Pro, or at least i think thats what it was, and i found it to be excellent. Constantly updating, and in the ballpark temp wise.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... Sounds like a possible Konfabulator widget to me. Hey jfpoole...feeling bored again? ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Some of these "Check Temperature" programs check the temperature of the processor - and that was reading a special register in the processor. And if memory serves Motorola removed that register in later versions of 7400/7500. So the data may be skewed. I think Gaugepro (when I boot into 9) thinks my temperature is 3 degrees C - and I've got a version version Dual GHz mac.

John

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts

Anyone else have any expirience with one of these programs?

Peter
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yah
I used to use it too
i didnt know of any other ones, but this one does not work proprerly on newer macs
so I guess you have to try all of the ones listed or move on

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
This a great topic. I have been looking for something like this since I have been using OS X.

with OS9 i was using Gauge Pro.....and I put a request with konfablulator for a widget of this nature.

I'm on B&W G3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts