Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a WD Passport 160 GB USB 2 very, very tiny external HD for my recent birthday and I'm trying to decide how I want to use it. I figured there would be some ehMaccian who might have some excellent advice.

Almost actual size!!

I have a 120 GB internal drive in my PowerMac, partitioned into 80 and 40 (for OS 9 and archives). I have an 80 GB external firewire 400 that I do a complete clone of the main partition on using SuperDuper.

So far I haven't done anything with the drive. I did buy a USB 2 card today and put it in my PowerMac. The little drive is very fast.

One thing I was thinking about is to partition it into an 80 GB part that is formatted HSF for a second clone of my main HD and then leave the rest as a FAT 32 partition that I could plug into any other PC, Mac or Windows, for transferring stuff. The drive is little and portable, so this might be a good option.

Any other ideas? (Much obliged in advance).

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I use a small footprint drive as a backup for my work files. This gets updated more frequently than my bootable backup. You could load it with music and change the itunes library to read from it instead of your main drive. Frees up room onthe main drive.
That's about it from me.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I have a pocket 120GB HD to store media files that I want to carry with me but don't need it on my MBP's 160GB HD, an older 200GB USB HD I backup to once a month and keep offsite (at my office cubicle), and a 320GB FW HD I do daily backups to. I would say your 160GB pocket drive would be a candidate for offsite backup.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
I use a small footprint drive as a backup for my work files. This gets updated more frequently than my bootable backup. You could load it with music and change the itunes library to read from it instead of your main drive. Frees up room onthe main drive.
That's about it from me.
Unfortunately from my experience with USB hard drives and enclosures, the hard drive does not spin down. The drive's going to fail a lot sooner.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Cumbersome! Steve Jobs would not approve of that extra step. Firewire all the way!
Unless it's a modern iPod...

As for the WD Passport 160 GB USB 2, if this was a CostCo purchase, their price has dropped to $129 so go get some price protection and some $$ back.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
One thing I was thinking about is to partition it into an 80 GB part that is formatted HSF for a second clone of my main HD and then leave the rest as a FAT 32 partition
I did not realize a drive could be partitioned in 2 formats...are you sure this is possible?

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Partitioning hard drives to two or more different partitions is a long standing tradition from back in the days where people thought it was inefficient to have one large hard drive partition.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Partitioning hard drives to two or more different partitions is a long standing tradition from back in the days where people thought it was inefficient to have one large hard drive partition.
Sorry, should have been clearer in my question - I have a bunch of drives with multiple partitions.

What I was questioning was whether or not you can have a single drive with 2 partitions, with each partition operating under a different format: in this case HFS and FAT 32.

I understood that you cannot do so, but I may be way off here.

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
You certainly can. Partitions are format independent. Bootcamp is a perfect example.
Yes, yes. I remember now that we were trying to do something in this regard last year and there were some limitations regarding what could be done with the partitions - it wasn't the creation of partitions of a different format that was at issue. My error (a grey moment :( ).

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did not realize a drive could be partitioned in 2 formats...are you sure this is possible?
Actually I just naively assumed that this would be possible. I've never tried this and until I read your question I didn't think it would be a problem. But I guess it is possible, based on Vexel's confirmation. Cheers, guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.