Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you techies out there...can you tell me in real words if it's worth selling my 3 month old 17" PB for the new 17" PB?? Like I've mentioned before, I do A LOT of graphics...photoshop, illustrator, flash, cad, which are usually all opened as i flip back and forth and in the background i have itunes, mail, safari and my ical opened...oh yeah...and sometimes I'm scanning too.

Can you tell me "how much faster" or how much difference and where....I would get out of the new upgraded version....?

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
If your looking at it from a speed aspect the difference you'll see is minimal if any? Doesn't seem to be a huge change with the 17" PB and still now L3 Cache.... Further to try and unload your 17' PB 3mo's after purchasing it and on the eve of a new release your going to take a big hit $$$$ on the resale value. I lease all my machines and it seems that 18mo's is the break even point on a Mac.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
well... it seems there is an improvement in L2 cache (but no L3) and a 33% processor speed boost plus better graphics. So I think it is safe to say there will be a noticeably positive performance bump.

Exactly how big will that bump be? Hard to say without comparing the machines side by side. Where/when will it be most noticeable? In your case, I guess the difference would be most noticeable while rotating and rendering 3D images, applying Photoshop filters etc.

There is a considerable cost in time etc involved with setting up, installing software, projects and tuning your computer and becoming acquainted with its foibles - don't forget to factor that in. Jumping to another machine can often set you back a few days.

But if the performance of your current machine is unsatisfactory... I think you should probably consider a dual processor tower as a replacement instead of the new Powerbook. A Dual 1.25 G4 would blow the doors of the Powerbook. The 2x2 G5 might be more your style and would represent another leap forward - with the promise of greater gains to come as programs become optimised for the G5 processor.

Of course - this is all speculation.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh i know the towers are much better for what i'm doing...but i need portability..hence the reason I got the big screen laptop.

I do understand what you are saying about set up time etc....its such a tough call. If they are shipping now and i could sell mine right away it wouldn't be too bad..i'm not super busy right now. but i would be totally screwed if i got a lemon and had to spend any time without it. better the devil you know then the devil you dont know? I guess i could always wait till xmas. Just thought that i wouldn't lose as much money selling my laptop now, than if i waited to sell at christmas or something. I've only had the laptop a few months so there isn't a ton of stuff to move to the new computer...that's a bonus.

I just wish i could test one out side by side with mine you know?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Pamela, isn't there a Apple store just south of you in the states?
Just nip down and set yours up beside the demo and play away.
If you like it, sell yours there and take the new one back across the border. No one will know the difference between the two. :D
Robert

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ha! don't think I haven't thought of that ;)

But usually they don't have a tough program like photoshop, illustrator, or any cad type program installed for me to test it :(

unless anyone knows of another way to test?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Well, you could wait until 10.2.8 comes out. Then you can take your PB to the store, boot a new PB off of yours (using Firewire disk mode on your PB), and see how fast it is.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
No one is sure when 10.2.8 will come out, but it will come out. Personally I wouldn't sell your 17" for just the next generation as although there is a speed bump, its most likely not worth the extra cash. If you're happy with your current performance of your 17" you can probably get a good year or two of work out of it before an upgrade is wanted. Besides these are believed to be the last G4 laptops with the next version being G5s, although many skeptics don't believe IBM will be able to have enough of the cooler G5 chips available next year.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
uummm...gee mr. 7 posts....I don't remember asking for sarcasm.

I am new to using macs and I am asking about their capabilities. My old PC never lagged like this did yesterday so it seemed odd to me. I thought maybe it was due to something else other than just "doing a billion things at once" which I used to be able to do on my pc. (of course it had other problems..hence the switch) That is why I am asking. And I am also asking if the next model up would take care of this "problem".

And I also apologize for working hard enough to be able to "afford" hardware which I need in order to do my work.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Pamela,

If it started to lag you probably had a bunch of stuff open (and un-saved?) and active in RAM and it started to swap stuff to your hard disk. Another possibility is that one of the apps you were using has a memory leak or some other way of eating away resources. Illustrator is quite the hog if you ask me.

The new model will perform better but not better enough to warrant the cost you will pay to upgrade.

--PB

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hhmmm...that makes sense PB.

I actually had to shut illustrator down and use flash to layout my project....illustrator was just unusable.

It could be that I had unsaved files open too. There was a lot of editing going on for sure...

Are there any other things that I could watch for in the future to prevent the lagging? Should I be restarting my computer once in a while to "clear it" (whatever that means!! but sometimes it sure seems like it helps!)

Also the last time I did a fsck -y it seemed that there was a problem that couldn't be fixed....i redid the command probably 6 times. It was saying something about have 23,134 files instead of 23,133 or something like that. but i got tired of redoing the command and had to get to work.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Go to:

HardDrive/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app

And verify and repair the permissions on your hard drive every once in a while to keep things speedy.

--PB

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i actually did that after the fsck -y got me nowhere. But i wasn't sure if that disk utility program "fixes" EVERYthing....

Is that little program basically all i need to keep things running smoothly?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Here are more comments from the 'great unwashed' (i.e. pretty thin on technology but the odd useful idea):

- There will ALWAYS be another computer slightly newer and faster than yours. If you want to remain sane, keep your machines until something really new comes along (I would say one year from now, like a 17" G5)

- Even in OSX, rebooting every now and then works wonders, so does closing all un-used apps

- I always go for more memory: if you have any space left in your machine, upgrade that stick...

- Photoshop and other 'intensive' apps suggest using a different volume. How about trying out one of those self powered external firewire drives, see if it makes a difference?

- Finally, you could always go to a shop with your install disk of photoshop and desinstall when you are finished...

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Pamela, your symptoms of lagging are most likely due to a ballooning AdobeFnt.lst file.

Illustrator 10 has a nasty habit of not recreating the font cache file and wqhen it gets big it causes Illustrator to slow down big time.

Do a search on your HD for all files with "AdobeFnt.lst". Take a look at the resulting file sizes. I bet you'll find a rather LARGE one. Delete all these files (don't delete any with .db on the end) and relauch Illustrator.

Your speed will return.

If there is any type of "maintenance" on a graphic machine running OS X, its this "AdobeFnt.lst" file business. Hopefully Adobe will fix this bug soon.

Let me know how you make out.

P.S. If you have enough RAM OS X does not bog down any more than a PC will, its simply a matter of find the culprit, in this case its Illustrator.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
While the lac of a L3 cache may look limiting, the increase in the L2 cache and decrease in the size (down to a .13 micron manufacturing process finally) will more than make up for the performance, as well as reduce energy use and generally make it run cooler.

Besides that, the ATI video card is much better in terms of power management, the hard drive is bigger, the processor is faster (in addition to being better as noted above), and the shipping software is newer.

All in all, yes, it is a big improvement. Should you try to trade up to the new one? Only if you don't mind taking a bigger hit than necessary on your pocketbook. As mentioned above, the resale value on the previous models of all the PowerBooks just took a swan dive (the 15's took more of a nose dive) from their previous levels. The best time to move up is typically around 15 to 24 months.

Realistically, you probably don't need the newer model (although want may factor into the equation quite heavily) either, it'll be a good workhorse for you for a while yet.

--PB

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the thing is, I was working my computer quite hard yesterday doing a project...a lot of photo editing, illustrator, word, flash and scanning...going back and forth and back and forth...and i noticed that it was lagging quite a bit by the time i finished my project...it was getting frustrating...the stalling between moves etc....

was i pushing it too hard? will i notice better performance in the next model up? was the lag due to something other than processor speed etc..? It's ironic that it was doing this to me yesterday....i didn't even know they were planning on updating the 17s....and now here i have this opportunity.

just dont know what to do.

i don't mind taking a bit of a hit finacially...if i will see the difference in tasks such as yesterday. if not then i'll stay put.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"I was doing a billion things at once and my computer started to lag a little."

By the way, where did you plant your money tree? I'd like to raid it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts