Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ambitious project I'd like to output on multiple dvds. The trick is I want to create different versions for each dvd. Most of the content will be consistent, but one 3-minute segment will be unique.

So, I want to know what's the best way to output from Final Cut Pro to minimize building time in DVD Studio Pro -- basically that I have dvd-ready media when I build in Studio Pro. Would 1-pass CBR be preferable to 2-pass VBR? Another format? Length is not a problem. Each disc will be about 20 minutes long.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think 2pass VBR is better quality but 1pass CBR takes less time to encode , you can export your project using Compressor and make it DVDSP ready,which means it'll take less time to import the file into DVDSP and you need not reencode.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Hey Klaatu. Not sure what kind of hurry your in, but there is going to be a DVD Studio Pro seminar in Toronto on Dec. the 12th. It's currently wait-listed, but if you just sign up and just show up, I'm pretty sure you'll get in.

Seminar is run by Tim Hagen who is a really good presenter and really knows both FCP and DVD Pro really well and would be able to answer your questions. The preso on DVD Pro goes really in depth talking about encoding and Apple's new encoder, Compressor which is amazing.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ehMac. Unfortunately I do have to figure out most of this within the next week and I think I already have. Funny you should mention Compressor. Out of habit I've been using Quicktime Conversion but I finally took a closer look at Compressor and noticed it had convenient presets for 60 and 90-minute dvds, and a choice of other options. Will do a few tests this weekend but so far it looks dandy.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for pointing out John. I almost gave up checking for responses as it keeps slipping further down the page, and finding the thread is a bit of a challenge. Thank goodness ehMac bounces a thread up with each response

Right now I'm exporting in Compressor using the presets for high quality encode for a 60-minute project. This is definitely the longest part of the process.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Haven't upgraded to FCP 4 yet so I am looking forward to compressor or maybe even more to Livetype . But before I am going need a new G4 or G5 this one is getting long in the tooth.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts