Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow what a great idea!
My sister has MS, so this really means something to me.
I would like to drive in the race, but poor vision prohibits me from cycling in busy areas.
The shirt looks great, I might have to get one of those.
I would also like to come to the dinner after if possible
I can take a flyer to some shops around here if you want, like Light Computer. Just post a PDF for us to distribute.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whoa, who designed those jerseys? (they're great!) I can't be in Toronto to participate, but if you get Apple to sponsor you and have the Apple logo on it, I'd probably spring for a jersey & shipping.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
What's the deadline for joining Team ehMac?

The sooner the better to leave yourself enough time to get lots of pledges. If we're doing the jersey thing, the deadline for ordering and payment will be July 21st. I don't know that the official cutoff is to join the MS Tour. I know they're not accepting an infinite number of riders so at some point they may be at max capacity.

I can take a flyer to some shops around here if you want, like Light Computer. Just post a PDF for us to distribute.

That's a great idea! I'll try to put something together on Monday. Or maybe one of our top designers here on ehMac will put something together kick @$$ that will look really good. I can provide the details and logos etc..

We're not going to raise $10,000 with just funds from ehMac members... we've got to hit the streets, businesses, co-workers, friends and family etc...!

Whoa, who designed those jerseys?

The Canadian Design is a pre-made jersey where I can add text and logos. If we had more lead time, we could do something completely customized. We'll do that for the 2nd annual MS Bike Tour.

I'm glad you like the shirt. Which makes me think, anyone can order the jersey if they like even if they are not biking. 10% will go to the MS fund from each shirt, and maybe one can donate a few
to the MS cause.

Just a note.. donations will be able to be done online directly through the secure MS site. The site isn't really Safari friendly but works ok through other browsers.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
EDIT ehMax This is the original thread that started the whole MS Bike Tour idea. You can read some of the comments here but I have now started a seperate MS Bike Tour forum where you'll get lots more information!

------

Hi there good ehMac Citizens!
Just a quick note about a little project I'm going to be putting together. ehMax your Mayor will be participating in the MS Society Bike Tour to help raise money for victims and families of Mulitple Sclerosis on Sunday, September 7th in Toronto.

On Monday morning you will find two emails from me in your in box. One asking for a pledge of $ support. The other asking you to join Team ehMac and cycle with me in Toronto on Sunday, September 7th. I'm looking for as many individuals to join me as possible and for you to raise your own pledges as well.

On this, our 1st annual ehMac MS Bike Tour, I'm setting the lofty goal of raising $10,000 :eek:
(Yes, you heard me right). We've got some really creative, talented people here on ehMac and I know we can do it!

If I get 12 or more people interested to join me on the Tour, we can look into getting a custom Team ehMac jersey created (The cost will be about $60. 10% of the cost of the jersey will go towards the MS fund). Here's a quick mockup of the design (Apple Logo subject to approval from Apple)

Orders for shirts would need to be in by Monday, July 21st. We'll get a free Team photo taken at the event. There are also quite a few fun prizes for reaching certain levels of sponsorship at well.

More info to come soon! I'll be asking for donations from all ehMac members but it will be practical to participate in the event if you are fairly close to Toronto. I'm encouraging members from other provinces to start their own teams and participate in their local MS Bike Tour. See the bottom of the page for information on rides in your area.

I'll be looking for company sponsors to donate some
. such as *ahem* Apple Canada *ahem* among others. :D

If you're in the GTA, it will be a really fun day biking through some fun scenic sections of Toronto. Maybe we'll have a post tour get together for supper or something too. :cool:

[ July 22, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: ehMax ]

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
FABULOUS idea, Mr. Mayor!!!

I will AT LEAST provide decent sponsorship, if not participate. It's been over 20 years since I straddled my old Sekine 10 speed. Standing in my kitchen (yes, it's just perched there waiting for some well deserved attention), I'm VERY tempted to rebuild the baby and join you.

Question for anyone here; is it possible for a 50 year old, somewhat out of shape, 6'6", 285Lb. guy to whip up into a reasonable state of physical condition in 2 months to endure a 40 - 50km ride? I'd seriously like to try this. I think I can do it!

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I am not in TO, but I have participated in the Super Cities Walk for MS a few times because I have a friend with MS.
If you are selling those Jersy's seperate (Preferably with the Apple Logo) I would be interested in purchasing one just to help the cause!

·
Canadian By Choice
117,393 Posts
An excellent cause, Mr.Mayor. My mother had MS for the last 20 years of her life.

·
Registered
72 Posts
____________________________________Question for anyone here; is it possible for a 50 year old, somewhat out of shape, 6'6", 285Lb. guy to whip up into a reasonable state of physical condition in 2 months to endure a 40 - 50km ride? I'd seriously like to try this. I think I can do it!
my old man is 61 and started riding a couple years ago. now hes in the best shape hes been in since his 30's. you should take in your bike, get it fixed up, and start out with a little ride and see how you feel. the ms thing is NOT a race. i am sure that you could make it! you should absolutely try...

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I hope to get the emails out soon but am having some technical difficulties... hopefully will be sent out soon.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Great idea Mr. Mayor. I am sorely tempted to cycle from North Bay to Toronto, a mere 300+ km, to join you. At the very least you can count on a pledge from me.

Taco Taco Burrito, most people should be able to cycle 40 to 50 km a day (provided the course is relatively flat) after two months of good training. That is cycling at least five km a day (a pretty modest distance)and doing 20 km or more at least once a week.

Two bits of advice, consult a physician just to be sure it's a suitable effort for a somewhat out of shape 50-year-old and get a gel seat.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Email 1 of 2 has been sent out asking members to join Team ehMac to most members who opted to receive email notices from the Mayor! Here's hoping we'll get a sqaud of a least a dozen or more!

Round 2 coming up asking for pledges. Get those credit cards ready.

Did You Know...

- Canadians have one of the highest rates of multiple sclerosis in the world.

- MS is the most common neurological disease affecting young adults in Canada.

- Every day, three more people in Canada are diagnosed with MS.

- Women are twice as likely to develop MS as men. (I don't know about you, but I like women)

- MS can cause loss of balance, impaired speech, extreme fatigue, double vision and paralysis.

- We don't know what causes MS but researchers are close to finding the answer.

------

On The Road To Fight MS

My name is Rebecca Naylor. In 1997 I was diagnosed with MS. I was 17 years old. My father had been diagnosed with MS ten years earlier at age 35, and my uncle would be diagnosed with MS just a few years later at age 59. MS lives and breathes in our family.

We are not alone. MS affects 1 in 500 Canadians.

At 17, I thought I was invincible. I thought illness was something that happened to other people. But it happened to me. And it could happen to you. I was able to persevere only with the intense support of my family, my friends, and the MS Society of Canada. I am now 23, and I am proud to say that I am currently completing my second degree.

Last summer I challenged myself to cycle in the MS Bike Tours. As the event began, I had little hope of ever reaching the finish line. However, with the gift of an amazing support system, I was able to push myself to the limit. I cycled 50km in 4 hours, and I strongly believe that every kilometer brought me closer to a cure. The day of the Tour was filled with sunshine, laughter, power and determination. It will live in my memory forever.

The MS Society needs your help right now. As a fellow alumni, you helped to raise $1.2 million for this province in 2002! Register now for the 2003 MS Bike Tours. You can register as an individual, or challenge yourself to organize a team. The funds that you raise will help to support people like me and my family. With your support, we can begin to envision a world free of MS.

Rebecca Naylor
Cyclist

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I have to remind everyone that Safari doesn't seem to like the MS site very much. You will get a message that states:

That's probably not going to instil confidence in some people. If you access the site through Internet Explorer or Netscape, you don't get the message. Also, you can click continue and the site will continue to work securely.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Thanks RTC!!!

Actually, it still make a secure connection in Safari (Check out the closed padlock icon in top right hand corner of your Safari browser when connected), you just get the annoying message that makes me look like I'm trying to rip people off or something. :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts