Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what compression is better, and why. Or is RAR better??
I cant seem to find anything about that, mabey im just not searchin the right terms!

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I'm sending to a computer user (unkown Mac or PC), I zip it with Drop Zip included in the free version of stuffit tools. If It is a Mac user, I always send as .sit. I'm not that confident with .dmg as I have downloaded many files compressed in this format only find they are corrupt.

·
Registered
719 Posts
.sit is pretty well a mac format

rar is ( I think) UNIX

If I am backing up for myself, or sending a file to a Mac user, I always use .sit

<sigh> what ever happened to .dd

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The big advantage with .tar (and, by extension, .tar.gz files) is that they're insanely portable. Windows users (using WinZip) can untar them. Just about every Unix machine out there can untar them (right out of the box, to boot).

I'm not sure how portable .sit files are, though. I'd stick with .tar.gz files unless you know you're going to be targetting Mac users exclusively.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Britnell:
.sit is pretty well a mac format

rar is ( I think) UNIX

If I am backing up for myself, or sending a file to a Mac user, I always use .sit

<sigh> what ever happened to .dd
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being a pc user, I've only seen rar in extreme cases of HUGE file sizeness. (Yes that's a word). Like program installation size.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
RAR is not UNIX specific anyway, as I have a Windows using friend who uses it all the time. The nice thing about it is that you can split the archives up, so when you have "an extreme case of HUGE file sizeness" you can make say, 25 5 meg files instead of one 125 meg file for easier download.

I don't know if stuffit can do this, but DiskCopy can (make a compressed .dmg or .smi in a few parts).

Stuffit is readily available for Mac OS, Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and Solaris, but only comes pre-installed on Macs.

If you are targetting the mac demographic specifically, also try Disk Copy for a compressed .dmg or .smi file, as they tend to work wuite nicely.

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stuffit Deluxe allows you to segment files in .sit, .tar, and .zip and format for CD, floppy, zip and a few others I think.

Im mainly interested in seeing if one was more reliable than the other or anything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts