1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
She ordered that cash from sales of the Helmsley's residences and belongings, reported to be worth billions, be sold and that the money be given to the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.
doesn't seem too bad in this context. billions for philanthropy, yet the dog gets the headline.

also, the headline about 'nothing for grandkids' is misleading. 2 of her grandkids get several million each. the other two don't get anything for 'reasons that are known to them'.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Well, this was the woman who haughtily observed that taxes were for the little people. A woman with a shoe fetish writ large. She kind of lived a different life from you or I. From the outside looking in, sure - she looked like an entitled nutbar. But that's probably the only side of the story that ever caught the public's attention.

On the other hand, it's her estate, her dough - and it was her right to do have done with it what she pleased. Too, you can't talk reason to some people when it comes to their pets.

And now she's dead and gone. I'm guessing there's precious little anyone can do to contest the will.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
the other side of the story:

Although Helmsley's reputation as the "Queen of Mean" is sealed, Helmsley was generous in her charitable contributions after her prison term. After September 11, 2001, she donated five million dollars to help families of New York firefighters. Among other contributions, she also gave $25 million dollars to New York's Presbyterian Hospital for medical research.
Leona Helmsley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
true true, I saw the headline and thought wow what a selfish person! well, point taken and I was too quick on the draw to point fingers at her. It still doesn't make sense as to why the dog needs money though! oh well like someone said it's her dough!

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
She also left millions for her brother, Alvin Rosenthal, who was named to care for Trouble in her absence, as well as two of four grandchildren from her late son Jay Panzirer -- so long as they visit their father's grave site once each calendar year.

Otherwise, she wrote, neither will get a penny of the $5 million she left for each of them.
5 million and all they have to do is visit a grave site ONCE PER CALENDAR YEAR

where do i sign up?
;)

altho' i wonder how they monitor the visits and the money
do they get the 5 million and have to provide proof each year that they visited the grave or return the money?
and what if they become too ill to travel?

ah the problems of the rich and arrogant
just like lord tubby and his "dog"

·
Premium Member
42,903 Posts
I can think of plenty of people who have treated their relatives so badly they deserve sweet nothing. The money going to her dogs will eventually filter into the economy and become a historical footnote.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The press figures we would rather read about what a heartless rich b!tch she was.
I would argue that the press came to that conclusion after spending years watching circulation go up when a celeb was dominating the news cycle and dipping whenever it was actual news.

So, it's not really the press 'figuring' anything. Generally speaking, people actually would rather read about celeb gossip than hard hitting news.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Do go on...

I would argue that the press came to that conclusion after spending years watching circulation go up when a celeb was dominating the news cycle and dipping whenever it was actual news.

So, it's not really the press 'figuring' anything. Generally speaking, people actually would rather read about celeb gossip than hard hitting news.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Yo Marsh - I ain't disagreeing with you. I was putting it in a genteel way. In my experience, people don't like to hear that the media is the way it is because the masses watch it/read it/soak it up. Easier to blame the big bad media.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts