Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be making a business trip to Britain, and will need to take my PowerBook (a G3/400 Pismo) to make a presentation. I know I need a 3-prong adapter to plug into a British outlet, but do I need to take a voltage converter as well? I seem to recall that the PowerBooks (at least the old ones) can handle the 220/240 volts of European electrical systems and if so, I'd rather leave the converter at home and save the weight.

·
Registered
656 Posts
as far as i know, the power adapter on most, if not all notebooks should have a built-in converter, from 110v to 220/240v. you should be fine. check the power adapter. it should say so.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
No, you need nothing more than the wall adapter.

I have travelled extensively through Europe with a PowerBook (including London) and can say with authority that you do not need anything else. Your current Apple power adapter is all you need.

However, you may have difficulty finding an on-board plug adapter that will allow you to plug in your baby to save battery life on the plane. Damned airlines. :rolleyes:

But, once you are on the ground...you will have no problems.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The three prong UK adaptors can be had at most airports and the power supply is auto-switching. I have the white, square power adaptor for my G4 laptop and there is actually a prong adaptor kit for most countries available for it (and iPods). However, it won't won't work for the yo-yo like power adaptor.

You will need a phone adaptor too if you want to connect to the net via your modem. These are pretty cheap. Dixons sells them (and the three prong adaptor) at all of the Heathrow terminals.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
the adapter is all you need, Try to get it b4 you leave. They'll gouge you for $$ @ the airport if you get it there. I was just in France in Jan and assuming that it is the same outlets, you should be fine with the adapter (I bought the 2 prong one).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts