Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a few hours tracking down info on the Sony Ericsson T68i (seemingly the phone upon which Jaguar Bluetooth and iSync information is centred around).

These are common place in Europe and are becoming so in the US. Prices for unlocked phones there are quite high (I looked around in Houston and was quoted US$500.

There are two places in Toronto that I found currently sell these phones. Lennox Paging on Bloor and ElectroTime (363 Yonge). They both charge C$599 if you open a Fido account, C$699 without. ElectroTime also has Ericsson T68s that have been flashed with the 68i software for C$550.

However, I also found out that Fido is introducing the T68i (to Ontario at least) on October 20th. I don't know the price though. I think I'll wait till then to check the Fido price.

As an aside, ElectroTime also sells the Sony Ericsson T600. If you don't want/need Bluetooth, this is one gorgeous GSM phone.

[update] seems Rogers AT&T also sell the T68i for C$350 with a 2 year plan (locked). Not sure if these are available in Ontario and the GSM coverage of Rogers is supposedly not as good as Fido.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a T68i here in Victoria for ~ $325 after a rebate and a two year plan ballandchain with Rogers AT&T. It seems to be going well...its a fairly complicated little device. Rogers doens't officially support it yet, so it has been a bit frustrating getting info from them on data use. Also, I am patiently waiting for apple to send me my bluetooth thingy. i am working on an older PBook (bronze), so the irDA port is not supported in Jaguar (i think).
I would recommend for people to get this phone, if they are interested in its use as a modem, its packed full of web access features. Although, its a bit dissapointing how the Sonyericcson site doesn't really have any mac support. Yet there is a bit at esato.com.

Hope this helps?

nick

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just succumbed to the same deal in Ontario (despite being told last month that Rogers AT&T would not be selling the T68i in Ontario). The two year deal for ~350 is pretty good compared with 650 from Fido (in a couple of weeks).

I've got the BT dongle but am now charging the phone. I bought WAP access too. Although Rogers hasn't a clue when it comes to Macs, that's why I got the phone. There are already several programs that run under X for the 68i from third parties and Apple is making the 68i its flagship for iSync and Bluetooth (at least until something better comes out). There are other phones in the offing (T600 and P800) but not for another year or so.

I'll keep you posted on my efforts to get everything running.....

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've paired and synched my iCal and Addressbook with the phone as well as activating the addressbook-Bluetooth links. Haven't worked out how to activate WAP and GPRS yet.

As you mentioned, Esato is a useful site, as is Howard Forums and SEM User.

Here are a few apps for OS X and the T68i:

Theme editor . Allows you to create background themes.

T68i dialer . Autodialing (esp when using BT headset).

And the Bluetooth-Mac mailing list is also a wealth of information:
[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

I have been stumbling through WAP...rogers gave me a business account for free for the first two months! It is neat being able to email, check weather, bank and read news from the phone as I walk the dog. It actually came in handy when I wanted to know what the wind forcast for sailing today be like. Now I am just patiently waiting for the bluetooth. But now I have some apps and sites to look up.

Thanks...

oh by the way...they are updating the SonyEriccson site now...so I think they are officially releasing the P300 (maybe even the p800!). Also, I read that the phone's software has been updated. It seems as if this has to be done at a the service provider's store. I think it speeds it up and also fixes the battery-life innacuracy.

Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh well, I was wrong about the release of the t300 and p800...But I am pretty sure I am right about the software update. Now If I could just remember where I read it!

n

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another goody....

Here's a gif of the Jaguar logo formatted for a T68i screen. To load it onto your T68i via BlueTooth, the easiest way is via the BlueTooth File Exchange utility that's in the Utilities folder in Applications. It's a simple drag and drop app. No instructions. Make your phone discoverable and then drag the gif onto the app icon. The phone should be recognized. Select it and the transfer will initiate. Click "yes" or press the joystick on the phone when it asks whether you want to accept the transfer. Then go to Settings -> Display->Background and select the picture.

Fun, fun, fun.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts