Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY Systems Preferences application craps out when I try to change my Desktop picture. The current picture is in a large folder of other pictures on an external drive, and I suspect this might be the problem, but I am unable to change the target folder. All of the other systems in the preference application work fine, so I believe he application itself is OK. Anyone have an idea how I might get around this problem?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
boot in safe mode and try again.
hold down the shift key.

·
Premium Member
17,953 Posts
Delete from your /Users/username/Library/Preferences/ folder:
  • com.apple.systempreferences.plist
  • com.apple.systempreferences.plist.lockfile

Open System Preferences again.

Report success / failure. :)

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
MY Systems Preferences application craps out when I try to change my Desktop picture. The current picture is in a large folder of other pictures on an external drive, and I suspect this might be the problem, but I am unable to change the target folder. All of the other systems in the preference application work fine, so I believe he application itself is OK. Anyone have an idea how I might get around this problem?
It's an easy test if that's the problem. Disconnect the external drive and restart. You should have a generic background picture, and if that was the issue System Preferences will be back to normal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John Clay, thanks for the easy tip, worked a treat. And thanks to all the other who took the time to help me out. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts