Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I would like some feed back on what I should do. I own a G4350 tower and a G3 300 Wallstreet PB. I hope to be employed in an government office in the spring. The problem I face is dealing with the PC enviroment with my PB. I know running Jaguar will solve networking, but is my PB up to Jag. (doubtful by what I've read so far on the net)
Anyway, my main programs are Illust., Photoshop, Quark and AW.
Heavy in the Illust. use. So a 14" screen is important.
I guess what I would like to know is, do I trade my WS in for a Pismo,(thus getting the 14"screen) or upgrade the heck out of the WS(HD and ram) and deal with slow speeds.(OS10.1.3 is highest?)
Any other options I am missing.(excluding an external monitor) The G4's are still very expensive, so I don't know if I could swing getting one.(?)
Thanx for any and all information,
Robert

·
Registered
656 Posts
we got a wallstreet 250 MHz, running jaguar.. it's a bit slow, but the RAM isn't maxed out on it. otherwise, it's running pretty good.. not bad for a 5 year old machine... running photoshop and illustrator, though? probably not a good idea...

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
A G4 would be beneficial for the OS and applications you're running, but it sounds like you're on a budget. Maybe a Pismo will do. How much are the G4 upgrades for a pismo? There's also a new G3 800MHz upgrade for the pismo, but since it's new it's probably pricey. There was a Ti500 or Ti550 for sale in the Trading forum. Don't know if it's cheap enough for you.

If I was trading up my Pismo to a new Powerbook, I'd sell you mine. But I'm keeping mine till the 15" Powerbooks get updated - I want a 15" screen, but the new features of the Powerbooks too. Then again, I might keep my pismo forever - it's a great PB - even if I buy a new PB.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kosh, what OS are you running on your pismo? Is there a relistic cut off for PB's running Jag?(G4 only?)
The other reason for the pismo is the higher bus speed and vram. I believe these help run X better.
Processor cards are an option, but the improvements in design of the pismo make it more atractive an option. (lighter, bus, vram,etc)
I think the video card is also improved on the pismo.
Does anyone have any recommondations on what PB is go to run OSX and Illus 10 on? I thought a pismo could do a good job of it. Any thoughts?
Robert :(

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I'm running OS 9.2.2 on it still. I just use it for web surfing, Word, Excel, and a bit of gaming.

The pismo will run OS X and all the applications you listed, I'm just not sure if the speed will be acceptable in Photoshop and Illustrator. By the way Quark doesn't have an OS X version.

Are you running OS X on the G4 350 desktop you have? Are you happy with the speed of OS X on the G4 350? If you are, I'd say you should find OS X running acceptably on the pismo. It wouldn't be any worse. After all it's a personal thing of whether the speed is enough for you. What one person finds acceptable, another may not.

Make sure you have enough RAM (at least 512MB) on that pismo. OS X and photoshop love RAM.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kosh, I'm running OSX.2.2 on the G4 with 896mb ram. No problem with speed/slowness. Its relative, I guess, when people say X is slow on their mac.
I do a lot of b&w line art in Illus. so slow downs for me would be in saving and refreshing and scrolling. This was the case in my old PM7300.
I know about Quark :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: . Its the only app left on my partitioned HD.(I don't like quark much these days)
I would use the PB for drawing,composing pictures and word processing.
So it sounds like a pismo isn't a bad choice?
Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts