Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my other [non-Apple] phones, I was able to sync using bluetooth on my Macbook. Is there any reason why I can not do so with the iPhone 3GS ... or is there a way I can do so? (SPECIFICALLY) use bluetooth to sync the phone?

Bluetooth on my laptop (OSX 1.6.2) shows only one option available with the iPhone: "connect to network":( (viz. Rogers Wireless). I cannot browse or send files to the phone via bluetooth. :mad:

Is this a limitation / restriction of the much touted iPhone, or is this a limitation (unlikely) imposed by my ISP?

FWIW: I do NOT use tethering, or is it enabled either on my phone or laptop....

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can't use Bluetooth to sync your iPhone with your Mac. This is a limitation Apple has imposed on the iPhone. Bluetooth on the iPhone is limited to tethering using your Mac (which you can also do through USB), and connecting to Bluetooth devices such as headphones or other hands free devices.

You can enable tethering on your iPhone through Settings / General / Network, once you have paired it with your Mac, or through USB, as mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
There is no bluetooth syncing for the iphone, just what are you trying to sync? Media files are slow enough to sync via USB, bluetooth would take forever... for contacts/calander/email I would STRONGLY encourage you to look into "cloud" based syncing services, IMHO the easiest way to keep everything in sync between all your computers, the iphone, and have still have access to all your info, elsewhere. Google is by far the best free one, and while I like MobileMe it is really rather expensive, esp. when compared to Google.

·
Registered
110 Posts
As was stated, you shouldn't want to do this, becaue Apple thinks you shouldn't want to do this. Although other handhelds can do the sync, iPhones can't. I know it's terribly convenient and flexible, but again, since Apple says you can't, you shouldn't want to. Bad boy.....bad!

On a nonrelated note... if you are jailbroken, there is an app that will let you move files over bluetooth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As was stated, you shouldn't want to do this, becaue Apple thinks you shouldn't want to do this. Although other handhelds can do the sync, iPhones can't. I know it's terribly convenient and flexible, but again, since Apple says you can't, you shouldn't want to. Bad boy.....bad!

On a nonrelated note... if you are jailbroken, there is an app that will let you move files over bluetooth.
I used to be able to sync the addressbook and calendar on my mac and on my linux machine with Sony Ericsson cellphones. Wonder why, the more I deal with Apple hardware / software, the more I feel like I'm dealing with MICROSOFT????:mad:

I have nothing against connecting via USB to transfer large files (audio, video) but to simply update the address book and calendar??:rolleyes:

... and no the phone is not jailbroken ... YET!

What else does APPLE think I should not do?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts