Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to sync all my Mac files to my iPad Pro without using iCloud Drive? I really don’t want to get into extra fees to use the Cloud for this. Is there any particular app that will do this? I am a paid user of SuperDuper but I don’t believe it has this capability.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I think you would need some sort of online storage. You could use Dropbox or One Drive, but then you are paying for them so why not pay for Apple Cloud storage as you already iCloud. Not sure if there is any free options and pretty sure I would not trust a free online storage solution.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
I really don’t want to get into extra fees to use the Cloud for this. Is there any particular app that will do this?
Did you try doing a Google search for what you are wanting to do???

Lots of choices are provided with such a search:

But this specific one may be right up your alley, not forgetting that all Macs and iDevices usually have a means for doing basic file sharing such as suggested here:
Transfer files between iPad and your computer

Nothing else needed except possibly a cable and you probably already have what you need.

Local file sharing will probably be a lot faster than any Cloud stuff as well as being free. Especially as it will probably only be going only one way. Not up to any cloud and then back down again that is needed with cloud syncing... 😏

PS: my apologies for my delay in posting as I didn't see your post earlier for some reason.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
8 Posts
The solution I use is ChronoSync, by Econ Technologies <https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html> . I have been using it for probably 10 years and it is bulletproof. I do a bidirectional sync between my MacBook Pro and an old G5, that is used only for storing a copy of my files. I, also, use Backblaze but that has a monthly fee. ChronoSync does cost $49.99, but it is only a one time fee. It has been updated consistently over the years and it does a lot more than bidirectional syncs. There is, also, a ChronoSync Express, $24.99, but you would have to check to see if it will do what you need. There is a free trial of ChronoSync, as well. I have no affiliation with ChronoSync, other than as a completely satisfied customer. Glenn

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have Chronosync but is it possible to sync to iOS?
Looks like this is how to do it, using InterConneX.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
I think he's looking to sync the files, not just basic file transfer.

Basically no real difference as long as the user is aware of which version is which.

Syncing just means to manually or automatically copy or delete files as needed to ensure that two locations have an identical set of files. One can do the same thing using file transfer.

But then again, that's one of the main purposes of syncing software, it should relieve the user's brains from having to think about it and do the transfer work according to their needs.

PS: isn't such a function part of the latest versions of iMazing.app which I believe is on sale lately(do a web search).

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing is… I want to keep the same folder hierarchy as I have on my Mac. Some apps sync your files in their own order.

·
peek-a-boo
16,586 Posts
I used to use chronosync a while back. It was the best and easiest app for the job, and it maintained the heirarchy and removed all guess work as to which file was the newer updated one, which was very key for me. Doing this manually would be an absolute nightmare and resulted in too many mishaps so that’s where chronosync came in. There may be similar apps since that accomplish the same thing.

·
Premium Member
15,660 Posts
Doing this manually would be an absolute nightmare and resulted in too many mishaps so that’s where chronosync came in. There may be similar apps since that accomplish the same thing.

It certainly still gets good reviews from the users which is an excellent sign and endorsement:

Not many other equivalent applications listed other than the usual Mac cloning/backup applications.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Chronosync but is it possible to sync to iOS?
Looks like this is how to do it, using InterConneX.
The video specifically states he is "syncing" between his Mac and iPad. However, I would contact Econtechnologies directly. They have always been very responsive to any inquiries I have had. Glenn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts